Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Dare we support Sheffield United?

This is something I've been wondering over the last few days.

Obviously nobody wants Leeds to go up, but are we safe enough in our own position now to risk getting behind Sheffield United in the afternoon kick off on Saturday? We're 99.9% there, but that nagging 0.1% is making me think that cheering on Sheffield Utd is a little bit complacent.

I don't think I know how I'll feel until their game kicks off and Saturday and my instinct kicks in.

No. We'd like a draw between them and Ipswich, however improbable a result that may appear to be. Let Villa take care of Leeds.

• Like 1

A draw would be ideal result for me.

Puts Leeds in position of having to win both their games and hope Sheff Utd don't win on the last day. Any points dropped and it's game over for them. Even a draw would be fatal with the goal difference swing needed from that final game.

Plus it means the scum will have quite possibly have handed us the title as we will need two points from two games to secure the title, which will really stick in their throats.

Edited by kick it off

As DF says, we can only think about ourselves, we don't have any control over what happens elsewhere. So I'm not worried about the Blades result, truth be told, 1p5wich aren't likely to have much of a say either. 

Win or draw against Blackburn and I'm happy. 

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is something I've been wondering over the last few days.

Obviously nobody wants Leeds to go up, but are we safe enough in our own position now to risk getting behind Sheffield United in the afternoon kick off on Saturday? We're 99.9% there, but that nagging 0.1% is making me think that cheering on Sheffield Utd is a little bit complacent.

I don't think I know how I'll feel until their game kicks off and Saturday and my instinct kicks in.

Who you support has no bearing whatsoever on the result.
Do what you like.

Dont think it'll really matter what we want......Ipswich are so pathetic, one of the worst ever sides in this division , theyre hardly going to put up any kind of resistence

...and I'm still worried about how many they could let in vs Leeds

No, definitely not.  Although I’d never ever want Ips***h to win, I definitely would like to see Shef Utd lose tomorrow.  We’re limping a bit at the moment and the more help we can get, the better.  

• Like 1

An Ipswich win is the best result, not sure how anyone can think differently, they wont win though as they are garbage

• Like 1

Why the f*** would anyone want Sheff Utd to pick up any more points? Are people really that sad that they would rather see a competitor for the title pick up points at this stage, because of a little local rivalry??   I hope Ipswich pull off the impossible, beat them, hopefully by two goals so as to reduce their goal difference. I know it isn't going to happen, but that doesn't stop me from hoping for it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why the f*** would anyone want Sheff Utd to pick up any more points? Are people really that sad that they would rather see a competitor for the title pick up points at this stage, because of a little local rivalry??   I hope Ipswich pull off the impossible, beat them, hopefully by two goals so as to reduce their goal difference. I know it isn't going to happen, but that doesn't stop me from hoping for it. 

Agreed 👍🏻

Weird that anyone can even contemplate wishing for Sheffield to win

Ipswich for me 100%

1 hour ago, city4eva said:

An Ipswich win is the best result, not sure how anyone can think differently, they wont win though as they are garbage

That's hardly going to happen though is it? 

Absolutely want Ipswich to get something. A draw for them means we could be champions on Saturday in front of our own fans. Wouldn't that be fantastic? 

Edited by Hairy Canary

It'll make a refreshing change to be willing the Binners on tomorrow. They and PL will have my full(ish) support as they help us to the PL that we are interested in nowadays.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Absolutely this!

Plus, even though it'd be only their fifth win of the season, the Town fans would be bloody furious at their own players effectively gifting us the title. An Ipswich win would be brilliant on so many levels.

Why would we want to support Sheffield United in any possible scenario? They fail to beat Ipswich and we are promoted.

we should be supporting Ipswich, just this once!

Just to query the original post, I have no love for Leeds, the team it's fans etc. But I can't help feeling that the 3 teams who battled it out all season are the 3 that deserve to go up, so providing Leeds are in the play offs I hope they go up. Much prefer that to Aston Villa, John Terry Jack Grealish et al

I can honestly see Ipswich getting a hard fought (don't laugh) 0-0, it's that time of the season where surprise results can & do happen.

They did manage to hold them earlier in the season, so I'm hoping they can do the same again.

Beating Blackburn & winning the title at home would be the icing on the cake of an incredible season.

If you think its a bit pant-wetting fraught on here over whether we're promoted already or not, there are many of my Blunt supporting friends who are convinced the Binners will beat them tomorrow!  Can't see it myself, but just goes to show fans everywhere are showing those end of seasons nerves.  

As already said, many Blades fans are fearing the worst tomorrow, we do have history after all. 

But then Chris Wilder is going for his 3rd title in 4 years, so my money is on him to do the business tomorrow. 

Then it's all down to you guys to keep us at bay. I fear Villa will be resting their big guns against you, so you should do it (and deserve it tbf). 

Scum are already down, so it would be a delicious irony if they can get a point or better against Blades to help us out for the title. No question I would prefer them to do the business tomorrow regardless of our rivalry.

11 minutes ago, Blademark said:

As already said, many Blades fans are fearing the worst tomorrow, we do have history after all. 

But then Chris Wilder is going for his 3rd title in 4 years, so my money is on him to do the business tomorrow. 

Then it's all down to you guys to keep us at bay. I fear Villa will be resting their big guns against you, so you should do it (and deserve it tbf). 

Never say never in this division, but you've been really consistent over the last 10 games, and given the experience in your team I think you will get at least 4 points from the last 2 games. I think we're capable of getting 6 points from the last 2 (especially given Villa's situation as you mentioned), but I wouldn't say we deserve the title any more than you guys do.

May I just reinforce the notion that I didn't make this point because of our rivalry with Ipswich, I made it due to the fact we don't like Leeds. That's something that appears to have got lost as the thread has gone on. Regardless of whether Leeds deserve to go up or not (quite frankly they do, I'll admit) I still don't want it to happen. 

I concur with those who say that a draw between Sheffield United and Ipswich would be the best result. It means we are still heavy favourites to win the title and Leeds would then have to win both their matches to have any chance of automatic promotion.

Why does anyone think Ipswich have any chance of a draw, let alone win?

We have two game left. Winning them both is quite achievable and not losing both is odds on so why the worry? Leeds and Blades fans are the ones bricking it at the moment.