Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Norwich transfer budget next season

Farke/ Webber in them we trust made some astute signings already.As the dailymail says we don’t want to waste all premiership money

To be fair that fits with the rumblings that we’ve been hearing from the club in terms of what Webber has been saying abt fees and the snippets that have been picked up about wage rises. 

Be interesting to see how many players we need that to cover to be fair. We already have Heise in the building who was meant to be part of the summer recruitment so I can’t see us signing too many. 3 or 4 maybe.

There is being too lavish and risking your future (the Fulham way) and there is being too frugal and risking your place (the Norwich way - when we failed to strengthen on last two attempts) 

£20m is too low in the modern game. Our defence, for starters, will get turned inside out without improvement 

Good. I’d be absolutely gutted for these players if they weren’t given a shot at the PL. Take the money and go with the talent and team spirit that we have. We only need to add a small amount into the squad, we would have done that had we stayed down

• Like 3

20 million does seem a bit low. Though that figure has probably been plucked from some editor's arsehole.

Don't think we will get the quality in for the bargain basement prices we did this season. As soon as Premier League is attached to your name, it's like saying "it's for a wedding", prices go up about 1000%.

17 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

There is being too lavish and risking your future (the Fulham way) and there is being too frugal and risking your place (the Norwich way - when we failed to strengthen on last two attempts) 

£20m is too low in the modern game. Our defence, for starters, will get turned inside out without improvement 

Totally disagree. This team is playing at a high level. Very similar to Lambert’s team in terms of momentum. We spent 13mill on 5 players when we went up under him and finished 12th. We’re ahead of schedule on the long term plan. 

I don’t want hordes of new players in disrupting the spirit and flow we have in this team. 

Webber’s recruitment is meticulous, he finds value and quality. As the DM article points out, he paid a combined 1.5mill for pukki and emi, I’m sure most of us would have said never in a million years could 1.5mill buy 37 goals and 20 assists.

Secure the club with promotion and sensible spending, and then we might have some cash to put another tier on the stand etc if we stay up.

Spending money is not the right path for this squad, precise well planned signings that fit our mould are. Webber has the Midas touch in that regard, trust him, he’s earned it.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 5

I assume we'll be using the free transfer and loan market a fair bit based on this.

I understand the thought process, don't overspend and risk issues if we go back down (ala Burnley in their first season up). 

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Totally disagree. This team is playing at a high level. Very similar to Lambert’s team in terms of momentum. We spent 13mill on 5 players when we went up under him and finished 12th. We’re ahead of schedule on the long term plan

I'd argue those 5 players would cost more than £20m nowadays. For instance you're not getting a striker who scored 17 goals in the championship like Morison for £3m.

We've got to shift some too....some might bring in a transfer fee but all will reduce wages

Oliveira,Wildschut,Pinto,Franke,Husband,Jarvis,Naismith,Marshall...question mark over Klose. If Rhodes returned to Sheff Weds , it would free up a wage.

I would expect us to be very much operating in the lower Bundesliga, higher Bundesliga 2 market once again , where whatever funds we have might stretch a little further.

There's little doubt that the club would appear to want to invest this money more off the field to have more to show for being in the premier league for years to come

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd argue those 5 players would cost more than £20m nowadays. For instance you're not getting a striker who scored 17 goals in the championship like Morison for £3m.

No, I agree tbf, but you might get one in a different market which is presumably where we’ll be shopping rather than the Champs. If Webber felt he needed a bit more money then I’ve no doubt he could get access to additional funds. Presuming this article has a degree of truth to it, we have been identifying targets and working on costing those up all season, so Webber obviously feels he can get the players we need for that money.

Also worth mentioning this squad has for more quality than lambert’s did.

Edited by kick it off

Personally, I think there's a lot of room for development in the squad we already have. I think we have a lot of players that are a long way from peaking in ability. I'd be surprised if we saw many transfers. 

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We've got to shift some too....some might bring in a transfer fee but all will reduce wages

Oliveira,Wildschut,Pinto,Franke,Husband,Jarvis,Naismith,Marshall...question mark over Klose. If Rhodes returned to Sheff Weds , it would free up a wage.

I would expect us to be very much operating in the lower Bundesliga, higher Bundesliga 2 market once again , where whatever funds we have might stretch a little further.

There's little doubt that the club would appear to want to invest this money more off the field to have more to show for being in the premier league for years to come

Olivera will most probably go to Reading, Pinto, Jarvis, Wildschut and Naismith are out of contract as far as I understand which will save a serious chunk of money. 

I would expect Marshall to move for what we paid for him but we are probably stuck with Husband for another year until his deal expires.

Either way we will have trimmed most of the waste from the squad so have wages and transfer money to spend. Like you I expect us to be looking for bargains in the Bundesliga 1 and 2 again, but so far that has gone rather well. I guess the only consideration might be the need for homegrown players especially if we have an eye on what might happen if we are relegated at the end of the year.