Icecream Snow

Daily Mail says we have a transfer cap of £20 million

Fulhams 100m has made them arguably a worse team than Cardiff's comparative peanuts. Huddersfield stayed up last year with smart but minimal investment.

There's something to be said about trying to keep the momentum of a promoted team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Promoted teams generally don't sell their best players the season they go up and we won't be under any pressure to. Godfrey's value will likely only increase after a season in the Premier League even if we go down.

You don't think £25m plus an agent keen to earn a huge commission is pressure?

I know people like to play those football management games where you get to splash the cash to improve the team, but I am genuinely unsure who we could possibly bring in to improve the first team without spending ridiculous money (which we won't). I, therefore, think that anyone we do bring in will simply have to be competition and backup of a similar level to what we already have. TL;DR: we need backup/competition for RB, CDM, AM(R/L/C)/S. I see us making 5 signings at most unless any big names leave (for big money).

Defence: Our three youngsters are our most valuable players. They all have the potential to continue to improve before moving to top 6 prem clubs for eye-watering fees. However, Zimmerman is arguably (and I believe the stats back this up) the best defender we have. Klose and Hanley are more than adequate backup. We need a backup right back only. Hopefully a young academy product we have never heard of will appear to fill this position. Obviously, if we sell (or let Hanley/Klose go) then we will need to buy replacements. I keep hearing/reading that our defence needs strengthening, but I can't imagine how; the goals we concede tend to be because of the system we play rather than the personnel.

Midfield: Leitner, Vrancic and Buendia are easily prem quality. Kenny McLean has bags of potential. Tommy Trybull has been an upgrade on Tettey. Hernandez has scored and created goals all season. Stiepermann has been an immeasurable success at No 10. That's 7 awesome midfielders. We probably need to bring in someone to compete on the wing or at No 10 plus backup for CDM if Tettey leaves, although Louis Thompson could be like a new signing.

Attack: Pukki will be our main striker next season and will continue to play on his own up top. We are not going to sign multiple £10m+ strikers to warm the bench. However, we will need to replace Rhodes (if we don't make his move permanent). Hopefully we can sign someone who can operate in any of the attacking midfield positions as well as up front, but we might need more options as we are likely to find ourselves behind in games a little more often in the prem.

I think we need a small sprinkling of stardust, without upsetting the cohesion of the group.

Farke doesn't frequently change the starting line up and we'll be playing 8 games fewer in the league, so stick with the core who got us to where we are - they really have earned it in spades!

I think we need to upgrade Stiepermann if I'm being brutal. Difficult to replace as we need someone exactly like him but with a better first touch, final ball. We can't replace him with a Buendia type, as we need his physicality so it would have to be someone of similar size and stature. Think he will get found out a little bit in the Prem if he starts every week. He's brilliant at many things and really links our attack together but he gives it away too often with a poor first touch or misplaced pass. Not smashing him or anything, great player to have in the squad but I think that's one area we could probably improve a little if the right player was available.

Cue the barrage of abuse for scapegoating and other such nonsense.

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You don't think £25m plus an agent keen to earn a huge commission is pressure?

No one is going to offer that much for Godfrey yet so I don’t think it is really an issue. 

I would be very surprised if Norwich sold anyone they didn’t want to sell. The only caveat to that is if they have minimum fee release clauses. 

Promoted clubs very rarely sell their best players (I can’t think of one example off the top of my head) and I don’t expect Norwich to buck that overwhelming trend. 

5 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I think we need to upgrade Stiepermann if I'm being brutal. Difficult to replace as we need someone exactly like him but with a better first touch, final ball. We can't replace him with a Buendia type, as we need his physicality so it would have to be someone of similar size and stature. Think he will get found out a little bit in the Prem if he starts every week. He's brilliant at many things and really links our attack together but he gives it away too often with a poor first touch or misplaced pass. Not smashing him or anything, great player to have in the squad but I think that's one area we could probably improve a little if the right player was available.

I wonder if this is where the Nick Powell link comes in- seems like he could play that role.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not really...

Plenty of ‘expensive players’ move to lower half and promoted teams every season. 

Finding players with the correct character is important, but just because a player has a large transfer fee or paid big wages doesn’t mean they won’t buy into the Norwich way. 

We need players who are ambitious but have the right character to fit into our squad. Even if they have the character then because they are already highly valued they will be ambitious to go to a higher ranked club, otherwise they will be lacking in said ambition,. All our successful incoming players have seen as as a big step up in their career as well as having the willingness to buy into our team ethic.

Anyone we bring in will be as a result of careful scouting from clubs we won't be aware of - like Emi. We won't pay more than a few million tops, & that'd be for someone with exceptional promise.

This is a generalisation of course. Anything's possible. But i think the chances of finding a motivated expensive player with the right character to improve our squad are extremely slim.

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

This is a generalisation of course. Anything's possible. But i think the chances of finding a motivated expensive player with the right character to improve our squad are extremely slim.

How are defining expensive?

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wonder if this is where the Nick Powell link comes in- seems like he could play that role.

I can certainly see why we may consider upgrading Stiepermann as he doesn't quite have the technical quality of a Premier League 'number ten', but does Powell? I'd rather keep Stiepermann and use him as a Fellaini-style attacking midfielder- one who use his physical prowess and awkwardness to unsettle the opposition and provide the platform for the other forwards to play rather than being the playmaker himself. 

Just now, ron obvious said:

£10m +

Then I totally disagree. There were maybe 3 or 4 Premier League clubs who didn't spend north of £10m on one player this last season and a fair few of them seemed motivated and bought in.

Marco's underrated. He tries stuff that doesn't always come off, but he's in a position where it doesn't (usually) matter so much. 

