Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Out of Contract Players

Recommended Posts

We must be saving a bucket load on wages with the following out of contract at the end of season:

Naismith £30k pw approx.

Jarvis £22.5k p/w “

Klose £30k pw “

Rhodes £20k pw Loan 

Passlack £5k pw (a guess)

Pinto £20k pw approx.

Franke £15k pw (guess)

Husband £10k pw (guess)

I don’t understand keeping McGovern on and hopefully Oliveira will be gone as well.

That’s nearly £8m pa off our wage bill at Championship levels and gives us a bit more wiggle room when we’re trying to manage a small PL budget next season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Wildschut is out of contract too. Can't imagine Marshall, Raggett or any squad players the club might attempt to move on will give them much trouble.

Certainly in a decent position come July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He couldn't cut it in the Premier League?  I don't think he's ever really been given a chance up there. He played a bit in a side that wasn't creating chances and would shut up shop if they ever did go a goal up.

At 29 I can't see Norwich willing to spend huge amounts on him. Probably depends on how much Wednesday need to get rid of his wages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I'll admit that his chances were limited, but Rhodes hasn't done enough in the last three years to justify us buying him permanently. Maybe back in the days when he was plundering 20+ a season in the Championship every year he would've been worth a shot, but he's 29 now and hasn't hit double figures in the Championship since 2015-16.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely as a third striker Rhodes would be an economic gamble.

 They may feel that a second striker is needed, and as back up, to him and Pukki, Rhodes - as a known player, who has shown enthusiasm and patience, would make sense to me as the third choice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Surely as a third striker Rhodes would be an economic gamble.

 They may feel that a second striker is needed, and as back up, to him and Pukki, Rhodes - as a known player, who has shown enthusiasm and patience, would make sense to me as the third choice.

But how much would he cost? Between fee and wages, you're looking at least £2-3m, and I don't think it'd be worth it. We need a couple of wide players, so if one of them can play centrally, they can be third option along with maybe Idah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's slightly harsh stating he's not hit double figures. He'd have easily surpassed that this season if he was given regular minutes. He's scored every 168 minutes he's played this season and given the fact that a huge chunk of his minutes have been from the bench in the dying moments when he's been tasked with holding the ball up or running to the corner. If you give him some leeway and allow those appearances to be chalked off his minutes record, he's been at his most prolific for years based on that stat alone.

He's only been prevented from a 20+ goal season this year through the outstanding performance of Pukki. I'd be more than happy signing him permanently if the figures could be agreed. I suspect Farke's approach to substitutions will change in the Premier League with players getting 20-30 minutes of the bench more frequently; I think Rhodes could do a decent job in that sort of role, even in the Premier League.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see us keep him so long as the deal isn't too onerous in terms of fee or wages. He offers something coming off the bench and has been invaluable when we are chasing games. Also, he seems to be a really big character in the squad and I think we need to preserve that as much as possible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhodes had 6 months in the Premier League and Boro didn't trust him to play.

He's been a squad player in the Championship for the past three seasons. 

Being a good character isn't enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC text said that Norwich would have a budget of £20M spending in the Prem. I guess that doesn't include wages or else you wouldn't be improving the squad much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strikers is probably where Norwich need the biggest overhaul. 

Pukki should be fine in the Prem, although likely become very isolated in some games as Norwich are pinned back a bit more. 

Srbeny and Rhodes aren’t good enough for the Prem and both should be thanked and wished all the best for the future. Try to sell Srbeny rather than loan him out. 

Idah should be found a loan somewhere, getting a handful of minutes in cup games isn’t going to do him any favours right now. 

Norwich need two strikers, one who can hold the ball up and allow Norwich to go more direct and one who is rapid and can play out in the wings or through the middle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

BBC text said that Norwich would have a budget of £20M spending in the Prem. I guess that doesn't include wages or else you wouldn't be improving the squad much.

That is just recycled from the Daily Mail story which doesn’t make sense. Looks like a red herring to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit to being completely biased where Rhodes is concerned because he did the Christmas Lights switch on at Thorpe and was nice to my daughter.

But I still think he can do a decent job off the bench and I do think people are underselling the importance of dressing room influence. The common consensus was that we were wrong to let Mackay and Roberts go in 2004 and, being brutally honest, neither of those were going to get serious minutes in the Premier League but their impact around the dressing room and on morale might have been enough to get us the two points that would have kept us up.

