Icecream Snow

Daily Mail says we have a transfer cap of £20 million

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

That other mention (if it's the one you mean) wasn't really a report but just something Bill Punton said he'd heard, that everybody would get double, and get it halved back if relegated. That kind of gossip isn't always the most precisely reliable, even if there is a kernel of truth. I was dubious because of the "everybody" bit, which would mean at least a doubling of the wage bill.

But that some might get doubled makes sense, and if anything I suspect it would apply more to the young players who have forced their way into the squad and may well be on comparitively low wages. That would have less of an impact than doubling the wages of everyone, including the highest-paid.

Bill Punton was one of my favourite players, but do you really think that an employee of the club with very limited influence in the current set up would really have a clue about players contracts? He might know how some of the discussions might pan out, but suggesting that players wages would double on promotion (in addition to this supposed £10m reward pot?) is probably wide of the mark. 

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

Bill Punton was one of my favourite players, but do you really think that an employee of the club with very limited influence in the current set up would really have a clue about players contracts? He might know how some of the discussions might pan out, but suggesting that players wages would double on promotion (in addition to this supposed £10m reward pot?) is probably wide of the mark. 

I am not even sure he is an employee, is he? He may do some part-time hosting, but certainly not someone right on the inside as far as financial details are concerned. You may have got the wrong end of the stick, because I was I think the first poster to warn that what Punton said needed to be treated very carefully and should not be taken as accurate.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

I am not even sure he is an employee, is he? He may do some part-time hosting, but certainly not someone right on the inside as far as financial details are concerned. You may have got the wrong end of the stick, because I was I think the first poster to warn that what Punton said needed to be treated very carefully and should not be taken as accurate.

It was me who posted, and I believe i said that he "reckoned" that was the case. It was certainly never meant to be taken as gospel - he does the match day hosting and has done for nearly 20 years. I was a bit dubious when he said it tbh but I also spent the day with him, Michael Wynn-Jones for example came over a couple of times to chat to him and us, so it's not like he has no credibility whatsoever. I'm sure there was a kernel of truth in what he said, and I'm sure some of the younger players will have double money for promotion

I think the key to consolidation and staying in the Premiere league is keeping Webber interested in the project.

Ed Balls (just because of his political allegiance )took a lot of flack on here but was he the brains behind Webber’s appointment in the first place ? 

2 hours ago, JF said:

Other than cover for right back it is sorted? Why would we want to replace players that are being scouted by and linked to some of Europe’s top clubs! Godfrey and Zimmerman have been immense this season and we have Klose (hopefully) and Hanley for cover, Heinz is cover for Lewis. Just need cover for Aaron’s now

Have you seen the goals against column this season?  How do you think that will translate to the Premier League?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

James Maddison?

Miguel Almirion?

David Brookes?

Angus Gunn?

Just a few off the top of my head.

You seem to have this idea that there is an inverse relationship between price and commitment which just doesn't add up to be honest.

They're all playing for established clubs who most people would place above Norwich. All I'm saying is that the more expensive the player the higher his ambitions will be - or he's not worth having anyway. 

I'm not saying there is an inverse relationship between price and commitment simply that higher priced players almost always go to clubs with the greatest prestige - Hucks being the exception that proves the rule of course!

We'll find out in the summer.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

I know people like to play those football management games where you get to splash the cash to improve the team, but I am genuinely unsure who we could possibly bring in to improve the first team without spending ridiculous money (which we won't). I, therefore, think that anyone we do bring in will simply have to be competition and backup of a similar level to what we already have. TL;DR: we need backup/competition for RB, CDM, AM(R/L/C)/S. I see us making 5 signings at most unless any big names leave (for big money).

Defence: Our three youngsters are our most valuable players. They all have the potential to continue to improve before moving to top 6 prem clubs for eye-watering fees. However, Zimmerman is arguably (and I believe the stats back this up) the best defender we have. Klose and Hanley are more than adequate backup. We need a backup right back only. Hopefully a young academy product we have never heard of will appear to fill this position. Obviously, if we sell (or let Hanley/Klose go) then we will need to buy replacements. I keep hearing/reading that our defence needs strengthening, but I can't imagine how; the goals we concede tend to be because of the system we play rather than the personnel.

