Six Pack

Farke Chokes !!!

If that's choking, I bet there are 20 odd other teams in the division who wish their manager needed the Heimlich Manouver. 

It's very rare that I question the selections of a successful manager - I tend to think there is a reason that they work for a football club while I work for a printer.

• Like 2

As soon as we have Leitner and Vrancic playing we look so much better, the passing is much quicker and more accurate. Clearly we have had a fantastic run, but it’s hard to believe that we would have been any less successful with these two playing.

The draws have been a little disappointing but I think down to separate issues. Reading and Wigan pressed us hard and flooded midfield, there was little space and passing was more hurried and imprecise. Both wigan and Sheff Weds had really bad refereeing decision going against us, plus in the latter case a world class goal. Sheff Weds aIso an improving side under Bruce with good discipline and players, plus an out of form and position Leitner. All games we were bound to be nervous and lack some fluidity as the line approached. And of course BUendia missing until yesterday. A free header and a missed chance to clear, basic errors but not confined to that game either! We have not been at our best but in fact could have won 3 out of the 4. No choking, just football life in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.

• Like 3

Promotions, as Daniel Farke has stated, are not given to you. He was right to lift his players off the pitch at Stoke. In the cold light of day he is right. Any other team would want to be in our place. Rather than thinking he has choked, I think the real story of the previous 3 draws is one or a comibination of (a) decidedly poor refereeing (b) poor finishing when in terrific shooting positions (c) good goalkeeping.

These things happen in football.

What should happen now is that Sheff Utd will beat the binners (by the odd goal not 3 or 4) and we then know we need 3 or 4 goals to get an advantage on goal difference going into the final game. Rather then thinking we need a point for promotion I would (as manager and as a player) be counting on how great the team was and playing for winning a title. Let's go and turn Blackburn over in real style in front of our own fans. That is how I want this penultimate game to go. 

Edited by sonyc

the "choking" idea is ott imo... I would like to see Vrancic playing iso McLean , but that doesn't mean I don't respect what Kenny has done on the field. I just think Vrancic has qualities that our attacking play needs. I mean, he has shown time and again his prowess as a creative midfielder and his class at taking free kicks which can prove game changing. 

It's down to nerves too ... you can see some of the younger lads are feeling the stress. DF is not choking , he's shown he can manage the lads . I just don't agree with his substitutions and their timing...along with the fact that Vrancic isn't starting...but , as I said in another thread who am I to disagree , we are 12 unbeaten!!!!

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Promotions, as Daniel Farke has stated, are not given to you. He was right to lift his players off the pitch at Stoke. In the cold light of day he is right. Any other team would want to be in our place. Rather than thinking he has choked, I think the real story of the previous 3 draws is one or a comibination of (a) decidedly poor refereeing (b) poor finishing when in terrific shooting positions (c) good goalkeeping.

These things happen in football.

What should happen now is that Sheff Utd will beat the binners (by the odd goal not 3 or 4) and we then know we need 3 or 4 goals to get an advantage on goal difference going into the final game. Rather then thinking we need a point for promotion I would (as manager and as a player) be counting on how great the team was and playing for winning a title. Let's go and turn Blackburn over in real style in front of our own fans. That is how I want this penultimate game to go. 

So do I

Yet another Pink Un windup.

League leaders, 3 defeats since the end of August, undefeated in 12, and 6 points clear of 3rd with 2 games to go. Perhaps we've not finished as strongly as we could have, but choking... perhaps go and pay a visit to Waccoe mate?

• Like 1

Generally I find the banning of any dissenting opinions and constructive criticism deeply concerning, but being that we're hours away from having promotion confirmed, masterminded by the most gloriously-haired manager we've ever had, I say this: 

"GTFO of here with your criticisms of Farke.  Straight to the gulag with you."

Edited by Orly

It is bizarre to get these over-critical threads - we are top of the league and look 99.9% certainties for promotion.  

