Icecream Snow

Daily Mail says we have a transfer cap of £20 million

Give it a few hours and super journo David Freezer will be running a story on the Pink Un front page about this.

If the cap fits!

Why would anyone expect us to blow a load of cash, we will continue with the model that has served us so well since Webber and Farke arrived.

Its going to be great fun on here when all the Billy big bollox fans who are expecting us to "push the boat out" and spend  "loads ah money" realise the reality.

• Like 6

There’s no way they know our exact budget for the premier league. Just guess work. 

As long as we sign players who really want to be here, that buys into our ideas, I’m happy. No mercenaries thank you. 

• Like 5

I am happy with this to be honest. I don't think we should be spending lots on unknown talents or on players who get relegated with their current teams. Look at Fulham for example they spent 100 million and look where that got them. These players got us there and deserve a crack there. I would like 3/4 additions for me it would be another striker to help out pukki, suitable back up for Buendia as really have missed him when out. Another CDM to play tryball role and a another CB. Got that would be more then happy. 

Edited by Jsim1986
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Van wink said:

If the cap fits!

Why would anyone expect us to blow a load of cash, we will continue with the model that has served us so well since Webber and Farke arrived.

Its going to be great fun on here when all the Billy big bollox fans who are expecting us to "push the boat out" and spend  "loads ah money" realise the reality.

I wonder who'll be first to bump the FQ thread..? 🤫

Or we could have a game of 'Randomly-named rising young thing/someone we admire in the championship/out-of-contract PL journeyman who could still do a job for us' thread bingo. 🤣

I'll start.

Harry Wilson

Neil Maupay

Peter Crouch

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Yes, I know it's the Daily Mail, claiming we would only spend £20 million if promoted to the Premier League. Which seems light, unless it's a tactic to to try to drive down prices a bit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6951949/Norwich-set-20m-transfer-limit-avoid-wasted-spending-Premier-League-return.html

I don't think the general idea of the story, that we will not go bananas to try to stay up, is any surprise. But I see this £20m figure is not just transfer fees:

The recruitment team, headed by Kieran Scott, are preparing to work to a total cost for new players of £20m covering transfer fees and wages.

So if that is correct and the wage bill associated with any new players is part of the £20m (which is the only way I can read it), then the transfer pot will be significantly less than £20m. But it also raises the question of by how much the club is raising wages anyway, if we get promoted.

Often had disagreements with my Arsenal supporting bro, who always says Norwich lack ambition, simply because we dont chuck shedloads of money into the club to get further than we ever have done. But i try to explain that of course we  just dont have rich owners who can do that, besides, i for one think our model is just fine, our club is the best. It depends how one defines ambition, but in this day and age, doing it the City way is almost unique, especially time and again getting into the Prem without ever having rich owners splashing millions without a care.

What a season its been, summed up best by getting a guy in on a free transfer and  scoring 28 goals, best in the division and 3rd highest for a season in our history. Thats ambition at its finest and its worked all over the park and on the sidelines to. Immense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Common sense has to prevail, there is no gain in just spending for the sake of it (as has been pointed out here and proved by clubs like fulham...) The lads that got us here should get a chance. I would think that our defence needs reinforcing and we could use a new DM. 

I want players that really want to be at NCFC! I'm sure DF feels the same way...

I agree with trying to get Harry Wilson here ... and how about Reece James? He would be an asset!!! 

Let us not forget the Naismith saga. We have brought in some complete wastes of space in recent promotions in an attempt to compete.

I would like to see the current squad (plus just a few additions in the same mould) given a chance TBH. They have won that right.

56 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't think the general idea of the story, that we will not go bananas to try to stay up, is any surprise. But I see this £20m figure is not just transfer fees:

The recruitment team, headed by Kieran Scott, are preparing to work to a total cost for new players of £20m covering transfer fees and wages.

So if that is correct and the wage bill associated with any new players is part of the £20m (which is the only way I can read it), then the transfer pot will be significantly less than £20m. But it also raises the question of by how much the club is raising wages anyway, if we get promoted.

