Icecream Snow

Daily Mail says we have a transfer cap of £20 million

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't think the general idea of the story, that we will not go bananas to try to stay up, is any surprise. But I see this £20m figure is not just transfer fees:

The recruitment team, headed by Kieran Scott, are preparing to work to a total cost for new players of £20m covering transfer fees and wages.

So if that is correct and the wage bill associated with any new players is part of the £20m (which is the only way I can read it), then the transfer pot will be significantly less than £20m. But it also raises the question of by how much the club is raising wages anyway, if we get promoted.

I have no idea whether this Mail journalist has any inside info and whether he is right about it being transfer fees and wages. I highlighted the point because it looked from the headline and the first few paragraphs (such as the comparison with Fulham) as if the 20m referred only to transfers, and it wasn't clear from the early replies here that the buried comment about wages being included had been spotted.

One point is that if the journalist is right, then the 20m figure may refer to the transfer fees and to the wages for the new players only for the first season, as opposed to calculating what they would cost the club over, say, the three years of their contract.

Given that I imagine we will continue to pick up free transfers and comparitively cheap buys from abroad, it could be the 20m is not that far out, with most of it being the wages.

PS. While writing that I see Badger, for one, has made the same point about the figure perhaps referring only to wages for one season.

Edited by PurpleCanary

I'm not convinced we need anybody (OK, a striker & maybe goalie))

GK: Tim, Michael, Aston?

Our defence is sorted. FBs Jamal, Max, Philip, Ben (cover). CBs Chris, Timm, Grant, Ben (1st position).

midfield: Mo, Mario, Tom, Kenny, Marco, Onel, Alex, Todd, Emi, Philip (cover).

strikers: Pukki. Dennis (maybe!), Rhodes (maybe?) A N Other

This is a TEAM. It is more than the sum of its parts. Bringing in expensive players will NOT improve it - unless they really, really buy into NCFC. Which is very, very unlikely.

I want to see this team in the Premiership. It will be GLORIOUS!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

Bringing in expensive players will NOT improve it - unless they really, really buy into NCFC. Which is very, very unlikely.

Why is it very unlikely?

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Our defence is sorted. FBs Jamal, Max, Philip, Ben (cover). CBs Chris, Timm, Grant, Ben (1st position).

This is a TEAM. It is more than the sum of its parts. Bringing in expensive players will NOT improve it - unless they really, really buy into NCFC. Which is very, very unlikely.

Our defence most certainly is not sorted.  I couldn't disagree more on that point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

That squad is not going to keep us up, unfortunately. We need a right back to cover Aarons, a good quality defensive midfielder to compete with Trybull, at least one more wide option and a centre forward as an absolute minimum. Ideally also a goalkeeper to compete with Krul and maybe a centre back to take the place of Hanley. Also, Oxborough and Cantwell would benefit far more from loan moves where they'd play regularly.

I don't really see the need for many purchases from what I've seen this season. There are a fair few low end Premier League calibre clubs in the Championship that this squad has held its own against very well while on a steep learning curve for some of them. 

Most of our players have not reached their potential. I could see this team surviving and growing as the season progresses next season.

Norwich need a keeper, a right back, a defensive midfielder, at least one wide player (maybe two) and two strikers. 

Some of those players will be cover and a wide player who can play as a striker (or vice versa) could cover two positions but let’s not underestimate the step up that the Premier League represents. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Why is it very unlikely?

It's very, very unlikely because we're unlikely to be challenging towards the top of the Premiership, which is where expensive players will want to be.

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

It's very, very unlikely because we're unlikely to be challenging towards the top of the Premiership, which is where expensive players will want to be.

Not really...

Plenty of ‘expensive players’ move to lower half and promoted teams every season. 

Finding players with the correct character is important, but just because a player has a large transfer fee or paid big wages doesn’t mean they won’t buy into the Norwich way. 

Something this thread hasn’t yet touched on is whether we will lose any players. I’m sure we would all like to keep everyone in and around the match day squad, but if, say, Man U offer £25m for Godfrey I doubt we would turn it down. Despite how well they’ve played, I think our foreign squad members are probably safe - clubs would want to see a decent season in the PL first - but I can see there being interest in our young British players as investments for the future.

Perhaps we might attract loan players from the top 6 which has not always been the case as they might play ball if they thought they might get preference for moves for our starlets e.g. Aroons, Lewis and Godfrey in the future. Better loanees I.e. talent wise on the younger side to fit the current team ethos would be welcomed.

I think we'll be looking at low cost players from abroad desperate to prove themselves at a higher level - this has basically been our policy so far and I don't see it changing too much.

Obviously we want the squad to be competitive, but more important is that we look at this promotion season as another step in the development of the club as a whole.

As for there being a big step up to the Prem; of course there is. But realistically we only need to finish outside the bottom three for the season to be a huge success, and I think the majority of the current squad have earned the right to have a go at it.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Something this thread hasn’t yet touched on is whether we will lose any players. I’m sure we would all like to keep everyone in and around the match day squad, but if, say, Man U offer £25m for Godfrey I doubt we would turn it down. Despite how well they’ve played, I think our foreign squad members are probably safe - clubs would want to see a decent season in the PL first - but I can see there being interest in our young British players as investments for the future.

