ridgeman

Norwich v Blackburn

59 minutes ago, wooster said:

Me too.

I can't get out of my head Mick Channon's confidence that we would stay up (14 May '85) when we had played 42 games (full season), were on 48 points with -18  goal difference.

Coventry had 3 games in hand, were on 41 points and a goal difference of -22.

They won all their games and ended on 50 points and a goal difference of -19.

We were relegated.

Even the football bosses Knew it was wrong, that's why all matches since end at the same time. ROBBED !

7 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Never mind the players bringing their A game on Saturday, some on here need to grow a pair and get behind the Team. 

.... sick of all this flouncing.

It's not flouncing, it's recognition that seemingly unlikely odds do not guarantee the outcome we all wish for. 

May 1985 is a case in point.

I can understand a degree of ‘it’s not done yet’ - as of course it isn’t - but you can’t get much closer than we are without it being certain.  I hope there’s none of this negativity come Saturday evening, as the last thing we need is a tense atmosphere when we ought to be in pretty high spirits.

‘I remember 84-85 season well, but those were very specific circumstances that are much different to now...we have our destiny in our own hands and don’t need to rely on anyone else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

just imagine how Leeds could play on Sunday

I can, and I foresee the Elland Rd faithful witnessing more end of season total and utter choking dogsh1te 👍

Edited by Alex Moss

28 minutes ago, wooster said:

It's not flouncing, it's recognition that seemingly unlikely odds do not guarantee the outcome we all wish for. 

May 1985 is a case in point.

So how about a little faith in the boys? All I'm getting from this is how good Blackburn are, how Leeds are suddenly going to turn from annual bottlers into a Team that will, not only beat in form Villa but will turn around an 11 goal deficit over 2 games...

... and how we, one defeat this year, only six all season, top scorers and unbeaten in 11 are suddenly going to fall off a cliff. 

Agreed, nothing is guaranteed and I'm not celebrating or taking anything for granted but, do the maths and try to be the 12th man. 

• Like 4

It's only nerves and the occasion that might give Blackburn a chance.

Any other time in the season and this would be considered a virtual home banker.

Even so I feel that the best they can hope for is a point .... and that will do.

It's not really pant wetting to be nervous though is it?

We have all followed the game long enough to know that freak goals (and it could be claimed that Wednesday benefited from two of those,) or bad decisions or whatever can happen, resulting in freak results.

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip," as **** van **** sang in Mary Poppins.

Oh no! Not again.

Edited by BroadstairsR

43 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I think we need the first goal, just to settle everyone down, so they can start celebrating !

And once we have got it we need to get another. Should have gone 2 ahead at Stoke and even though we were in total command in the first half we looked decidedly casual after the first goal.

We also need to be more aware after in crucial periods of the game - (1) just after we have scored, (2) just before half time and (3) just after half time as  we often seem to lose a bit of concentration in these periods and lose any momentum we had.

If we can also try to eliminate dribbling, and losing, the ball in and around our own penatly area then we should be fine.

Despite our preferred style of passing play there is no shame in hoofing it out of danger when needs be.

Having said all that I think we will win comfortably

Edited by Making Plans

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sky bet are offering 13/2 for a Blackburn win . Leeds to beat Villa 3/4 on. 12/1 double. If you are nervous get on it. 

The odds for us not getting promoted are far better. You can’t even get a price on Norwich ro be promoted.

55 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

And once we have got it we need to get another. Should have gone 2 ahead at Stoke and even though we were in total command in the first half we looked decidedly casual after the first goal.

We also need to be more aware after in crucial periods of the game - (1) just after we have scored, (2) just before half time and (3) just after half time as  we often seem to lose a bit of concentration in these periods and lose any momentum we had.

If we can also try to eliminate dribbling, and losing, the ball in and around our own penatly area then we should be fine.

Despite our preferred style of passing play there is no shame in hoofing it out of danger when needs be.

Having said all that I think we will win comfortably

Playing this way all season with this squad would have seen us midtable. We are where we are because we play high risk football and every player believes 100 % in every other player. We should note the 100’s of good moments playing this way rather than highlighting the limited number of bad moments. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Playing this way all season with this squad would have seen us midtable. We are where we are because we play high risk football and every player believes 100 % in every other player. We should note the 100’s of good moments playing this way rather than highlighting the limited number of bad moments. 

True, unbelievable that so many on here want to change the way we play, when it is the way we play that has us within 1 point of the Prem

• Like 2

I do not want to change the way we play and I did not in any way suggest that we should do that all the time. However, the Blackburn game is the most important game we have played all season and I don't want to see us lose it because of an isolated error that could have be avoided when somebody tries to get too clever.

Edited by Making Plans

Just now, Making Plans said:

I do not want to change the way we play and I did not in any way suggest that we should do that all the time. However, the Blackburn game is the most important game we have played all season and I don't want to see us lose it because of an isolated error that could have be avoided when somebody tries to get too clever.

I think we will be fine for at least a point but the fact is we are extra nervous because we have not really played completely convincingly for quite a few games excluding QPR where they sat off us and frankly they were just so woeful we could have scored 15.

I think that's why fans are particularly nervy because although results have remained great, we all recognise that we are not playing at quite the level we were two or three months ago.

• Like 1

Remember 1972 instead - a win and a draw in the last two games then saw us lift the title - and both of those matches were away.  We have Blackburn at home so FFS get behind the team and enjoy!

48 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think we will be fine for at least a point but the fact is we are extra nervous because we have not really played completely convincingly for quite a few games excluding QPR where they sat off us and frankly they were just so woeful we could have scored 15.

I think that's why fans are particularly nervy because although results have remained great, we all recognise that we are not playing at quite the level we were two or three months ago.

Agree with this. I will so pleased to see Vrancic start and Tettey and/or Leitner for Trybull etc. Back to winning fluid football ways.

I'm with the cautious  chorus here: I've seen seemingly inevitable things not happening in football so many times that I refuse to celebrate anything until it's mathematically certain. 

I think people are forgetting about another possibility....Thompson now fit and no doubt raring to go, how about Thompson in forTrybull if he’s injured?

My own view is that if we play Leitner, Buendia and Vrancic then we will be fine regardless of who else plays in the midfield.

Whilst it may make for great entertainment I don't want another game where we don't really have a grip of the midfield and it becomes open, end to end stuff. 

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

True, unbelievable that so many on here want to change the way we play, when it is the way we play that has us within 1 point of the Prem

Anyone watching us would see that the hoofs come back in double quick time. So we play out and over 90 mins keep the ball a lot more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Seen the weather forecast for Saturday evening? Storm Hannah is due to be right on top of us  by then so  possibly high winds, plenty of rain etc..Carrow Road may be a place of many unforced errors if to many  high balls are tried. Best to check the forecast on Saturday, galoshes and Raimacs maybe in order.

'We'll make it as difficult as we can for them'

Says Mowbray, does this mean they are going to kick seven bells out of us like earlier in the season?

Love this forum

Football experts now weather forecasters

Eat your heart out Lucy Verasamy