Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Todd Cantwell. One of our own.

Watched a lot of highlights today. Todd was superb when he came into the team after Hernandez’s injury. His vision and passing is great and for someone so young there’s so much more to come it seems. Also a Dereham lad like me so extra special to see one of our own have a great season.

When we played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last season, some Chelsea supporters were asking me about Cantwell after he came on for us. They thought Todd looked a top talent, and of course, I agreed! Seems funny to think that when we sold the twins, we perhaps thought we were losing our main youth talents, but little did we know.

Todd is a bit behind Aaron's Godfrey and Lewis in terms of development but still hasn't looked out of place when covering for the first team regulars. More to come from him, what a fantastic youth system we have now. The academy one status is certainly cutting its teeth now

• Like 1

The fact he's a slight cut below our other superstar youngsters means we'll probably keep him here for many years. As much as we love watching Lewis/Aarons/Godfrey/Buendia they aren't going to stick around too long, they're just too good, too valuable and will all play regularly for top 6 clubs.

Cantwell is more than good enough for us and won't be on the radar of bigger clubs, I'm hoping he's our long term Wes replacement. He's already a decent championship player and there looks to be a lot of growth to come as he occasionally shows flashes of real quality. He could eventually develop into PL quality player provided he keeps working and Farke sticks around long enough to coach him into one. 

Saying that though, I think the best choice would be to loan him back to the Championship next year. He needs to be playing every week and he would be behind in the pecking order here. I'm sure with the reputation our young players have plenty of Championship clubs would happily take him for a year and he's good enough to play every week for plenty of teams in that league. 

6 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

The fact he's a slight cut below our other superstar youngsters means we'll probably keep him here for many years. As much as we love watching Lewis/Aarons/Godfrey/Buendia they aren't going to stick around too long, they're just too good, too valuable and will all play regularly for top 6 clubs.

Cantwell is more than good enough for us and won't be on the radar of bigger clubs, I'm hoping he's our long term Wes replacement. He's already a decent championship player and there looks to be a lot of growth to come as he occasionally shows flashes of real quality. He could eventually develop into PL quality player provided he keeps working and Farke sticks around long enough to coach him into one. 

Saying that though, I think the best choice would be to loan him back to the Championship next year. He needs to be playing every week and he would be behind in the pecking order here. I'm sure with the reputation our young players have plenty of Championship clubs would happily take him for a year and he's good enough to play every week for plenty of teams in that league. 

That's going to be a dilemma for City and Todd this summer. Does he stick around, in the hope he might get a chance, get the benefit of Farke's coaching, but risk not playing much first team football, if any. Or a guaranteed 90 minutes a week in a tough league. As he was prepared to go abroad to further his career I'm sure he's sensible and well advised enough to make a wise decision. Good luck to him.

I think it'd be best for everyone if we loan him out. That way, he gets regular game time which he needs to develop and we can sign a more 'ready-made' reliable option for the first team squad. If he stays, I don't think he'll play that much, and he'd learn more from a full season of playing in the Championship.

First thing Todd should do is grow his hair again, he seemed much stronger when it was longer Do Leeds have an undercover Barber in their spying department?  

• Like 1

Todd is a great prospect and had not looked out of place this season.

The best thing for him now, is a full season of football with consistent 90mins. For that reason, I think a championship loan is the best bet.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

First thing Todd should do is grow his hair again, he seemed much stronger when it was longer Do Leeds have an undercover Barber in their spying department?  

I have the inside track on young Mr Cantwell as my mum is good work friends with his mum in a well known grocery store in Dereham - he cut his hair because the hairdresser messed up his highlights and his gf prefers it shorter! So we won't see his Samson-esque barnet again for some time!

But yes, Todd is a gentleman too. ✌️

9 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Todd is a great prospect and had not looked out of place this season.

The best thing for him now, is a full season of football with consistent 90mins. For that reason, I think a championship loan is the best bet.

Unless and until we buy or loan an understudy for Buendia, Cantwell is it and I wouldn't want him going on loan. We are linked to Kasey Palmer and Reece James so one of them maybe a better option in that role if Farke does indeed want Cantwell to get a full season.

37 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Unless and until we buy or loan an understudy for Buendia, Cantwell is it and I wouldn't want him going on loan. We are linked to Kasey Palmer and Reece James so one of them maybe a better option in that role if Farke does indeed want Cantwell to get a full season.

Todd is only 10 months or so younger than Emi.  What he needs is what Emi had last season, an entire season at a good level like the championship.  When he comes back, he'll be miles better off for the experience versus getting 10 - 15 minutes every month in the prem.

42 minutes ago, Orly said:

Todd is only 10 months or so younger than Emi.  What he needs is what Emi had last season, an entire season at a good level like the championship.  When he comes back, he'll be miles better off for the experience versus getting 10 - 15 minutes every month in the prem.

But if he is Emis understudy and the Duracell Bueni  gets injured, and Todds out on loan, what then? personally i thought he looked more comfortable as Onels replacement than as Emis.