Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Referees this season....

.....have been the worst I’ve ever seen. Ironically after a number that went against us probably the most obvious penalty decision you’ve ever seen wasn’t given and we’re nearly up

Agreed, they have been utterly atrocious. Bring on the Prem and VAR

Edited by kick it off

Agreed. Still think we've suffered much more than we've benefitted from refereeing incompetence this season but what a gift that was!

I would say this is the worse season I can remember for quality of refereeing, not just for some of the big/crucial mistakes but especially for the sheer number of really obvious and clear cut things that have either been missed completely or got wrong. There will always be some incidents that are less than clear cut but that so many that should be obvious are not picked up is a problem - I think the fact that linesmen seem to have been relegated to offside monitors is probably partly to blame for this.

Can’t beleive the FA / EFL think their referees need no help in the playoff final. This is a £150 million pound game and if something goes wrong it will be the costliest decision ever.

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Can’t beleive the FA / EFL think their referees need no help in the playoff final. This is a £150 million pound game and if something goes wrong it will be the costliest decision ever.

Begin quite close to the Refereeing world , this sums up the issue. Most of the problems of VAR integration is because Referees haven't embraced THE CONCEPT. As your Grandad would say , to solve a problem first you must admit that you have one, and overall the Refs haven't made any such admission. 

The Referees Association is stuck in the dark ages. Even assessments are not clear - The Prem now use a form of video analysis , but the EPL has a bloke sitting in the stands . 

Ask a football fan what the main issues are? Let's take Diving and Time Wasting. Both  are solvable by retroactive action. Video review a dive , or time wasting and slap a retro ban on a player and watch it stop. 

If the RA wont accept this, then VAR is going to blow them away.  

The refereeing in the Leeds game was honsestly one of the worst performances I have seen from officials.

He failed to award any of three nailed on penalties - and as previously mentioned, the one on Bamford is really about as clear cut as it gets. However Brentford should also have had two, but it would have been a different game if Leeds had gone ahead.

The worst part for me though - was the refs arrogance. Each stonewall penalty he turned down he pulled the most smug 'nah' face you will ever see. 

1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

The refereeing in the Leeds game was honsestly one of the worst performances I have seen from officials.

He failed to award any of three nailed on penalties - and as previously mentioned, the one on Bamford is really about as clear cut as it gets. However Brentford should also have had two, but it would have been a different game if Leeds had gone ahead.

The worst part for me though - was the refs arrogance. Each stonewall penalty he turned down he pulled the most smug 'nah' face you will ever see. 

The ref was trying not to give decisions. Remarkably that's how they get on. By failing to grab the headlines. All three of the Penalties would have been fouls on the half way line. 

• Like 1

I thought the ref in our game was awful as well. Gave us absolutely nothing even when they were cleaning out our players. unfortunately this meant Buendia giving the ball away a few times looking for a free kick he would ordinarily have got  but was denied. 

PS I've not seen any replays but i'm also convinced there was a blatant handball by their defender in the box right at the end of injury time. We would probably have missed the pen though!

Yes the ball hit Shawcross on his right arm as he was trying to clear it. Would have been a harsh penalty though, didn’t look like it was a deliberate move or that he redirected it away from a Norwich attacker or he blocked a ball that was heading towards the goal. 

So on the “ball to hand” and “redirection” and “unnatural position” judgements I think the ref, on this occasion, got it right. Unfortunately 😞

33 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Yes the ball hit Shawcross on his right arm as he was trying to clear it. Would have been a harsh penalty though, didn’t look like it was a deliberate move or that he redirected it away from a Norwich attacker or he blocked a ball that was heading towards the goal. 

So on the “ball to hand” and “redirection” and “unnatural position” judgements I think the ref, on this occasion, got it right. Unfortunately 😞

Not sure I agree. He basically controlled the ball with his arm. It wasn’t ball to hand. Anyway water under the bridge but surprised it basically hasn’t been mentioned/shown anywhere 

Just read that all Championship clubs pay £50,000 per year to help train the select group 2 referees. What a poor return we have had on our investment.

• Haha 1