Midfield: Leitner, Vrancic and Buendia are easily prem quality. Kenny McLean has bags of potential. Tommy Trybull has been an upgrade on Tettey. Hernandez has scored and created goals all season. Stiepermann has been an immeasurable success at No 10. That's 7 awesome midfielders. We probably need to bring in someone to compete on the wing or at No 10 plus backup for CDM if Tettey leaves, although Louis Thompson could be like a new signing.

Attack: Pukki will be our main striker next season and will continue to play on his own up top. We are not going to sign multiple £10m+ strikers to warm the bench. However, we will need to replace Rhodes (if we don't make his move permanent). Hopefully we can sign someone who can operate in any of the attacking midfield positions as well as up front, but we might need more options as we are likely to find ourselves behind in games a little more often in the prem.

So what do we do in the Premier League?  Change the system which has got us to where we are, or just accept that we will concede shed loads of goals in the Premier League?

3 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Have you seen the goals against column this season?  How do you think that will translate to the Premier League?

How did that translate against Chelsea & Arsenal last year?

26 minutes ago, kick it off said:

It was me who posted, and I believe i said that he "reckoned" that was the case. It was certainly never meant to be taken as gospel - he does the match day hosting and has done for nearly 20 years. I was a bit dubious when he said it tbh but I also spent the day with him, Michael Wynn-Jones for example came over a couple of times to chat to him and us, so it's not like he has no credibility whatsoever. I'm sure there was a kernel of truth in what he said, and I'm sure some of the younger players will have double money for promotion

KIO, I noticed your original sensible disclaimer.

Just now, norfolkbroadslim said:

We lost both games!

By how many? To two of the top 6 teams.

We were damned unlucky to lose against Bournemouth this year too - again by the odd goal.

Some of the goals we've given away this year have occurred because it's been too easy, we've become complacent & lost concentration. There's always been the feeling " oh well, we'll just have to score another one". That won't be happening next season!

37 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I'm guessing Bill won't be subject to many insider tidbits after this thread.

8 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

By how many? To two of the top 6 teams.

We were damned unlucky to lose against Bournemouth this year too - again by the odd goal.

Some of the goals we've given away this year have occurred because it's been too easy, we've become complacent & lost concentration. There's always been the feeling " oh well, we'll just have to score another one". That won't be happening next season!

We conceded 60 league goals last season, 55 so far this season.  It is rather clutching at straws a bit to say we are fine defence wise for the Premier League and picking a couple or three cup games all of which we lost, by trying to justify those beliefs rather than the evidence of 2 full Championship seasons.

So what, all of a sudden we aren't going to make those mistakes?  Against better quality players?  Premier League players aren't better?  We'll try harder against Premier League players?  We'll play differently in the Premier League?

I'd love us to, relatively speaking, not concede many goals next season, but I just don't see it without strengthening.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

Last season the goals conceded by the 3 promoted teams in the 46 game Championship were - Wolves 39, Cardiff 39, Fulham 46.

So far this season in the Premier League those 3 teams have conceded - Wolves 42 goals in 34 games, Cardiff 65 goals in 35 games, Fulham 76 goals in 35 games.

Wolves in Championship conceded at a rate of 0.85 goals per game, in the Premiership 1.24 goals per game

Cardiff in the Championship conceded at a rate of 0.85 goals per game, in the Premiership 1.86 goals per game

Fulham in the Championship conceded at a rate of 1.00 goals per game, in the Premiership 2.17 goals per game.

So far this season we have conceded at a rate of 1.25 goals per game.

43 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Yep. What’s your suggestion? Dropping the youngsters that have impressed so much and have far bigger clubs queuing up to throw millions at us for them..,

1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

We conceded 60 league goals last season, 55 so far this season.  It is rather clutching at straws a bit to say we are fine defence wise for the Premier League and picking a couple or three cup games all of which we lost, by trying to justify those beliefs rather than the evidence of 2 full Championship seasons.

So what, all of a sudden we aren't going to make those mistakes?  Against better quality players?  Premier League players aren't better?  We'll try harder against Premier League players?  We'll play differently in the Premier League?

I'd love us to, relatively speaking, not concede many goals next season, but I just don't see it without strengthening.

That's what my last paragraph was effectively saying.

And I'm not saying we'll be 'fine', but I reckon we'll be better.

