Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Dare we support Sheffield United?

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why does anyone think Ipswich have any chance of a draw, let alone win?

We have two game left. Winning them both is quite achievable and not losing both is odds on so why the worry? Leeds and Blades fans are the ones bricking it at the moment.

This. I’ve been searching for an appropriate analogy, but it’s a bit like saying should I support Tyson Fury in a boxing match against Michael Gove.

14 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

You mean like Wigan beating Leeds?

no actually not a valid comparison, Wigan are a decent side 😎

It's going to happen.  A very early red card for Sheff Utd...

Can't see Ipswich doing anything though. Whilst they play some nice passing football in midfield, they've got no cutting edge up front . Sears was their only decent striker of the ball, and Keane could head it in, both are injured. They haven't even got players to bundle the ball in from set pieces. Easy United win.

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Ipswich getting anything out of this game would be the result of the season.

Thats why i've gone halves with a mate  £5 on 1p5wich to win!!! we are officially stupid but if, by chance they do win ,£95 back!!!

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

May I just reinforce the notion that I didn't make this point because of our rivalry with Ipswich, I made it due to the fact we don't like Leeds. That's something that appears to have got lost as the thread has gone on. Regardless of whether Leeds deserve to go up or not (quite frankly they do, I'll admit) I still don't want it to happen. 

I concur with those who say that a draw between Sheffield United and Ipswich would be the best result. It means we are still heavy favourites to win the title and Leeds would then have to win both their matches to have any chance of automatic promotion.

Just wrong...a draw is not the best result, we want to win the league and if its leeds go up with us, so be it, a loss for Shef utd is the best result for US

Dont care what Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Leeds or Villa do, its down to us. Would not care or be surprised to see our 2 nearest rivals win both their remaining matches, dont want anybody doing City favours, we get promotion and maybe, the title, thru our  endeavours. Its a 46 game season, if City are one of the two that win promotion, 1st or 2nd,  then its because we were one of the two best sides.

If we dont get either,then we will have missed out by goal difference, hard to take  it will be for awhile, but we would take a shot in the play offs, if that fails to, then on to next season...still having the prudence shackles on us.  Hard to take, but football never stands still. But wanting another team to win to somehow help us?..nah.

Ipswich could play for 2 days against a Sheffield utd five a side team and not win. Blunts will smash them comfortably tomorrow.

Edited by Darth Canary1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

This. I’ve been searching for an appropriate analogy, but it’s a bit like saying should I support Tyson Fury in a boxing match against Michael Gove.

I'd pay good money to watch that. Especially if we get in a Championship referee who is oblivious to continuous wanton acts of violence against diminutive participants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I expect Sheff Utd fans were saying exactly the same when Leeds took on Wigan on Good Friday.

The difference being one is a strong-willed Yorkshire team high on belief at the moment.

The others are odious entitled bottlers with Princess Diana as their main strike threat.

• Haha 1

But would Gove be fighting out of the Blue or Red corner?

Billy Sharp should be available. Whilst Ipswich aren't actually too bad in midfield they can't defend and have nothing upfront. Easy Sheff Utd win on the cards, but you never know. Relegated teams sometimes pull off surprise result when the pressure is off.

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

This is the image that springs to mind for me...

image.png.5c2feffc939b3d4ee9a6b2a8a1b5c130.png

• Like 1

1-1 draw. Ipswich to score early on, and United to equalize in the 94th minute. 

If Lambert turns it into a war like he tried to do at CR, and Blades get 3 sent off in the first 5 minutes, 1p5wich might make a game of it.  (might)

The breakdown of games today is interesting. With the rest of the pack haivng traditional 3pm kick-offs today, Leeds dont play, Sheffield Utd play at 17:15 and then us when we know their result, at 19:30.

Anything can happen in the Championship, but we have to expect Sheffield Utd to beat Ipswich. They already have a 1 goal better goal difference, meaning regardless of the actual scoreline, victory for them would take them top and see us entering the Blackburn game in second place on Goal Difference.

We've not lost this calendar year, so although we've had a dip in form, looking at things objectively, and statistically, it would be a surprise for us to lose either of our final 2 games, even though Villa are the form side - we may need to hope and pray Villa are on a bit of a wind-down ahead of the play-offs.

I cant see us realistically failing to achieve promotion, for us to lose both of our final games would be a surprise considering our record. BUT with regards to the title it is definitely squeaky bum time.

We are reasonable to expect a victory against Blackburn - we're at home, they are mid-table with nothing to play for. We should expect to beat them, but as we know, any result is possible in this league.

On the positive side it is still in our hands. A point against Blackburn takes us up and keeps our destiny in our own hands, meaning all we have to do on the final day of the season is match Sheffield Utd's result and we win the league.

We HAVE to have the belief that to be champions, we can beat any team in this league, so we have to believe we can beat Villa.

How welcome would a performance from Ipswich be today though? Football - funny old game...

Ipswich's record this calendar year. Bar ourselves and Preston, the scorelines are generally close. I dont know how in the games they have been, but perhaps there is hope they will give Sheffield Utd more of a game than we give them credit for

xxx.png

Ipswich have only failed to score in 8 of those 20 games. I know Sheffield Utd have it all to play for and are a far better team - but Ipswich are worth a goal at least in this game.

If they can score against the blades, anything is possible

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Ipswich have only failed to score in 8 of those 20 games. I know Sheffield Utd have it all to play for and are a far better team - but Ipswich are worth a goal at least in this game.

If they can score against the blades, anything is possible

'Only failed to score in 8 out of 20' is actually quite poor, so when they play away against a top team with a solid defence, you'd expect it to become 9 out of 21.

But, as you said, anything is possible... One team has no pressure and the other has loads, and increased/decreased pressure can have huge effects on individuals, for better or worse.