Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Now lets be honest, when the 'Farke sort it out' chants rang loud and clear amongst the Yellow Army at Portaloo Road after Ipswich had taken the lead on Sunday September 2nd, was there a single Yellow who would have predicted what would have happened over the following 8 months??

Of course not. As a less than avid supporter of 'The Project / Webber and Farke' I'm more than happy to 'eat humble pie'. It's been a fantastic run to promotion with excitement galore and some truly exhilarating football. More of that in a separate post.

On the subject of Chris Wilder, though, I like many Yellows found his behaviour at the Battle of Bramall Lane last season very distasteful and totally lacking in any class whatsoever. On a personal level I still regard him as an arrogant **** yet it is churlish to dismiss his record at United and what they, too, have achieved this season. In fact on some fronts I actually prefer him to Farke despite the howls of vitriol readers will surely hurl my way. Let me explain.

1. From Day One I have been bored to tears by the verbal diarrhoea that constitutes an 'interview' with Daniel Farke on Rodeo Norfolk. Maybe that's just 'how they are' in Germany but I'm damn sure most native Brits prefer some straight talking and a 'straight answer to a straight question' style with some humour and sarcasm thrown in for good measure. That straight talking style is what you get with Wilder. You may not always agree with the guy but at least he answers the question!

2. United's playing style whilst not the true 'continental' passing game that we play is, nonetheless, far from the 'dinosaur' approach that some Yellows label Wilders team. They have scored more goals away from home than every other team apart from City whilst only Villa, Brentford and City have scored more at home than them. If you watched the highly entertaining 2-2 draw in January at FCR, there were only brief spells when our passing game threatened to overwhelm them. They were competitive, quick and really bold going forward often committing more men attacking than we did. At times we really had to dig deep to hang on for the point.

3. Unlike Farke who has to be dragged seemingly against his preference to introduce substitutes let along actually change the team, Wilder has no such 'hang ups'. A case in point was home match v Reading a couple of months or so ago. Both strikers were rested and two others brought in. It made not a jot of difference as United romped home 4-0 and I think both guys scored. Wilder was keen (and bold enough) to 'use his squad' and keep players involved. Farke has stuck rigidly with the same team once results started coming in and of course who could argue against that as the end has justified the means. In my opinion, though, the flexibility shown by Wilder could be crucial next season. It's all down to the quality at the managers disposal of course but how a manager uses his squad and adapts his playing style will be pivotal in deciding which of the two clubs fares better in a few months time.

Finally, just to clarify (again) my distaste of Wilder as a person and equally of United. I have found visits to Bramall Lane far less friendly than just the other side of the city to Hillsborough where the welcome has always been warm and good humoured. That said, if you actually look objectively at what Wilder and United have achieved you have to acknowledge and respect their success. The guy was not voted Championship Manger of the Season for nothing!

      

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% prefer Farke.

Wilder is a tosspot, Farke is pure class.

You said it yourself, we have scored more goals than Sheff U's attacking style that you're lauding.

Farke had to sell 40% of last season's goals, and our best players last season. Wilder has never had to deal with that kind of pressure.

Farke took a team that finished lower than Sheff last season, spent less money than Wilder and we scored more goals en route to a probable trophy. 

Wilder doesn't have the coaching skills Farke has. Every single one of the city team have improved markedly as players under his stewardship. Wilder has improved their team in terms of playing to his system, but he hasn't really improved individual players.

Farke has no fear about chucking our kids in. Wilder has given a total of 2 academy products 4 appearances over the season. That's it.

 

I'm not dismissing what Wilder has done, he's done a brilliant job there, but Paul Lambert should be the reference point for him. He created a strong unity in the squad, and has ridden the momentum from League one all the way through to the Prem. Not sure how long he can carry that on at Sheff, but he would be an utter disaster if he went anywhere else, whereas I absolutely think Farke is the more competent and could succeed somewhere else.