£20m covering fees AND wages!? No way. £20m as an annual wage budget in the Premier League is incredibly low. I'd imagine even Cardiff are spending more than that this season.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

£20m covering fees AND wages!? No way. £20m as an annual wage budget in the Premier League is incredibly low. I'd imagine even Cardiff are spending more than that this season.

Our wages already exceed this so I assume they are talking about a £20m addition to what we currently have.

Well if true that is one of DF's favourites Che Adams right off our menu!

Unless he was our only acquisition of course. £20m would cover his fee and wages just about.

I'm not unhappy even if this is anywhere near. I trust the management. I hope we play the same way as this year and not Hughtonesque or Alex Neil post-Newcastle. I hope too we can keep our (esp. younger players). 

With £20m to spend I'd reckon we might add four or 5 players

Maybe 2 free transfers, 1 loan and a couple of £10m fees.

5 /6 seems about right.

LB is covered but RB we may need an option.

We will need another AM and maybe another DM.

Then a winger/attacker plus one striker (poss. 2 needed here).

Main point: We will have score goals to stay up (Bournemouth style).

28 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Norwich’s current wage bill is £25m. I presume the £20m would be including wages for the new players only. Not the entire squad as that would require cutting the existing wage budget... 

Having re-read the quote, it says  'a total cost for new players of £20m covering transfer fees and wages'. I didn't read the word 'new', which is why it seemed ridiculously low. But as I said before, even as an increase it seems remarkably tight. Cardiff did things on the cheap last summer and even they spent £30m on fees alone, and no doubt increased the wage bill by at least £10m... probably more.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Surely it isn't £20m for fees and wages combined? Because if so we're really going to struggle to attract players.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Che Adams

Dan James

Reece James

Kalvin Philips

Luke Ayling

would be amazed if its any of those.  personally reckon we'll get in guys that we havent seen week in, week out, doubt we'll be chasing the championship 'hot properties'....leave that to the moneybags clubs. We'll do our own thing as we have for the last two seasons.

£20m per player surely. Still not huge, but more realistic

• Haha 2

I'm going to go on the assumption that is is just fees- as a free transfer on a three year £30k deal will cost us nearly £5m in wages.

Don't forget the expensive players reaching end of contract at the end of season - the money "saved" there will be added to the £20 Million pot, plus the offloading of players who although perfectly okay at championship level will already be deemed to be surplus to requirements at EPL level - I'm sure a budget for transfer income and salary savings there will also be added to the pot.  And I think it foolhardy to expect us not to survive the transfer window without one prime asset being poached.  So I would estimate (I have no proof of this other than the narrative above) this £20 Million additional spend will be part of a total "incoming" budget of £40 Million.  

Webber will already know who we are likely to buy. I suspect these will be players with outstanding stats from the lower reaches or relegated teams of the likes of La Liga, Bundesleague and any other major top division. The main move will be that we are buying / obtaining out of contract players from higher divisions in the same leagues as before. Our actual transfer cost therefore would not be huge and as previously I suggest players will come in with the prove yourself and you get a much better contract.

The figure quoted is imprecise and i suspect ill-informed. It says that includes wages but it does not say whether this is for year one or the length of the contract. A four-year contract of say 25,000 per week, which is very low for a premier league "ready" player, would account for £5 million. Four free transfers would cost us £20 million! (Probably significantly more with signing on fees and agents cuts.)

I suspect, therefore, that if there is any truth in this at all, that it only covers year one wages. More likely, assuming good intention from the journalist, (which might be a big jump!) it is an exercise in expectations management for fans and potential selling clubs alike.

Wages rather than transfer fees are the big issue.

Can I just point out to all the pantwetters that in recent weeks we have used a starting 11 comprising of 4 academy products, 4 free transfers and 3 players who cost about £4million combined. We're top of the league.

Trust Webber.

• Like 3