Sign in to follow this  
mccanary

Countdown to kick off

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m changing a couple of taps in the morning

Given the Rachel Riley theme of the thread, is that a euphemism?

8 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Given the Rachel Riley theme of the thread, is that a euphemism?

No, I don’t really like Rachel Riley 

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm gonna go to the Viking exhibition at the castle tomorrow afternoon to get myself in prime pillaging mood for the evening.

I went last weekend - wouldn't recommend. 

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I went last weekend - wouldn't recommend. 

Why not?

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

No, I don’t really like Rachel Riley 

No, I'm the same. As Albert Steptoe said, "I like big birds, big walnut crushers!"

45 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Why not?

If you've not been recently then it's worth a look I guess, as there's various different exhibits, but I didn't think the Viking stuff was particularly impressive (I'm not a heathen, I generally like this kind of stuff). There's a couple of nice swords in there but nothing that wowed me. It's all similar to the Iceni stuff too, which doesn't help as it blurs into one a bit. They had some nice activities for kids etc going on around the viking theme, so if you've got little ones, I'm sure there'll be something happening for them.

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

Surprised Til hasn't put up a picture of the pair of them in a hot tub. 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, kick it off said:

If you've not been recently then it's worth a look I guess, as there's various different exhibits, but I didn't think the Viking stuff was particularly impressive (I'm not a heathen, I generally like this kind of stuff). There's a couple of nice swords in there but nothing that wowed me. It's all similar to the Iceni stuff too, which doesn't help as it blurs into one a bit. They had some nice activities for kids etc going on around the viking theme, so if you've got little ones, I'm sure there'll be something happening for them.

Thanks for that, KIO. I haven't been for a number of years, so I'm sure I'll be able to while away a good few hours. Don't have any kids, but I am a massive child, so I'm happy to do any colouring in or wearing of paper/plastic helmets that may be available. I've got a beard, so I might be able to convince some of the bairns that I'm a real-life Viking.

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks for that, KIO. I haven't been for a number of years, so I'm sure I'll be able to while away a good few hours. Don't have any kids, but I am a massive child, so I'm happy to do any colouring in or wearing of paper/plastic helmets that may be available. I've got a beard, so I might be able to convince some of the bairns that I'm a real-life Viking.

Same boat then - I hadn't been since I was a kid - Main hall is impressive, but about to be renovated properly so lots of the stuff that should be on display down there, isn't on display due to being refurbished. Don't let that disappoint you too much though, there's loads to have a look at - reckon we probably spent 2.5-3 hours there. Egyptian gallery is a bit naff, but the rest is decent. Loads of military stuff too. Certainly enough to keep you entertained for a bit. We're not particularly into art so we skipped the galleries, but if that's your bag then you may find yourself wandering round for even longer.

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

Think the Royal Norfolk museum (or a small part of it) is in there too since the separate one was closed.

Just finished packing for a busy weekend.

Start the day tomorrow with football training with my son, then we have the 3-hour drive from South Bucks to my parents in Oulton Broad.  Have some lunch, spend a few hours with the family before getting the train over to the fine City.

Could’ve done without Storm Hannah rolling in today. Might dampen the pre-match atmosphere a little, and have a negative impact generally on the pitch. 

10 hours ago, kick it off said:

If you do go , look out for the Henry Kable cell in the castle. He was a teenager sent out on the first ships to the penal colonies. Imprisoned at Norwich as a young boy when taken out on a burglary by his father in south Norfolk. Became one of the forefathers of Australia and an important man out there.

A book called Enduring Spirit describes it in detail and is tragic and graphic in equal measures, to say the least. 

Cabs booked......restaurant booked......bag packed......time to go . 🤩

Have a great evening whether you're at the game ,watching or listening from near or far. 

OTBC 

Edited by mccanary