Sidenote: I can't believe you called Farke's interviews verbal diaorrhea and then proceeded to **** yourself senseless over Wilder's incoherent ramblings about how us getting stuck in traffic and getting to Brammall Lane late was one of the reasons we beat them. Absolutely bizarre. Wilder has improved since then with his interviews, but he's still just a rambling tw@ who says lots of words but absolutely nothing coherent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im going to assume this post is a joke?

We're top of the league, have been promoted and you consider now an appropriate time to say that you prefer a different manager? Very confusing. Maybe if Wilder didn't chop and change they would be top of the league?

The stuff about the interview is also strange and the only way I can read it is that you have a distaste for Germans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst impressive, Farkes achievements and how he’s overhauled the whole club (with Webber) far far outweigh Wilders.

Couldnt give a toss what a manager says in an interview, it’s on the pitch that counts. (Though Farkes interviews are class, all too often Wilder just gets emotional and embarrassing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always find Farke’s interviews very interesting, and normally quite funny. Each to their own, but his sense of humour makes me laugh and I think he’s a great bloke 👍

Happy to eat my words but I think Wilder and Sheff Utd will fill a relegation spot next season, I think they’ll prove to be a classic ‘good in the championship, crap in the premier league’ team. And equally, I can see this City side as next season’s surprise package, our style should lend itself to the Premier League very well, and as long as we can tighten up slightly at the back, I can see the creativity, pace, and industry of our forward players causing anyone a problem. The ability is there, of that there is no doubt for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To clarify, you prefer Wilder to Farke "in some instances" because:

1) He is straight talking; I've found Farke to be very eloquent, humorous and get his point across, whilst maintaining an air of dignity. All in a foreign language.

2) Wilder plays good - but not as good as Farke - football and has a good - but not as good as Farke - away record; No comment required to this.

3) He uses subs earlier / changes the starting line-up - but Farke has more points - so the end justifies the means; maybe if Wilder had used the same starting line-up, they would have got in a better rhythm and been above us? Who knows.

Wilder has done a cracking job for them, but personally, I can't stand him and would not want him anywhere near our team. The key point above is Farke maintaining dignity, I do not believe that to be the case for Wilder. 

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thank you for sharing your opinion yellowrider. Please allow me a riposte.

In your first point you lament the loquacious nature of Farke's interviews. Yet you shroud the point of this criticism with the irony of your own verbosity.

I take no umbrage with your second point. I do believe Wilder has  a distinctive style and that it is far from prehistoric.

Your final point returns me to my previous vexed state induced by your first. Your previous point implies that with Wilder's approach there is indeed more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Yet you now criticise Farke's own game management and consider it in some way inferior to that of Wilder's sImply because less change is involved. Please do  not confuse consistency with inflexibility. Too often managers "tinker" with a system that may have been best left alone.

Edited by CanaryChris
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jk147 said:

im going to assume this post is a joke?

We're top of the league, have been promoted and you consider now an appropriate time to say that you prefer a different manager? Very confusing. Maybe if Wilder didn't chop and change they would be top of the league?

The stuff about the interview is also strange and the only way I can read it is that you have a distaste for Germans.

No joke jk147 just my honest appraisal of Farke v Wilder in some areas. Of course now we've been promoted Farke is the new Messiah and can do NOTHING wrong in eyes of Yellows. How many were voicing serious misgivings in early September I wonder?

Equally, should we get off to a less than auspicious start in August, I wonder how long it will be before 'the worm turns'. Just a thought.  

I did not say I wanted Wilder to replace Farke or that I consider him a better manager or that I.....'prefer a different manager'. I have merely mentioned some aspects of Wilders / United's overall 'style' that I prefer. There are other aspects where Farke has the edge e.g. the development of the youngsters and the courage to play them + the attractive style of football he plays.

