Probably not the thank you they are looking for but I'd certainly take a couple of their players here.

Maupay reminds me of Pukki but he's quite a bit younger and Konsa looks like a real talent at the back. Think both would be great additions here.

Both Maupay and Konsa are great talents. 

Unfortunately I think both of them are already out of Norwich’s reach. Konsa in particular will end up at one of the 3 or 4 teams who challenge for 7th - I expect Leicester or Everton. 

Maupay will cost a lower table team around £15m - Bournemouth or someone similar. Could even see him somewhere like Stoke next season as they rejig for a promotion push.  

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Unfortunately I think both of them are already out of Norwich’s reach. Konsa in particular will end up at one of the 3 or 4 teams who challenge for 7th - I expect Leicester or Everton. 

Maupay will cost a lower table team around £15m - Bournemouth or someone similar. Could even see him somewhere like Stoke next season as they rejig for a promotion push.  

Is £15m really out of our reach? Provided the contract isn't too big I think it shouldn't be.

Webber has said we won't be spending £15 million on a single player if we get promoted.

I doubt we'll spend big on a forward in the summer. We'll need to get someone for sure, but I suspect Pukki will be given the starting berth and if he doesn't cut the mustard we may have to open our wallet in January. Wouldn't be surprised to see a young loanee coming in to give Pukki competition. And if the price was right, I wouldn't be surprised if Rhodes signs permanently, despite not getting too many minutes in a division lower than we'll be next season.

With our management structure, I don't think we will ever fork out £15m for a player. They would rather try to get 20 unknown to become good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Is £15m really out of our reach? Provided the contract isn't too big I think it shouldn't be.

I don’t think it is, but the Webber quotes the other day suggested that won’t be happening. 

I also don’t think that Norwich would see particular ‘value’ in either of those players who are probably going to be subject to a bit of a bidding war in the summer. 

I don’t see Norwich bringing in any players from Championship clubs in all honesty, but I guess it depends on if someone unexpected becomes available. I’d love for Norwich to get in Dan James - but again suspect a mid table Premier League club will jump in and be able to smash any wage offer Norwich make out of the water. 

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don’t think it is, but the Webber quotes the other day suggested that won’t be happening. 

I also don’t think that Norwich would see particular ‘value’ in either of those players who are probably going to be subject to a bit of a bidding war in the summer. 

I don’t see Norwich bringing in any players from Championship clubs in all honesty, but I guess it depends on if someone unexpected becomes available. I’d love for Norwich to get in Dan James - but again suspect a mid table Premier League club will jump in and be able to smash any wage offer Norwich make out of the water. 

This concerns me for quite a few reasons. If we're going up with the understanding that there is a good chance we come back down then we need to be factoring in the home grown rule in any transfer dealings, especially as I doubt we'll have Aarons or Godfrey is we're back in Championship.

There isn't an infinite supply of Buendia types, sometimes we will actually need to splash out on a decent sized fee.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

This concerns me for quite a few reasons. If we're going up with the understanding that there is a good chance we come back down then we need to be factoring in the home grown rule in any transfer dealings, especially as I doubt we'll have Aarons or Godfrey is we're back in Championship.

There isn't an infinite supply of Buendia types, sometimes we will actually need to splash out on a decent sized fee.

It will be interesting to see how the summer window is managed. 

I guess they will look at the next bunch of ‘homegrowns’ coming through the academy and I wouldn’t be surprised if a chunk of the PL money is used on young talents to fill the academy. 

Idah, Cantwell and Thompson may be players to step into the team and cover homegrown spots. Also upon potential relegation there could be a move to bring in homegrown players. For every Aarons that leaves, there will also be a Buendia (sadly). 

Webber could have been using the telegraph piece for a bit of signalling that they won’t be pushovers in negotiations. I know Norwich have been sniffing around at least one player who could be in the £15m region. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It will be interesting to see how the summer window is managed. 

I guess they will look at the next bunch of ‘homegrowns’ coming through the academy and I wouldn’t be surprised if a chunk of the PL money is used on young talents to fill the academy. 

Idah, Cantwell and Thompson may be players to step into the team and cover homegrown spots. Also upon potential relegation there could be a move to bring in homegrown players. For every Aarons that leaves, there will also be a Buendia (sadly). 

Webber could have been using the telegraph piece for a bit of signalling that they won’t be pushovers in negotiations. I know Norwich have been sniffing around at least one player who could be in the £15m region. 

I think we've seen this season that recruiting home-grown players while in the Championship is tough.

If I was Webber I'd be looking at cherry picking a couple of top Championship home grown players (Konsa, James, McBurnie for example) who help bolster us if we go back down.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

We don't need an 'infinite supply' though. I imagine we will reinvest a decent amount of money into younger players for the u23 setup etc; with hope that they'll breakthrough to the first team in a year or two.