He's awkward but with much more skill than looks possible in such an ungainly player & can do the unexpected, which is invaluable. And he can score goals.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Then I totally disagree. There were maybe 3 or 4 Premier League clubs who didn't spend north of £10m on one player this last season and a fair few of them seemed motivated and bought in.

Could you name some for me? Genuinely interested.

£20m is peanuts and suggests to me it will be quality not quantity with only 2 or 3 coming in at the most. Hardly surprising and there's no point buying players for the sake of it. 

I feel that we only need a couple of additions and even that could be covered by permanent signings of Rhodes and Passlack - the only other area is CB depending upon Klose situation and GK if it is felt that there needs to be experienced cover for Krul & McGovern

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Could you name some for me? Genuinely interested.

James Maddison?

Miguel Almirion?

David Brookes?

Angus Gunn?

Just a few off the top of my head.

You seem to have this idea that there is an inverse relationship between price and commitment which just doesn't add up to be honest.

2 minutes ago, writeronthestorm said:

I feel that we only need a couple of additions and even that could be covered by permanent signings of Rhodes and Passlack - the only other area is CB depending upon Klose situation and GK if it is felt that there needs to be experienced cover for Krul & McGovern

So one player who failed to make a single start in the Championship and another who hasn't hit double figures in the Championship in 3 seasons will fill the gaps?

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

It mentions that some contracts will double on promotion, which is consistent with the other recent report, but also says there's scope to improve the contracts for some of our young stars on top of that, which is just good sense.

That other mention (if it's the one you mean) wasn't really a report but just something Bill Punton said he'd heard, that everybody would get double, and get it halved back if relegated. That kind of gossip isn't always the most precisely reliable, even if there is a kernel of truth. I was dubious because of the "everybody" bit, which would mean at least a doubling of the wage bill.

But that some might get doubled makes sense, and if anything I suspect it would apply more to the young players who have forced their way into the squad and may well be on comparitively low wages. That would have less of an impact than doubling the wages of everyone, including the highest-paid.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

That other mention (if it's the one you mean) wasn't really a report but just something Bill Punton said he'd heard, that everybody would get double, and get it halved back if relegated. That kind of gossip isn't always the most precisely reliable, even if there is a kernel of truth. I was dubious because of the "everybody" bit, which would mean at least a doubling of the wage bill.

But that some might get doubled makes sense, and if anything I suspect it would apply more to the young players who have forced their way into the squad and may well be on comparitively low wages. That would have less of an impact than doubling the wages of everyone, including the highest-paid.

I agree that "gossip" isn't reliable and it was always likely that "everyone" wasn't accurate given different contracts have been signed over the years.  But to have it repeated in this article (as applying to some) makes it sound plausible to me.  Especially because it fits with Webber's approach to this sort of thing, no messing around - the wages double if you go up but go back down on relegation.  Whereas previously the club said all players had "relegation clauses" in their contracts, but it's very clear from the Naismith saga that in his case the reduction on relegation wasn't much !!

To survive in the Prem, you need an experienced striker who's going to take the scarce chances that come our way with confident aplomb. There's only one man for that role, look no further than Fabio Quagliarella. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Blobfish OBE said:

To survive in the Prem, you need an experienced striker who's going to take the scarce chances that come our way with confident aplomb. There's only one man for that role, look no further than Fabio Quagliarella. 

Disagree entirely.

Carl Cort is the man to lead the charge. Forming the AA partnership with Hernandez (Argos and Asda)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, king canary said:

So one player who failed to make a single start in the Championship and another who hasn't hit double figures in the Championship in 3 seasons will fill the gaps?

yep

TBH whomever Farke and Webber sign, I'll be happy - they've been pretty much spot on, so far and very quick and astute to move players on or loan them out when it hasn't worked

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Agree, completely. His physicality is key to the system and provides and excellent foil for the more mobile attackers. I've no idea who would be a suitable replacement - it's pretty uncommon to have that level of size and strength and also the deftness of touch of a more conventional 10.

Let’s be honest, keeping Lewis, Buendia, Aarons, Godfrey and Pukki would be like spending over 100 million! Imagine what the outlay would be on these players if you wanted to buy them from Championship clubs?

Keep hearing the Idah although young is rather good for his age, knowing Farke, he’ll be brought through this summer.

So 20 odd million plus any additional money from sales of fringe players I can’t see us being too far away.

Certainly don’t think we’ll find it as easy as we did first season under Lambert, but if we could stay up, a premiership season under the youngsters belts will only see them develop into better players. It’s about keeping and building on the gems we have, not spending millions on the Naismith’s or Jarvis’s of this world......hungry players, please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kick it off said:

Can I just point out to all the pantwetters that in recent weeks we have used a starting 11 comprising of 4 academy products, 4 free transfers and 3 players who cost about £4million combined. We're top of the league.

Trust Webber.

Its an amazing story, and a fantastic one. 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Let’s be honest, keeping Lewis, Buendia, Aarons, Godfrey and Pukki would be like spending over 100 million! Imagine what the outlay would be on these players if you wanted to buy them from Championship clubs?

Keep hearing the Idah although young is rather good for his age, knowing Farke, he’ll be brought through this summer.

So 20 odd million plus any additional money from sales of fringe players I can’t see us being too far away.

Certainly don’t think we’ll find it as easy as we did first season under Lambert, but if we could stay up, a premiership season under the youngsters belts will only see them develop into better players. It’s about keeping and building on the gems we have, not spending millions on the Naismith’s or Jarvis’s of this world......hungry players, please.

Idah is a great shout at being next in line to break through from the Academy  

Great thing is I'll be getting me £250 quid, think of all the tenna pads that could buy for onward distribution next season.