Re the interview style of Farke, I have no 'distaste' of Germans at all. It's you who are making that insinuation, not me. I only mentioned 'Germans' because from what I've heard, Klopp also has a tendency to ramble (albeit usually to a lesser degree than DF). I was merely stating my personal preference for a 'straight talking' style v the long winded response of those like Farke who at the end of it all has you scratching your head and thinking...………………….'did he actually answer the question'??. If you (and others) can remember the boy Grant (that's Peter not Holt), he was similar to Farke in that he went on and on and on. Similarly I buried my head in my hands during any interview with the original Messiah as I couldn't hear / understand what he was saying. Does that mean I have a distaste for Scots then by your logic??.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"Yes, he might have pulled off one of the best promotions in the history of Norwich City, but I don't like his interview technique". So basically, you called it wrong massively on Farke and now desperately trying to justify that somewhat by picking at really minor things you don't like about him/his style? Not sure why you felt the need to start a thread for this two days after our promotion was confirmed, but whatever.

I am sure there are things Daniel himself will suggest he could have done better throughout the season, and I am sure as a young manager/coach he has learnt a lot, but ultimately his decisions are only judged as mistakes in hindsight - and in hindsight he has got us on the brink of winning the title in the most unlikely of circumstances.

Edited by Ian
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow OP, that's a really strange post, if you're not purely a troll you certainly sound a lot like one !

 

So basically you're saying...

 

1. You don't like Farke's interview style. OK, I think he comes across very clearly and eloquently, especially as he's not a native English speaker.  each to his own.

 

2.  Sheffield Utd's style is not as bad as many say it is.  Well, most of us would agree, and it's not surprising that they've actually played some decent football given they have qualified for automatic promotion.  But so what ?

 

3.  He's willing to make substitutions earlier and change the squad around more than Farke.  Ok, but given Farke's side is now top after 45 games, he's not done so badly, the fact that another manager is willing to make substitutes earlier... so what ?

Edited by It's Character Forming
Pressed post too soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilder has done a fantastic job there (and in his previous jobs as well) and there is no doubt he's a decent manager but I find him to be a charmless, bitter individual who I really don't like. His interviews after they got promoted this weekend have been typically angry and charmless. I'd take Farke every time.

The only area I would agree with the OP is on the subs/squad rotation where personally I would prefer Farke to use the squad a bit more from time to time to keep players fresh and up to speed but then with less games next season that may be less of an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I always find Farke’s interviews very interesting, and normally quite funny. Each to their own, but his sense of humour makes me laugh and I think he’s a great bloke 👍

Happy to eat my words but I think Wilder and Sheff Utd will fill a relegation spot next season, I think they’ll prove to be a classic ‘good in the championship, crap in the premier league’ team. And equally, I can see this City side as next season’s surprise package, our style should lend itself to the Premier League very well, and as long as we can tighten up slightly at the back, I can see the creativity, pace, and industry of our forward players causing anyone a problem. The ability is there, of that there is no doubt for me.

I think it will be very interesting to see how the two sides fare in the premier league. no doubt in my mind that we are streets ahead of them in terms of attacking ability and flair and I think they will struggle to create chances in the premier league with their slightly  more "workmanlike" approach but then by the same token I think they are a lot better than us defensively and there is no doubt in my mind that if we continue to defend and concede soft goals next season as we have done this season then we will struggle. I'd like to think that some of those defensive issues can be addressed on the training ground (e.g. better marking, better closing down players at the edge of the box and dare I say it a better keeper) so we can sort them out a bit over the summer but its pretty clear to me where both sides will need to improve if they are to survive in the prem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents, we have both defied expectations this season, and both Managers have done amazing jobs. It will be interesting to say the least to see how both clubs prosper next season, and neither will start the season with the same squad it has now, I'm quite sure. 

I can just about see why some of you don't like Wilder, but I have to say, we worship the ground he walks on. I should also point out that he is not built for failure, he has never failed anywhere, and I don't expect him to start now. 

Meantime, let's just enjoy the ride, no need for these negative emotions right now, let's leave that to Leeds and others eh? 

Good luck. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

What a ****.