• Haha 1

In general I would take what is said in an article like this - and ditto gossip heard at the club - with a pinch of salt.  I remember someone telling us very confidently they'd heard from "someone in the directors' box" that  he team would be flying home & back when we had 2 games in the NW in quick succession, then it turned out they'd just stayed up there instead (revealed when players were posting on twitter about the training venue).

But what's being said is plausible and also something which SW would probably be happy to get out into the public domain, so I think it could well be true !

3 hours ago, JF said:

Yep. What’s your suggestion? Dropping the youngsters that have impressed so much and have far bigger clubs queuing up to throw millions at us for them..,

No.

It is very naive, rather foolish and a tad disrespectful to think that we don't need strengthening for the Premier League.  That is what I am saying.

4 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

No.

It is very naive, rather foolish and a tad disrespectful to think that we don't need strengthening for the Premier League.  That is what I am saying.

so again then, who from the back 4 needs to be replaced by strengthening? Zimmerman who has been absolutely immense this season? Or Godfrey, Lewis and Aaron’s all who are being scouted by some of Europe’s top clubs? Simple facts are that in today’s market there is pushing £100 million of potential talent there, the only way they will realise that talent is by being played at the top level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Our back four is of PL quality, not sure about the cover at full back though.

We have cover for Lewis in Heinz who we’ve yet to see play so it’s just cover for right back needed

2 minutes ago, JF said:

We have cover for Lewis in Heinz who we’ve yet to see play so it’s just cover for right back needed

Yeh I know we have cover, personally I’m not sure how good the cover is.

Just now, Van wink said:

Yeh I know we have cover, personally I’m not sure how good the cover is.

None of us do as we’ve yet to see him. I trust Farke and Webber’s judgement on bringing him in though and I believe he has Bundesliga experience 

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Perhaps the back four need better protection 

I’d agree with that, but that’s not what’s been said

This TEAM will concede goals at a greater rate in the Premier League than it has done in the Championship.

To put it another way, even in spite of strengthening how many teams promoted from the Championship have, in their first season in the Premier League had a lower goals conceded per game ratio than they had in the Championship?

Webber said we p***** our Prem money up the wall, wasted the opportunity.  For me it would be the same, suicidal, mad, absolutely crazy to go into the Premier League and not strengthen.  We cannot waste the opportunity.  We must do ourselves proud, do ourselves justice and give ourselves a fighting chance.  If we can turn round at the end of the season and say that we genuinely did that in all aspects, we can have no complaints. 

I think the club will strengthen, at least I hope they do.  I am just pleased that some of you aren't the ones making the decisions!

1 minute ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

This TEAM will concede goals at a greater rate in the Premier League than it has done in the Championship.

To put it another way, even in spite of strengthening how many teams promoted from the Championship have, in their first season in the Premier League had a lower goals conceded per game ratio than they had in the Championship?

Webber said we p***** our Prem money up the wall, wasted the opportunity.  For me it would be the same, suicidal, mad, absolutely crazy to go into the Premier League and not strengthen.  We cannot waste the opportunity.  We must do ourselves proud, do ourselves justice and give ourselves a fighting chance.  If we can turn round at the end of the season and say that we genuinely did that in all aspects, we can have no complaints. 

I think the club will strengthen, at least I hope they do.  I am just pleased that some of you aren't the ones making the decisions!

You’ve still dodged the question on who needs to be replaced by strengthening to stop the avalanche of goals that’s coming our way?

9 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Our defence most certainly is not sorted.  I couldn't disagree more on that point.

And to avoid any confusion this is the question that has yet to be answered?

1 minute ago, JF said:

You’ve still dodged the question on who needs to be replaced by strengthening to stop the avalanche of goals that’s coming our way?

I haven't dodged any questions.  I have chosen not to answer, because no matter what I say you will dismiss it as you vehemently do not think that we need strengthening. 

I also presume from your responses that you must think that someohow this TEAM (conceding goals, defending, isn't just about the back 4 and keeper you do realise?) will miraculously stop conceding goals at such a rate despite playing in a higher league.  How do we do that with the same players?  By luck?  By changing the way we play, our whole philosophy, or will it just happen by magic?  I said earlier in the thread that we either change some personnel or change the way we play with the same personnel, we could even do both!

I can guarantee you one thing.  Doing nothing, keeping the same team and playing in the same way and we will concede goals at a greater rate in the Premier League.