unique

Championship Shopping List

Undoubtedly Farke and Webber already have their summer transfer targets primed.

Few supporters will want money thrown splashed out aka Fulham, and foreign unknowns may still be the club’s modus operandi.

However, there have been a number of standout performers in the Championship this season, so, if the price was right, would you want Norwich to try and sign any of the following?

Neal Maupay

Che Adams

Jarrod Bowen

Will Vaulks

Joe Lolley

Bradley Dack

Romaine Sawyers

Here's a controversial one, not technically a Championship player as he's owned by Chelsea, but Trevor Chalobah has looked decent the few times I've watched the s(um. After a grueling season in the second tier that will undoubtedly have helped him mature as a player, Chelsea may see his next phase of development as a season-long loan to a Premier League club. He could potentially offer more in that holding midfield role than Trybull and give the team a little extra height. And it was probably rile the s(ummers too.

Probably a non-starter, I suspect he'll have another season on loan in the Championship.

"If the price is right being the operative sentence."

Each highly priced transfer, whether it be from a Championship club or not, seems to perpetuate the inflationary spiral. In this respect NCFC getting nearly £25 for James Maddison will likely be reflected in the value clubs will put on their own starlets. 

I do not think that we will be in a position, either by preference or by use of good sense, of paying the money that would probably be mentioned for most of the above.

For this reason I would prefer us to continue with the policy of foreign recruitment which has paid off so well for the last two years in being value for money and in being the right characters at the same time.

Perhaps we would now be in a position to step up a level. 

I've come to consider Son of Tottenham to be the right sort to fit into our system, whilst offering something different at the same time.

However, he cost Spurs £22m, however they did pluck him from the German league and he might have a brother or two.

Whilst on the subject of chelsea loans....we should throw our name into the ring for reece james who after his loan at wigan,chelsea will surely now want to see how he fairs at premier league level on a season ling loan. We're as likely as anyone??

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Whilst on the subject of chelsea loans....we should throw our name into the ring for reece james who after his loan at wigan,chelsea will surely now want to see how he fairs at premier league level on a season ling loan. We're as likely as anyone??

Agreed, Reece James looks ready & impressive and might be available

• Like 2

I think we will go for Che Adams as one of the larger purchases we make (like Bournemouth did with Wilson), plus Attacking Midfielder Fortounis from Olympiakos.

Also we were linked with the Roma (Swedish national team) keeper weren't we? But he would be out of our spending budget.

1 minute ago, paddycanary said:

Agreed, Reece James looks ready & impressive and might be available

Would like that fella, even more than Bowen

Farke and the set up will attract good young loanees I reckon. A London based u23 player in our proven coaching system will be ideal. Chelsea loan out about 300 each year so I wouldn’t be surprised to see one come in , or Arsenal / Spurs. 

Hull supporting friend has said Bowen is good, but not good enough for what we need. He’d be another Pritchard in the Premier League. I trust in Farke and Webber to find some more gems this summer, but I would imagine that now it’s an almost certainty of Premier League football next season, then we’d be able to get the next ‘step up’ in German bargains etc i.e players perhaps in and around the Dortmund first team. Of course, they’ve already pulled off the spectacular by pulling in the likes of Leitner and Vrancic, definite Premier League ability, and I fully expect them to shine there.

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"If the price is right being the operative sentence."

Each highly priced transfer, whether it be from a Championship club or not, seems to perpetuate the inflationary spiral. In this respect NCFC getting nearly £25 for James Maddison will likely be reflected in the value clubs will put on their own starlets. 

I do not think that we will be in a position, either by preference or by use of good sense, of paying the money that would probably be mentioned for most of the above.

For this reason I would prefer us to continue with the policy of foreign recruitment which has paid off so well for the last two years in being value for money and in being the right characters at the same time.

Perhaps we would now be in a position to step up a level. 

I've come to consider Son of Tottenham to be the right sort to fit into our system, whilst offering something different at the same time.

However, he cost Spurs £22m, however they did pluck him from the German league and he might have a brother or two.

So the brother of your Son? A sort of son in law? 😂

Maupay or Adams as competition for Pukki.

We need more wingers as Emi's suspension highlighted so starkly. So maybe James or Bowen.

Birmingham rejected bids of £18m for Che Adams in January. 

The Championship is probably the 2nd most expensive League in the world to shop in (after the Prem). 

Would be extremely expensive for Norwich to get any players from Championship clubs in the summer and not a market I can see Norwich really exploring. 

• Like 3

Ironically, I think we signed Canos 4 years too early. Had he been signed under Farke’s tenure, I bet Sergi would be a fantastic addition to our squad. He’d fit into our Farkeball system perfectly, good cover for Buendia, if not playing alongside him at times - both of them on fire would be mouthwatering. He most certainly has the ability, no doubt about that, the only thing I’d question is his consistency. But that tends to remain more constant in a happy winning environment under a manager with fantastic man management skills, so go figure.