And your constructive comment is...……………………………………??????????????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

1. From Day One I have been bored to tears by the verbal diarrhoea that constitutes an 'interview' with Daniel Farke on Rodeo Norfolk. Maybe that's just 'how they are' in Germany but I'm damn sure most native Brits prefer some straight talking and a 'straight answer to a straight question' style with some humour and sarcasm thrown in for good measure. That straight talking style is what you get with Wilder. You may not always agree with the guy but at least he answers the question!

On the continent Brits are renowned for hiding what they mean behind flowery language to be polite, while continental Europeans come across as blunt. I don't think 'straight talking' is a particularly British thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Wilder has done a fantastic job there (and in his previous jobs as well) and there is no doubt he's a decent manager but I find him to be a charmless, bitter individual who I really don't like. His interviews after they got promoted this weekend have been typically angry and charmless. I'd take Farke every time.

The only area I would agree with the OP is on the subs/squad rotation where personally I would prefer Farke to use the squad a bit more from time to time to keep players fresh and up to speed but then with less games next season that may be less of an issue. 

We agree on several things then Jim. Good reply, thank you. In my original post I said (more than once) that I had considerable distaste for Wilder the PERSON but (predictably) most respondents failed to appreciate my comments in that regard. I didn't hear his recent stuff and if he came across as you say then that's unnecessary. He has made a number of very complimentary remarks about Norwich this season though and I think we should all acknowledge that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's a gruff northerner thing.  It's also called lacking tact and sometimes GCSEs.

It's highly overrated IMO.

Edited by Orly
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilders done a great job, as has Farke. If you were to ask me which one of those would I like to be in charge of us next season? Wilder doesn't come very close. Farke all day long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a manager so far Wilder hasn't failed.  Will he, like Colin one of his predecessor's who had a similar track record until the Premier, find the Premier league one promotion too far?  And Farke continues to learn?  Already this will be one of the things to watch next season.

I think one of the things Farke could have a closer look at is Wilder's use of 3 CB's with the two wide ones taking turns to overlap and overwhelm the opposition (after all the Blunts did make more crosses than any other Champs team this season).  I think Godfrey could do this quite well on the right, Klose on the left, with Zimbo holding.  We already have the best full backs in the Champ this year - most Premier League teams are looking to have similar to emulate Liverpool for instance.  Certainly if nothing else this will be a good Plan B.

Although he comes across as a gruff Northerner, Wilder is quite fun to be with down the pub! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ONE DEFEAT IN 13 yelled Wilder at a recent interview. Well that's nothing 0 defeats in 13 is better and 1 DEFEAT in 20 is even better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Sheffield United's biggest problem is going to be the recruitment, given the lack of value in the British markets. When you consider we brought in Pukki from the Danish league for free, and Buendia from the Spanish second tier for £1.5m, yet Jack Marriot from League One cost £3-4 million.

I struggle to see Wilder signing foreign players, and our recruitment has proven to be very shrewd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why a lot of people don't like Wilder, and after last year's outburst I didn't hold a particularly strong torch for him.

However as this season has gone on, Sheff Utd have kept a steady course, held true and the reason they're with us is because they deserve to be.

I'd rather have Wilder and co in the Prem than Bielsa and Leeds. Wilder seems like he genuinely loves their club and the fans reciprocate and you can't argue the man's passion. He also looked like a P.E. teacher at the EFL awards wearing a smile that looked like it was causing him some immense amount of pain...

He comes across as a bit unlikeable but to be quite honest I've started to warm to his dogged pragmatism, and anyone who calls Leeds a 'bunch of muppets' is alright by me! 🙂

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-latest/leeds-united-labelled-as-muppets-by-sheffield-united-chief-as-norwich-star-reveals-interesting-inspiration-behind-blackburn-win-championship-winners-and-losers-1-9737082

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

Thank you for sharing your opinion yellowrider. Please allow me a riposte.

In your first point you lament the loquacious nature of Farke's interviews. Yet you shroud the point of this criticism with the irony of your own verbosity.

