Sign in to follow this  
Canary Renaissance

Bolton Players may refuse to play their next game (BBC Report)

I am not sure of the potential impact of this. 

Worst case scenario is that it all ends with the EFL deciding to void all Bolton fixtures this season.

Whilst the consequential points reduction for Norwich, Sheff Utd and Leeds will be a loss of 6 points for all three clubs, the goal difference change may be important. I think Norwich and Sheff Utd will lose the +5 goal difference as a result of the 3 -2 and 0-4 results (for Norwich) and the 2-0 and 0-3 results for Sheff Utd; the Leeds games against them only resulted in a +2 goal difference bonus for Leeds (2 - 1 and 0 - 1). By my calculation that would mean that Norwich only have a +7 goal difference advantage of Leeds, not the +10 we currently enjoy.

I'm sure it won't matter in the end after we beat Blackburn tomorrow (2 - 0)?!?!

The game will go ahead by hook or by crook- I can't imagine a scenario in which there is no resolution. Has a game at this level ever not been played because of players striking?

Hypothetically though, bearing in mind their last two games are against Brentford and Forest who have nothing to play for, I imagine the common sense thing to do would be to award 3-0 wins to their opponents as that would cause far less disruption to the overall table than voiding 44 matches.

I also agree with WWIAFTM, and would like to congratulate him on having the best name/avatar combo on the forum.

Leeds would lose the 6 points as indicated above, so they would have 76 points. WBA would lose just 3 points (given that they won only one of their games against Bolton); WBA would only be 2 points below Leeds (on 74 points) and their goal difference would remain unchanged on 26.

This could have implications if we lost both our games and Leeds won both.

Leeds beat Bolton 2-1 and 0-1, we beat Bolton 3-2 and 0-4, so if results are void then Leeds would be +3 goals on us

That would then require an 8 goal swing e.g. -4 GD to us and +4GD to Leeds, not completely impossible.

Hmmn....More detail now being given on the BBC website. It includes a statement from the Bolton players and the fact that they threaten to refuse to play both of their remaining games.

Here is a snip from the statement:

"With deep regret, we have decided not to fulfil our remaining fixtures unless we are paid. We understand that this will disappoint our fans and for this we sincerely apologise.

"We realise this may be seen as drastic action but we feel we have no other options left. This decision has not been taken lightly and is not a reaction to this one particular incident.

This really has plumbed new depths... I'm sure that there's a (FIFA?) Rule about if players wages are more than 14 days late they can sign for a new club with no transfer fee, not that I think we'd want any of them....

This would cause such chaos not just at the very top of the table but as far as the play-offs and relegation are concerned, so close to the end of the season, that I cannot see Bolton's season being scrubbed. Awarding 3-0 wins is the sensible solution. And would probably avoid the law suits that would almost certainly otherwise follow.

I’m 100% behind the player’s choosing not to play. With that said, the club should prepare to plays the youth squad players.

2 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

I’m 100% behind the player’s choosing not to play. With that said, the club should prepare to plays the youth squad players.

Probably have more chance of winning if they did that.

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

1p5wich are praying that there's 2 other Clubs in the same predicament.... 😎

Yes, extra incentive for them to win their final two games ! 

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

This would cause such chaos not just at the very top of the table but as far as the play-offs and relegation are concerned, so close to the end of the season, that I cannot see Bolton's season being scrubbed. Awarding 3-0 wins is the sensible solution. And would probably avoid the law suits that would almost certainly otherwise follow.

As it happens Bolton's last two games are against Brentford and Forest, neither of which can go down or make the play-offs, and Bolton are already down, so 3-0 results would not affect anything much.