Put into context, this is on the back of finishing 14th last season and selling (2 of our) our best player(s), replacing with very-much cheaper options.

Need I say more?

Well with Trybull seemingly out for Saturday it presumably opens the door for Vrancic and Leitner. Cannot agree with OP in any shape or form. For 44 games DF and the guys have given us a season to remember, all the more special as it coincides with the binners sinking without trace.

"Weve sold Josh and Madders, where will the goals come from?"...89 goals on the board 40 more than last season!

Top spot, just 1 point from promotion.

Pukki 3rd highest league scorer in a seaon for City, 1 more to equal 2nd with Varco. Sure to be leading scorer in this division this season.

Playing a style of football thats given so much more entertainment this season from last its like chalk and cheese.

Giving the away supporters a season to remember for a long time, just 2 defeats in 22.

Blooding youngsters like Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell that bodes well for our academy s future.

Having faith in, and getting hugely more than last season, out of guys like Stiepermann and Vrancic.

I could find many more reasons why for me, this season is a cause to celebrate what our head coach has given us, i cannot remotely be bothered to nitpick anything hes done  wrong. On top of all that Daniel is just a great guy and we fans have connected to him since the day he arrived. Nothing more to say, we are lucky to have him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Great post Essjayess.

Vrancic looks like he should be starting given DFs substitution when TT became injured. Expect him to start Saturday night. Not only did he score that 97th minute free kick but again found Teemu for his header. He is nerveless and a cool customer. We need him Saturday evening. Your time has come Mario!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think we'll see City really having fun for their last home game of the season next weekend. Bolton has been getting good results, but we're a big step up from their recent games. Looking forward to it. 🙂

We’re playing Blackburn.........Bolton would have been even more fun :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

Having read through the posts on this thread, there appears to be a commonality of thought (or certainly a sway of opinion) that most of us would have made different selections to those our manager made, the word stubborn also appears a few times, the vast majority believe the word choke is misplaced and overall DF has done a great job, we are top of league after all.

I agree with all of these sentiments, however I do have a concern, insomuch there may be a certain amount of lack of vision and/or tactical awareness, which may come to bite DF in the behind when competing against ‘better’ managers in the Prem.

I applaud all he has achieved (alongside Stuart Webber) and sincerely hope my concern is unfounded, but, given the majority on here would have done things slightly differently, one can only assume others may have the same concern.  DF will enter the promised land next season and will have to learn to swim pretty quickly because the sharks he will encounter are bigger and have a more ferocious bite, I sincerely hope he does and we go on to bigger and better things.

All that said, I have enjoyed this season more than pretty much any other, and look forward to a promotion/Championship Winning party.

26 minutes ago, Orly said:

Generally I find the banning of any dissenting opinions and constructive criticism deeply concerning, but being that we're hours away from having promotion confirmed, masterminded by the most gloriously-haired manager we've ever had, I say this: 

"GTFO of here with your criticisms of Farke.  Straight to the gulag with you."

I think banning of dissenting opinions would be as ridiculous as banning dissenting replies....

I also don't see anything wrong with people wanting Farke to play their favourites. But perhaps we shouldn't give him too much stick for not doing. The way I see it if we were better and controlled the games better when Leitner was playing that also applies to Tettey. Yet there is no clamour for him to replace Trybull.🙃

One of the characteristics of Farke's management is that he values consistency in selection and tactics and that is what he has done and stuck to. To my mind its quite the opposite of choking and although i don;t agree with some of the decisions he has made I do respect him for that consistency of approach which must also be largely appreciated by his players.