I'll be honest, i'm pretty much happy to go with Webber on it - he was heavily criticised pre-season and even into the start of this one yet he's proven, unsurprisingly, to know a lot more than us on the subject. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We don't need an 'infinite supply' though. I imagine we will reinvest a decent amount of money into younger players for the u23 setup etc; with hope that they'll breakthrough to the first team in a year or two.

I'll be honest, i'm pretty much happy to go with Webber on it - he was heavily criticised pre-season and even into the start of this one yet he's proven, unsurprisingly, to know a lot more than us on the subject. 

I'm also happy to go with Webber on it- I was one of his staunchest defenders earlier this season.

Doesn't mean it isn't open for discussion.

I have to hold my hands up and say I couldn't stand him, purely because he is a massive Sebastien Vettel fan and I can't stand the whiney, fortuitous, over-rated little toad. Anyone who is a fan of of him must have their judgement called into serious question.

But it looks like his knowledge of what makes a good football player and football team is significantly superior to his knowledge of what makes a good F1 driver.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This worries me,

Specifically, the suggestion that Stoke are in a better place to recruit than us.

They're ready to ask 20m+ for Maupay , a source close to the Bees has told me. I have a few Brentford fans among my in laws...

4 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

They're ready to ask 20m+ for Maupay , a source close to the Bees has told me. I have a few Brentford fans among my in laws...

That was a rumour in January too- I imagine there is a deal to be done somewhere though.

55 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

This worries me,

Specifically, the suggestion that Stoke are in a better place to recruit than us.

Not necessarily about being in a better place, but about how teams prioritise and gamble. 

If Stoke are prepared to offer more than Norwich for Maupay, then Brentford will sell to Stoke.

It is a bit like Tammy Abraham, several Premier League clubs wanted him, but Villa offered a bigger loan fee so he went there in the end. 

49 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

This worries me,

I sympathise! but of course next season will not be sweetness and light. We’ll still be ‘little’ Norwich on a budget - as this year, but on a grand scale once, more despite the promised extra £m’s.

It will contain fun and exhilarating moments, but mostly we will come face to face again with the hardnosed reality of elite football economics. We may excel, we may flounder.

I’m really looking forward to how Farkeball fares at the top level and ditto Webberrecruitment . I don’t think it’s overly negative to predict we’ll lose more games than we win, and we’ll lose more player targets to others than we’ll capture.

This isn’t actually a message to you personally by the way, rather a plea to our whole fan base 

we & many others have been here before, many times  - let’s not forget the challenge starts (not stops) when we’re promoted!

Is anyone else slightly concerned that Webber might feel that his job here is sufficiently done now? His area of expertise thus far seems to be shaking Huddersfield & ourselves up, cleverly scouting & sourcing cheaper players from abroad and enabling the much sought-after promotion. I can think of plenty of clubs with deep pockets who have surely taken note and might try & see if three times a charm. He alluded to this himself not that long ago that he has big ambitions which don't necessarily include NCFC. His CV looks pretty impressive at this point in time. Hopefully he sticks around for at least one more year.

I think the whole point of this new system is that no one position is designed to be indispensable. If Farke leaves or is poached, Webber is well placed to appoint someone who fits a similar mould; I suspect that he constantly has a list of Farke-esque candidates lined up. Likewise, I suspect the board, with Webber's input, have a list of candidates who could step reasonably seamlessly into Webber's shoes if he leaves or is poached.

They will be here for the Prem (if we confirm our arrival this Saturday) and DF and SW will raise their respective profiles at a new level. I honestly think we have one more year of both at least.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think the whole point of this new system is that no one position is designed to be indispensable. If Farke leaves or is poached, Webber is well placed to appoint someone who fits a similar mould; I suspect that he constantly has a list of Farke-esque candidates lined up. Likewise, I suspect the board, with Webber's input, have a list of candidates who could step reasonably seamlessly into Webber's shoes if he leaves or is poached.

In theory yes, but Webber has done an exceptional job in a short space of time, with Huddersfield and probably even moreso here. Very difficult to replace or repeat/except similar

I do not think it was my imagination but wasn't it once hinted on this forum that, when the day finally arrives and Tom succeeds to the Royal throne, this sceptered club , this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, this treasured plot etc.etc.etc. that perhaps Webber (& Mrs) would be in a position to be offered a major shareholding as well.

Is that some long term plan or is it just wishful/fanciful thinking, that would obviously allay a few fears, for an outcome post Delia. 

This precious stone set in a silver sea, this  (aw shardupp!)

• Haha 1