I take no umbrage with your second point. I do believe Wilder has  a distinctive style and that it is far from prehistoric.

Your final point returns me to my previous vexed state induced by your first. Your previous point implies that with Wilder's approach there is indeed more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Yet you now criticise Farke's own game management and consider it in some way inferior to that of Wilder's sImply because less change is involved. Please do  not confuse consistency with inflexibility. Too often managers "tinker" with a system that may have been best left alone.

A similar response to what I would have posted.

Totally agree. Nice one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I understand why a lot of people don't like Wilder, and after last year's outburst I didn't hold a particularly strong torch for him.

However as this season has gone on, Sheff Utd have kept a steady course, held true and the reason they're with us is because they deserve to be.

I'd rather have Wilder and co in the Prem than Bielsa and Leeds. Wilder seems like he genuinely loves their club and the fans reciprocate and you can't argue the man's passion. He also looked like a P.E. teacher at the EFL awards wearing a smile that looked like it was causing him some immense amount of pain...

He comes across as a bit unlikeable but to be quite honest I've started to warm to his dogged pragmatism, and anyone who calls Leeds a 'bunch of muppets' is alright by me! 🙂

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-latest/leeds-united-labelled-as-muppets-by-sheffield-united-chief-as-norwich-star-reveals-interesting-inspiration-behind-blackburn-win-championship-winners-and-losers-1-9737082

 

Well said!! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, did anyone see Wilder on SSN the other day after the Leeds v Villa result? Obviously, that meant Sheff Utd. were promoted.

Hilariously, they cut to Wilder and Billy Sharp for an interview. Wilder was absolutely full of the joys of booze, red as Tommy Cooper's fez, with his arm round Sharp, bouncing around like a loon. He was singing whatever their version of our Tommy Trybull song is and just loving it. I couldn't help but smile.

Also, to add to that, he praised Bielsa for allowing Villa to equalise, said "No respect to Bamford though" and then congratulated "Daniel and Norwich City".

As much as I think he's a numpty, I appreciated his words and I feel that his massively competitive spirit is really the main reason he often goes off on one and spouts some nonsesne. Proper passion from him though and good on him.

Well done Sheff Utd and Wilder. A very good achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheff Utd next season's Cardiff. Tough uncompromising play mixed with  good dash of pace and skill and an earthy manager. Exactly what you'd expect to represent Yorkshire grit. We either sort our defense out or we'll come straight back down. However I think Farke will, so looking forward to seeing how we both do next year. Hopefully we'll have a "big" or "celebrity" team come up with us for the press to fawn over.... and document their implosion as it all goes wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilder came across as a complete t*sser when we beat them last season, his first real set back after their promotion from league 1. He has probably learned from it, but at the time it was comedy gold - and still is.  Will they do well in the PL?  depends on how they spend the money.  I have no doubt we will spend wisely, but Sheff Utd may find it harder to recruit the right type of players.  i suspect they will be comepetitive and up for it, but will ultimately drop down again, having spent too much and not got enough to stay off the bottom. 

We may struggle too, but we already have players who you just know will do well in the PL - going right through the team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Norwich born fan who has lived in Yorkshire for over 40 years, Wilder represents as near to a stereotype of the area I can think of. I love him, his tetchiness, his humour and more so, the way he has assembled an exceptional team. They have challenged all my expectations of falling away. They've done the opposite. Even after our amazing season (which arguably won't ever be repeated) they are 3 points behind us. So, I have enormous respect.

He stands behind his team and believes in his players. I bet they would run through the kind of wall for him Lambert used to go on about. He will be a breath of fresh air in the Prem. He likes Farke and reading DF's words after our home match, the respect is mutual.

As for DF, he speaks more common sense than many of our predecessors in the role. He is eloquent, he can be funny and is always diplomatic. Without question (even the  season we have had excepted), he is one of my favourites. He senses what is important about connecting the players and fans like few others. Hell, he even shops for milk in Morrisons. What is not to like!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×