I think there remain some serious question marks over our ability to defend crosses and set pieces which will undermine any premier league campaign if not addressed in the summer. Some of our players also look a little leggy due to the fact they play 90 minutes virtually every game. And I do think Vrancic and Leitner in particular have been underused - see how we stopped giving the ball away when they were both on at the end on Saturday and could and should have played more than they have done. IOn particular i would have had Vrancic back in place of Mclean in a few games because I think kenny in that holding role offers end product (whether scoring or assisting) but we have definitely been more careless with possession with him in the side.  These are areas where I do not necessarily agree with everything Farke has done (although he's still done miles more right than wrong in anyone's book) but that's just my opinion. But i don;t think you can put any of that down to him choking, in fact its the polar opposite as its been due to him having absolute faith in his methods and judgment. Choking would have been making wholesale changes to how we play after a couple of the poorer recent results (which were still draws rather than losses).

• Like 1

Is the OP an 'I want, I want' Millennial? 

It is always tough in the final strait and harder still to win from the front. Of course nerves kick in: allied with some game changing refereeing going against us. 

But our supporters have been too entitled and too expectant. Just because something is mathematically possible over Easter does not mean it's a failure not to happen. 

I was at the beam back yesterday. If the mood there is replicated in front of the players no wonder they get affected by nerves. 

It would be great to finish on a high. The players and DF deserve that but this promotion was won over 44 games not 4.

• Like 1

It’s hard to say anyone choked as no one is giving the likes of Wigan & Reading the respect they deserve, they have been on an very strong run fighting to stay up.

It could be argued that maybe Leitner should have come back in for McClean or Vrancic for Steipermann, but the reality is we’ve not lost in 12, if we win and draw the last two, that’s 9 wins 5 draws in the last 14 games and the title.....if that’s choking then can we please choke next season too.

Re tactics we don't seem to have much answer to the high press when it is being done well. It usually seems to end in a pass back to Krul, a pause and first touch followed by a hurried upfield kick or to a man being closed down. Sometimes I do think we need to be a bit more direct and not always seek to pass it through the middle relying on good movement from the CMs or the young FBs. If there is a high press just knock it over their heads a few times and get defenders running backwards, nearly got Dawson sent off on Friday......

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I think banning of dissenting opinions would be as ridiculous as banning dissenting replies....

I also don't see anything wrong with people wanting Farke to play their favourites. But perhaps we shouldn't give him too much stick for not doing. The way I see it if we were better and controlled the games better when Leitner was playing that also applies to Tettey. Yet there is no clamour for him to replace Trybull.🙃

I am. Tettey to replace TT most definitely for me.

if we replace Trybull with Vrancic, where’s the protection for the back 4?? Vrancic and McLean are very attacking players. 

• Like 1

How do we get to this sort of stuff when we are top of the League and unbeaten for so long I cant remember....FFS

Roll on next season ......I give Farke untill our first defeat before the "out' cries begin.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

For what DF has done for us this season I feel I'd let him off if I found him in bed with my Mrs.

That would be a “ complicated situation “ 

I'm just looking forward to the DVD of the season - will surely be the best one we have ever produced  😉

6 hours ago,  Mr Tea said: 

For what DF has done for us this season I feel I'd let him off if I found him in bed with my Mrs.

That would be a “ complicated situation “ 

Especially if a horse was involved.

This negative approach to the end of season situation is a nonsense.

This is without any doubt the best season for any Norwich city coach / manager in living memory. To achieve promotion with such a young talented team, some of whom had never played at this level is an incredible achievement. 

And before somebody says we are not yet promoted I would say you have not watched Leeds play recently nor recognise just how difficult Norwich City are to beat.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tumbleweed said:

Re tactics we don't seem to have much answer to the high press when it is being done well. It usually seems to end in a pass back to Krul, a pause and first touch followed by a hurried upfield kick or to a man being closed down. Sometimes I do think we need to be a bit more direct and not always seek to pass it through the middle relying on good movement from the CMs or the young FBs. If there is a high press just knock it over their heads a few times and get defenders running backwards, nearly got Dawson sent off on Friday......

That’s what he always did until some decided to give him grief on the odd occasion it went wrong. Watch Man City, Liverpool and Barca, they are much better than us and still give the ball away on occasions.