Promoted teams generally don't sell their best players the season they go up and we won't be under any pressure to. Godfrey's value will likely only increase after a season in the Premier League even if we go down.

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not really...

Plenty of ‘expensive players’ move to lower half and promoted teams every season. 

Finding players with the correct character is important, but just because a player has a large transfer fee or paid big wages doesn’t mean they won’t buy into the Norwich way. 

I feel like some of our fans were so burned by the Naismith experience that they can't get past it.

I wonder if Bournemouth fans doubt Nathan Ake's (£20m odd fee) commitment for example?

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich need a keeper, a right back, a defensive midfielder, at least one wide player (maybe two) and two strikers. 

Agree with all of these. I think people forget we're one injury away from a season of McGovern in goal or Srebeny upfront.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I feel like some of our fans were so burned by the Naismith experience that they can't get past it.

I wonder if Bournemouth fans doubt Nathan Ake's (£20m odd fee) commitment for example?

Is that the amazing story of plucky Bournemouth?

• Like 1

If and when we sign some low-profile European players that few have heard of can we learn the lesson of this season and not automatically berate the Club for a lack of ambition? (As per Puuki, for instance!)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Oh, forgot Louis. If he can shake off his appalling luck with injuries I still have high hopes for him.

I can understand your high hopes...but I fear he might be running into the same dead end again and again like Jarvis...:classic_unsure:

2 minutes ago, Grando said:

If and when we sign some low-profile European players that few have heard of can we learn the lesson of this season and not automatically berate the Club for a lack of ambition? (As per Puuki, for instance!)

It will be much more difficult to find unknowns or relative unkowns that will be able to compete at Premier League level.

2 minutes ago, Grando said:

Totally agree- I have complete faith in  Webber to find some gems and he's fully earned the benefit of the doubt over anyone he brings in.

2 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

It will be much more difficult to find unknowns or relative unkowns that will be able to compete at Premier League level.

I reckon Buendia and Vrancic can. 

26 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I doubt that'll happen. We wouldn't need to sell, and buying clubs would be happy to wait a year, see how they adapt to the Premier League, and then make a move if they impress. Also, the players themselves would be happy to stay at a club where they'll play Premier League football and be looked after, before maybe making the step up next year.

We can't afford to get significant upgrades on what we have so we don't need to spend much. We need different options. It would be touch and go whether we stay up with the squad as it is but we wouldn't be far off. I reckon without any additions we could get 32-38 ish points even accounting for poor refs and some bad luck. A couple of quality young players on loan in attacking positions. Another Tettey type player which never costs a fortune, a young backup gk and a physical forward good with his head and I think we're set. That should be covered by 20 million easy. 

An interesting article with quite a lot of specifics.  My guess is that SW has put it out there, to let other clubs know that we'll be operating on a very tight budget next season, and they can't assume Norwich will have plenty of money to spent following promotion (assuming that happens - I won't keep repeating but this whole post is assuming we get promoted which isn't yet guaranteed).

Key points for me are that it says our current wage bill is "just north" of £20m.  To me that implies somewhere between 20-25m.  Obviously Naismith's contract is finished at the end of the season and some others, so they'll be off the books.

It mentions that some contracts will double on promotion, which is consistent with the other recent report, but also says there's scope to improve the contracts for some of our young stars on top of that, which is just good sense.

The £20m per other comments reads to me as the budget for next season to bring in players, i.e. transfer fees plus first season wages.  Which to me is a clear signal that SW is continuing to look for value so outside England or players who're out of contract etc.

This also ties in with SW's interview recently, that the plan is to go with the current squad, strengthen selectively and take it cautiously.  The numbers above to me mean we won't be spending the full amount we get from TV in the Prem.  Which I am very happy with.  If we stay up, we can push on a bit, if we go back down we have a war chest plus parachute payments.

• Like 1

Earlier in the season we had plenty of people saying our young players and those well chosen would be snapped up by the prem clubs after the season finished.

Well fingers crossed we are in the same boat.

I also recall Webber saying how we won the lottery but p***** it all  up the wall so that kinda tells us how they will be prudent in their buying.

But lets get there first. 

For me there is a core team that is Premier League ready or had the potential to grow to that through the season...

Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Leitner, Vrancic, Hernandez, Buendia, Pukki and possibly Stiepermann. We've then got some solid elements throughout who can supplement but I think we need further depth in some areas and an upgrade in others.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Sheff Canary mentioned it on Page 1 , and yes, I think it's very likely that a star name will depart before next season starts if we're in the Premier League and there would be several others if by some bizarre fluke we're still in the Championship.

That's just part of football life whoever you are.

1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Our defence most certainly is not sorted.  I couldn't disagree more on that point.

Other than cover for right back it is sorted? Why would we want to replace players that are being scouted by and linked to some of Europe’s top clubs! Godfrey and Zimmerman have been immense this season and we have Klose (hopefully) and Hanley for cover, Heinz is cover for Lewis. Just need cover for Aaron’s now