Don't get me wrong, if Sheff Weds are going to want £5 million plus, or a couple of Championship clubs engage in a bidding war to bump up his price, I think we're wise to get out of it, but if we can get him at a decent price I'd definitely keep him here. And I wouldn't rule out him having a DJ Campbell-esque season, where for 9 months he performs way above his ability and plunders goals at the top level.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see Rhodes being allowed a free transfer to get him off Sheff W’s wage bill. In that instance I’d take him as a decent squad option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel Rhodes would be useful if we were to come back down again, although his wages would have to be seriously looked at if you were going to keep him on the books (3rd choice?) for that long. That of course, may not feature in DF/SW's thinking as they will look to maintain Premier League survival, and their recruitment may reflect otherwise this Summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Rhodes was younger I might agree there is a case for keeping him on in a back up role. But at 29 he is probably a bit too old to keep on. Norwich have the chance to not commit to his large wages and pay a fee to Sheff W for him and should take that chance and look at other options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 is the peak of a striker's career. Obviously it depends a lot on the transfer fee + wages, but I would be interested to know what alternative strikers people think we could pick up for better value given what we know about how well Rhodes fits into our squad.

Edited by Petriix
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Petriix said:

29 is the peak of a striker's career. Obviously it depends a lot on the transfer fee + wages, but I would be interested to know what alternative strikers people think we could pick up for better value given what we know about how well Rhodes fit in to our squad.

Trouble is, we don't know what that value is going to be. Will Wednesday want a big fee? Would Rhodes take a pay cut and sit on the bench for a season? Sadly I feel that we won't persue him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

and one who is rapid and can play out in the wings or through the middle. 

That's Idah, been playing that way since he was 11, that i recall . often played on the right of a front three for Corinthians, Cork Schoolboys and Ireland Youth teams.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Trouble is, we don't know what that value is going to be. Will Wednesday want a big fee? Would Rhodes take a pay cut and sit on the bench for a season? Sadly I feel that we won't persue him. 

Absolutely. I trust the recruitment team to continue their excellent work. If the numbers add up then great; otherwise we will look for another Pukki aleswhere (or, more than likely, we have already identified a number of suitable alternatives).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Rhodes was younger I might agree there is a case for keeping him on in a back up role. But at 29 he is probably a bit too old to keep on. Norwich have the chance to not commit to his large wages and pay a fee to Sheff W for him and should take that chance and look at other options. 

Plenty of older strikers in the top division, either in the first team or in the squads - Vardi, Oklazaki, Long, Murray, Walters, Crouch, Giroud, Babel, Carrol, Sanchez, Javier Hernandez, etc, all into their 30's.   Imo as a club, given our financial policy, to have him in the squad would be beneficial, even as a back up 3rd or 4th choice. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McGovern is a textbook third choice keeper with his experience and dressing room presence and I’m sure that’s what he’ll be next season. Makes perfect sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Plenty of older strikers in the top division, either in the first team or in the squads - Vardi, Oklazaki, Long, Murray, Walters, Crouch, Giroud, Babel, Carrol, Sanchez, Javier Hernandez, etc, all into their 30's.   Imo as a club, given our financial policy, to have him in the squad would be beneficial, even as a back up 3rd or 4th choice. 

 

 

Nothing against old strikers but I wouldn’t want to pay a fee, large wages and give a contract to a player entering his post-peak years.

Especially when he hasn’t set the world on fire recently.

I’m sure Jordan is a top bloke, but if Pukki gets injured he isn’t the player I’d want to see starting up front in the Premier League. He also isn’t a player coming off the bench that I feel is going to swing the game in Norwich’s favour. 

If he was already under contract I wouldn’t say the club should be desperate to off load him - but there is no need to commit to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If he was already under contract I wouldn’t say the club should be desperate to off load him - but there is no need to commit to him. 

Agree, this should be handled in a 'wait and see' fashion........we may end up keeping JR , maybe not. Weds will be more keen than ever to get him off the books, just as we are with NO, at the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Plenty of older strikers in the top division, either in the first team or in the squads - Vardi, Oklazaki, Long, Murray, Walters, Crouch, Giroud, Babel, Carrol, Sanchez, Javier Hernandez, etc, all into their 30's.   Imo as a club, given our financial policy, to have him in the squad would be beneficial, even as a back up 3rd or 4th choice. 

 

 

Almost all of those had significant top level experience in their 20's. Those that didn't (Murray, Vardy) came up leading the line for their respective teams.

It isn't just an age thing- it is an age, wages, fees and recent productivity thing. 

I suppose the other way I'd view it- if we went out and bought Gary Madine (a similar profile of player) would we be excited? I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nothing against old strikers but I wouldn’t want to pay a fee, large wages and give a contract to a player entering his post-peak years.

Especially when he hasn’t set the world on fire recently.

I’m sure Jordan is a top bloke, but if Pukki gets injured he isn’t the player I’d want to see starting up front in the Premier League. He also isn’t a player coming off the bench that I feel is going to swing the game in Norwich’s favour. 

If he was already under contract I wouldn’t say the club should be desperate to off load him - but there is no need to commit to him. 

Add to that, he would have no resale value to us in 2 year's time.  We have to learn from what happened with Naismith.  Webber has alluded to that many times this year.  In some ways, that was why I was slightly confused by McGovern's new contract, but as has been said, his is likely to be a 3rd choice role on lower wages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×