Cant think there'll be a points punishment this season...but for the players who will be there next season, they would have had to think very carefully about the potential impact next term

...starting on minus 6 pts would scupper any thoughts of automatic promotion before a ball is kicked

And in the interests of wanting ipswich to stew in the lower leagues for many years to come, any potential promotion rival being hit with a points reduction isnt good

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Cant think there'll be a points punishment this season...but for the players who will be there next season, they would have had to think very carefully about the potential impact next term

...starting on minus 6 pts would scupper any thoughts of automatic promotion before a ball is kicked

And in the interests of wanting ipswich to stew in the lower leagues for many years to come, any potential promotion rival being hit with a points reduction isnt good

We finished ten points clear of third place when we won league 1. 

To be fair to the players, if they aren’t getting paid, why should they care if they start on minus 6 points next season? And they appear to have left it until there is nothing to play for (either for them or their next opponents) before making such a a threat.

From what seems to be at this current moment in the ongoing muddled affair, Former Watford owner Bassini has bought Ken Andersons 94% share of the club and is ready and willing to pay the players wages for March, but Anderson holds certain paperwork needed for Bassini to be able to legally pay the wages. Its said that Anderson is doing this as he wants a Directorship at the club, so as it stands he is the guy being stroppy and causing this scenario to unfold.

Whatever the end game of all this will be, cant blame Remi and his pals for their actions, its a right royal mess up and shows how things can go horribly wrong and also how Delia and our Board got everything wonderfully right less than 2 years ago with our clubs situation.

It's a complete shame to see a Football Club (other than L1pswich) in this kind of state, but come the final whistle this evening, it won't register in my mind much, we will be Premier League!

1 hour ago, Essjayess said:

From what seems to be at this current moment in the ongoing muddled affair, Former Watford owner Bassini has bought Ken Andersons 94% share of the club and is ready and willing to pay the players wages for March, but Anderson holds certain paperwork needed for Bassini to be able to legally pay the wages. Its said that Anderson is doing this as he wants a Directorship at the club, so as it stands he is the guy being stroppy and causing this scenario to unfold.

Whatever the end game of all this will be, cant blame Remi and his pals for their actions, its a right royal mess up and shows how things can go horribly wrong and also how Delia and our Board got everything wonderfully right less than 2 years ago with our clubs situation.

And with Bassini taking over, it's out of the frying pan and into the fire. Given his history, I'd be having kittens if I were a Bolton fan. If these are the people looking to buy football clubs, then Delia needs to hold on to our club for dear life.

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

We finished ten points clear of third place when we won league 1. 

To be fair to the players, if they aren’t getting paid, why should they care if they start on minus 6 points next season? And they appear to have left it until there is nothing to play for (either for them or their next opponents) before making such a a threat.

Somebody at the club with its best interests should intervene. This season is a disastrous write off for them but dont give the EFL an opportunity to allow it to spill over into the next by not fulfilling the fixture.

Theyre already down....play an U23 team if thats what it takes...JUST FULFILL THE FIXTURE !!

I remember that young lady Bolton supporter who did that blog when we played them, very nice and intelligent fan, got to feel sorry for them.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

Obviously the tense and fraught issues surrounding the sale of the club are the root cause of the current impasse.  Given that both the individuals involved in selling and buying the club are mavericks (to say the least), the whole thing is so unpredictable that it could well end up with the EFL having to sort things out through their disciplinary committee. That could drag on past the end of the season.

It is almost impossible to second guess what might happen in the short term about the two remaining fixtures. Those currently at the Bolton helm appear to have lost interest. I’m not convinced that the youth players at the club will want to play a part in resolving the issue.

There is nothing obvious in the terms and conditions for the EFL disciplinary procedures as to what might happen next, but I’m not a lawyer. I think it’s a case of watch this space.

In the meantime let’s get over the line by winning tonight. I’d take a draw, but my heart might not last out if we have to rely on a late late free kick!

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

I remember that young lady Bolton supporter who did that blog when we played them, very nice and intelligent fan, got to feel sorry for them.

Was that StuntPegg ?

She's brilliant. Such excellent enthusiasm and knowledge about more footballing matters that I know ! Hopefully, also appealing to younger fans and possibly more female ones than others.

Her Youtube channel's great although she doesn't speak so highly of "On the Ball City !"