• Like 1

Pawel Bochniewicz latest being rumoured. Serie A Udinese CB (out on loan currently). Typical "big unit" and 23 years old. 

Ah....the silly season is arriving already and we are not even out of April.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Reece James, as in the Right Back Reece James? You ready to dump Aarons?!!?! Great player but not right for us with Max flourishing.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

So the brother of your Son? A sort of son in law? 😂

The brother of your Son would be.... your other son....

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Pawel Bochniewicz latest being rumoured.

Not actually played a game for Udinese yet, been out on loan in the Polish league. I'm Polish and not really familiar with him - he played in the youth sides but not very much and not been near a full call up. Caused a bit of controversy earlier in the year by feigning injury until the ref blew up for full time and then leapt up Lazarus. Ended up publically apologising and having to buy some tickets for the fans as penance. He is a big unit so could be useful to have as we are a relatively small side but I know literally nothing about how good (or not) he is.

Yeah I thought R James looked a strong physical presence and a great loan option, I can see him sitting in front of defence as a perfect player to have there.

I recall the Greek International winger, now Polish defender and I do wonder if a few of the Reading boys look good, Meite looked decent upfront in a Pukki role, but probably not the right option.

I would be happy with R James and another Premiership loan youngster and then purchases from Europe. Some great suggestions from the championship but as noted it is the league with the most inflated prices, so happy to avoid if it is too much.

11 minutes ago, smooth said:

Yeah I thought R James looked a strong physical presence and a great loan option, I can see him sitting in front of defence as a perfect player to have there.

Not saying he can't play there, but you realise he is primarily a Right Back, not a defensive midfielder?

If we're pinning our hopes on a kid, on loan and playing out of position that will be a little bit concerning, although having said that - he does look a hell of a prospect and Wigan fans can't get enough of him. I spoke to one on the way to the ground who said the only reason he turns up every week is ro watch RJ, he'd have jacked the season in a month ago if he wasn't there.

EDIT - To be fair Wigan fans are saying he looks much better suited to midfield than full back and they have preferred him playing there for last few games.

Edited by kick it off

Reece James was the best player on the pitch at Wigan a couple of weeks back.

Fantastic at DM,

And would provide cover for Max

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Reece James was the best player on the pitch at Wigan a couple of weeks back.

Fantastic at DM,

And would provide cover for Max

Just read that he takes penalties. Forgot about that one against us. Get him in!

Edited by kick it off
  • Haha 1

I would, relatively speaking, break the bank to sign Daniel James.  I think he would do very well indeed, but even if we were prepared to push the boat out for us, I am not sure that would be enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Has looked good in the two recent games.....not sure about the hair ...but could live with that as long has he gets a decent trim.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Funny how when I suggested Son when we had Hughton as manager, I was derided with him being classed as a 'nobody I found on Football Manager'...

I also suggested Firmino whilst he was at Hoffenheim, Klose who went on to sign for us, and a number of other talented players as well.

Agree with a lot of the suggestions above. I would especially like to see Danny James here next year. I may have gotten this horrifically wrong, but didn't Leeds agree to buy him for 5 million + add-ons in January? 

With Passlack and Pinto on the way out, I actually thought that Dominic Iorfa looked decent for Sheffield Wednesday when we played them. Tall, strong, quick and decent at both ends of the pitch. At 23, I think he'd be decent cover for Aarons.

I don't think Mike van der Hoorn of Swansea and Rakeem Harper of West Brom have signed new deals yet. Both good players available on frees, Harper is still only 19.

At the moment we have 12 "foreign" players in McGovern, Zimmerman, Heise, Leitner, Vrancic, Trybull, Tettey, McLean, Buendia, Hernandez, Stiepermann and Pukki (and 13 if we sign Klose on a new contract).

The Premiership limit is 17.

Homegrown we've got Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell that would make it into a 25 man premier league squad (Jury's out on Hanley and Thompson).

So realistically, if we want to sign 6-7 new players, we're going to need a couple of homegrowns, unless we can loan a Dean Henderson or a Harry Wilson.

8 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Agree with a lot of the suggestions above. I would especially like to see Danny James here next year. I may have gotten this horrifically wrong, but didn't Leeds agree to buy him for 5 million + add-ons in January?

Leeds wanted a loan until the end of the season, with a right to buy if they got promoted. Various figures floating around, but the Telegraph says it would have been £10m+

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/01/leeds-furious-swansea-pull-plug-10m-daniel-james-deal-final/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Homegrown we've got Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell that would make it into a 25 man premier league squad (Jury's out on Hanley and Thompson).

Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell were all under 21 on Jan. 1st, I believe, so don't need to be included in the 25. Godfrey is the oldest, whose 21st birthday was on 15th January. So quite a bit of room in the 25 for both categories, especially home-grown.Just checked ... Lewis and Cantwell have also had 21st birthdays, but after the Jan 1st deadline, so still considered u21

Edited by makham
  • Like 1