Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

A (right old) 1 Canary

Excuse me A1 for being a bit thick here mate, but did you not suggest that Snake pit rebel, Diane, Bury Belvoir, Gazza the great, myself and others were not living in the real world, with our desire to see Hucks a City player permantly.

Ahmm.......

PS. and we NEVER did claim it was all down to us, and you damn well know it friend!. So be a bit generous, and admit it, that on this one occassion at least, we called it right and you did''nt.

actually first wiz i did say it was down to the fans, and it was;DH said it, Delia said it, she did it for us, cos, as she says, we are the best fans in the world, and god will we prove this to the world

the reception Hucks got on Boxing Day was like nothing I had ever experienced, god, you might have thought we had already won the league!!!

So, our little band were dreamers, but hey, we are football fans and it is part of the remit eh?

And what a dream, that became reality, as we all knew it would

Hi you three,will catch up with you all tomorrow evening.Only just got back from Derby and too knackered to argue with A1Canary and Yankee Canary who have both obviously decided that we are a merry little band with too much to say for ourselves!

Hang on 1sty old pal. I seem to remember you saying that it would be great if we signed him but you thought that we wouldnt because the board were not ambitious enough!

I think everyone wanted him to be signed, anyone that didnt isnt yella and green. I think some people were not going to get their hopes up too much and celebrate before he had come.

Quite sensable when you consider all the reletively cheap signings we missed out on in the summer isnt it. I dont think bragging is going to get anyone anywhere so I suggest you give it up now and concentrate on having a go at the opposition supporters, namely Everton.

And I tell you what, our lads are going to need a lift against them because it could be lambs to the slaughter. Its going to be a test to see if we will float or sink next season if we make it there.

True chicken I did, well spotted, and to their credit they proved us doubters wrong..

But I have to disagree with you re. Everton, this is the FA cup remember, its a one off, I recall us beating Man U in the cup, Hmm.

No win or lose, this game will not be a barometer for next season, who knows who we will sign WHEN we are promoted, will Rooney stay at Goodison etc etc?. See where I''m going with this chicken?.

Wahey - have been away over the hols and didn''t realise i''d caused such a brew ha! I''m not going to argue because we''ve all got what we all wanted and it''s a nine point christmas and life right now couldn''t be much better for all of us. But i will say in response to you Wizard, no, that is exactly NOT what i said. I did not say you were not living in the real world for your "desire to see Hucks a City player". That''s what we all desired. I thought you were not in the real world for calling on the board to sign him when they didn''t have any money to do so. As it was, Delia and the share issue provided the required funds. Many people questioned the boards ambitions and intentions during the whole saga and the board has resoundingly kicked their criticisms into touch.
I and many others always felt the board would do and was doing all that was possible. So for those making said criticisms to then come on and try to make it sound like they and they alone, with their groundless criticisms, were a key reason for Huckerby signing was sanctimonious in the extreme and a bit hard to swallow. Hence the ''are you dillusional'' question. We all wanted it and no small group of fans on this board are especially responsible for him sigining.
Yankeecanary read my comments exactly right so thanks for that YC, and i apologise if others didn''t! If the point is that the fans as a whole, everyone, number 13 in the squad, played a major part in him signing then i agree with and support that assertion entirely.
As for "right old" i''m not quite sure how to take that! I''m younger than most on here!

a1Canary,
Many people on here, +fans not on here,journalists & commentators etc etc did question the board''s ambition as you say but I don''t agree that they kicked their criticisms into touch.I believe they realised the depth of the feeling in Norwich that we should speculate to accumulate, coupled with Worthy''s great statement on the subject then decided to change their strategy and go for it!They needed a push in the right direction and I believe that the fans contributed to the change in heart.I think if you ask Delia she would agree.

I want to believe that is the case, I really do. I find it difficult to do so, but then I am quite cynical when it comes to Marketing ploys.

I feel the same re the "Huckerby only signed cos of the fans" scenario, as I would imagine if Norwich hadn''t smashed their wage structure, Man City hadn''t helped the pay-off and we hadn''t promised him a FAT cheque should we get promoted then the deal would not have happened, great fans or no fans. It''s easy to say "he took a pay cut", but he still earns an estimated three quarters of a million quid per year at Norwich, with the closure of his contract at Citeh adding to that too. Put it this way, I don''t feel quite the same as some who would imagine him penniless, nosed pressed up against a restaurant window, flat cap and torn clothes, just so he could play at Norwich and be with his fans!

Still, he did his bit and I for one am grateful. See, I told you I was cynical!

Diane, I''m sorry, but I still think you are missing the point. The Norwich Board is ambitious, they were before the input of the past few months, before the loan signings ( which cost a healthy chunk ) and before the most recent three permanent signings. Negotiating hands are played very carefully if you don''t want to tip your hand. You have been very supportive of Nigel Worthington and his position with the Board ( by the way, we all feel Nigel is doing a very good job I''m sure ) but Nigel''s public positioning with the media/fans for the number of months before it was time to strike was very different. Look back at the articles if you can''t remember. His statements were filled with rhetoric like " we would love to make some signings but we just don''t have that kind of budget". He was saying these things before he came back with the wonderful surprise news of the loan signings. At that time we were all happily amazed that we could even afford to do that. One does not walk around with hands filled with Sterling saying "we want to make some deals". Okay, and we will lose out on occasions but have no doubt, Nigel and the Board are hand in glove on the strategy and have been from the start.

Snake pit rebel was on Radio Norfolk Phone in just a couple of months ago slagging off the quality within the team. We were of course mid table, but this is how he backs the team.
He changes his mind like the wind!

just thought you should know

RONBOL

p.s don''t try to tell us otherwise , i have it on good authority it was you!