rock bus

This is why we are top of the league

Expect many will have seen this clip but it really sums up to me why we are top of the league.

yes, we have some wonderful players in the likes of Buendia and Pukki. But what Farke has really brought is passion, togetherness and fight and that’s what’s brought this unexpected success.

He’s shown faith in all the players and backed the younger ones and we are now all benefiting from that.

credit to Ben Godfrey, this is one hell of a recovery run in the 80th minute.

i just love this team!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Exceptional. That is the kind of effort and desire that gets you promotion.  Brilliant - and that kind of spirit goes right through the team, from the front of the team we've seen Pukki charge back and defend too when needed.

Fantastic team fantastic season, just two games more of that kind of effort and spirit and we will be there.

Great recovery from Godfrey but that McLean pass really pissed me off in the game.

Norwich have put a lot of players up and the risk of counter is high, the last thing a player should then do is loft in a really low percentage ball into the box like that. 

I like McLean and haven’t been one of the people saying he should be dropped, but sometimes he’s prone to trying too much when a simple pass would be the better option. This certainly hasn’t been the only example of that from Norwich players in the last 4 games and part of the reason I think they have struggled to get a win. Been a slight vibe of ‘trying too hard’ and trying to force things of late rather than the patient approach that got Norwich to the top of the league in the first place. 

Anyway, great stuff Godfrey. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 3

Yeah saw this, fantastic recovery run and an excellent example of our fitness levels.

I hadn't seen that clip before. As stated; a wonderful example of the attitude and approach that has got us here.

And of the lads talent. He even got stick after the Owls game for not cutting out the ball for their second. Its like some are just waiting for a mistake to nail him to a cross.

He has also been one of the stand outs. 

I know Farke prefers him at the back but I would love to see him in the holding role in midfield, we definite need strengthening there next season in the Premier and he has all the attributes.

Godfrey was my MOTM yesterday. I thought he did brilliantly in the air against some big Stoke players.

I remember seeing this run and we were all cheering for it at mine. It's quite incredible and credit to Farke for recognising the potential of turning him into a proper beast at CB!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

I know Farke prefers him at the back but I would love to see him in the holding role in midfield, we definite need strengthening there next season in the Premier and he has all the attributes.

I tend to think that way, but then some of the glowing reports of Godfrey in the back two, including comparisons with the likes of Ferdinand and Stones, lead me to think that I am wrong.

Let's also not forget Louis Thompson in the defensive mid-fielder role for, despite his injury record, he could finally emerge into the force that was once expected and was he was even more rated than BG, I seem to recall.

• Like 1

Ferdinand is obviously following our Ben as he re-tweeted the video. 

7 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And of the lads talent. He even got stick after the Owls game for not cutting out the ball for their second. Its like some are just waiting for a mistake to nail him to a cross.

He has also been one of the stand outs. 

A centre back getting stick for (a) leaving his man unmarked in the box and (b) misjudging the flight of the cross so he can’t cut it out. Hardly unfair criticism. 

You can have a cracking season and still be at fault for the occasional goal. 

Edited by Aggy

9 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Great recovery from Godfrey but that McLean pass really pissed me off in the game.

Norwich have put a lot of players up and the risk of counter is high, the last thing a player should then do is loft in a really low percentage ball into the box like that. 

I like McLean and haven’t been one of the people saying he should be dropped, but sometimes he’s prone to trying too much when a simple pass would be the better option. This certainly hasn’t been the only example of that from Norwich players in the last 4 games and part of the reason I think they have struggled to get a win. Been a slight vibe of ‘trying too hard’ and trying to force things of late rather than the patient approach that got Norwich to the top of the league in the first place. 

Anyway, great stuff Godfrey. 

I think it was the execution more than anything. Chipped up to the back post would've been fine, but he just made a hash of the cross.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Let's also not forget Louis Thompson in the defensive mid-fielder role for, despite his injury record, he could finally emerge into the force that was once expected and was he was even more rated than BG, I seem to recall.

I think Thompson's race is run here. Even in the Championship next season, I doubt he'd get a look in.

Id also like to see him as DM especially if Trybull is out injured, but he has been a revelation at CB.

Was it Godfrey who was close to tears in pre season after a poor performance in defence? I think Maybe at right back, or have I imagined that? He certainly seems to have an emotional connection to this club.

A centre back getting stick for (a) leaving his man unmarked in the box and (b) misjudging the flight of the cross so he can’t cut it out. Hardly unfair criticism. 

But some are waiting for him to make a mistake so they can scream for Klose to come back in. Many ever look at why the player was able to get a cross in in the first place. Most just ball watch.

If he continually makes mistakes or doesn't contribute then fair enough but he is keeping an international on the bench.

On 23/04/2019 at 16:31, sonyc said:

Ferdinand is obviously following our Ben as he re-tweeted the video. 

He did the same with the murphys,  from memory, was he connected to their agent - if so does Ben have the same link?

11 minutes ago, ZLF said:

He did the same with the murphys,  from memory, was he connected to their agent - if so does Ben have the same link?

Yes, Ferdinand works for the agency both the Murphys and Godfrey are represented by (Chris Wilder is also at the same agency). 

• Like 1

at Wigan..... no one mentioned his brilliant defensive work to close down the shot!!!   Never hand ball even if it hadn't hit his leg...    He's a top player but only 21 with little experience so it's inevitable he will make mistakes.... lately though, the goal at Rotherham and Reading, the pass v QPR, this run at Stoke, ....     What a player. 

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

But some are waiting for him to make a mistake so they can scream for Klose to come back in. Many ever look at why the player was able to get a cross in in the first place. Most just ball watch.

If he continually makes mistakes or doesn't contribute then fair enough but he is keeping an international on the bench.

Well I can’t comment for everyone, and don’t tend to read every thread on here, but have to say I don’t think I’ve seen any posts relating to Godfrey which have been anything more than fair criticism about that goal (or other errors throughout the season - which he has made a couple of) or a general discussion about whether he’s better suited to cb or dm.

Personally I think Klose is a better out and out defender than him (although Godfrey better with the ball) and I think Godfrey might make a better midfielder than centre back. However, he’s undoubtedly had a good season at centre back for us this year, and has got talent. This clip also speaks volumes about his attitude.