unique

Championship Shopping List

6 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Was listening to Chris Sutton, among others (Ian Wright, Charlie Adam), on 5Live tonight and he thinks our priority must be a decent goalkeeper. He didn't seem to rate Krul very much.

Fraser Forster was mentioned as a possible.

There was a good interview over the phone with Webber who had some interesting things to say.

Ian Wright thought it would be good to get a couple of players in who had been relegated because "they have got the experience of being relegated" but in his interview Webber seemed to indicate that that is not the route they want to go down.

I think you can get it on iPlayer or as a Podcast. The bit about City started sometime after 8.30

Surely signing players with the experience of staying up is preferable to signing those with experience of being relegated. If he actually said that, it wouldn't surprise me, because Wright does say some daft things at times.

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Talking of defensive midfielders, we’ve just been linked with Semi Ajayi from Rotherham today. A very good player actually, think he was at Arsenal at some point, he’s scored 8 goals so far and from his position that’s a decent return. 

He's a great shout and likely to be cheap. Exactly the kind of signing I can see us going for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think it is important that we bring in players with skill. We cannot match anything remotely like the ones at the top clubs

Silly statement when we have our mercurial Argentinian in the building.

Emi > Hazard

😉

I agree with Bethnal, I believe the DM midfield position is our number 1 priority or where the a large sum is required. Our system relies on that player breaking up play and we have seen over the years for top teams how important the role is and also we have looked at players to play that role, etuhu, francis, tettey, trybull, gary holt have been many of the names we have had in the past. I think we need to get a player with much more presence, pace and calmness to break up opposition breakaways and get us moving.

Striker spot number 2 and number 3 are needed as if Pukki is injured we do not have the fire power, so striker number 2 is second priority and then goalkeeper (if the right player is available) otherwise money can be spent on the cover at right back and winger, with both areas we need cover and upgrade with our wide players.

Really fascinating summer coming up and cannot wait to see a few players that have been on our books, that look set to leave, to move on quickly.

This side has the quality and providing we get off to a reasonable start we should be capable of a mid-table position. Our biggest challenge is that we are a relatively small side and we will lack the physicality which many sides possess. For me the priority is a strong, powerful, mobile and tall DM to give protection in front of the defence. We need extra height in dealing with set pieces and in particular someone capable of quickly closing down thrusts from midfield. It will not be easy, but hopefully the scouting staff will unearth the right player. Krull has worked well with his young defenders in building attacks from the back, but he is reluctant to leave his line and a bit slow in getting down to low shots. His job is not easy as there are a number of players who can really strike a ball with power and accuracy from well outside the box. As regards our two central defenders, to some extent they are ideal. Zimmerman can go through a brick wall and is a good leader and Godfrey is quick and covers well. Reminds me of Forbes and Stringer !!!!