Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

Has the title chance gone now?

Recommended Posts

No, I'm not a pant wetter or doom merchant, I'm convinced we are promoted, even though it is still mathematically possible for us to miss out. However, was today the day we let the title slip from our grasp? At the moment we are 3 points ahead of Sheffield Utd. with one less goal difference.  I think we can practically guarantee that the Blades will take 3 points off Ipswich next week, and probably widen the gap in goal difference unless we put a hat-full in against Blackburn. Assuming we both win next week, we go into the last game 3 points ahead with an inferior goal difference. We travel to Villa, who are absolutely on fire at the moment, and who will want to send a clear message to the other playoff contenders by turning us over, while Sheffield travel to Stoke, who will probably be safe in mid table and may well be trying out their new flip-flops.

Obviously 4 points from the last 2 games and it's job done..... I'm just not sure we can get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever Villa's stance .. theres no way they'll be 100% at it on the last day with minds and legs on the playoffs.....beat blackburn and we might just see 2 sides playing out a diplomatic draw......Stoke on the other hand, as seen today can play with more of an element of freedom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh dear

Stoke fought hard today, but will not at home to Sheff Utd

Villa will want to win against us to ............................... send a clear message' rather than not risk players that will be needed for two or three very hard games coming up.

Are you from Suffolk by any chance, as you don't sound too bright ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it still up for grabs? Yes. Has it gone? Of course not. An Ipswich draw at Sheff Utd would let us wrap it up on Saturday. If we both win, we just need a point at Villa. They are good, but so were Leeds when we went there and beat them 3-1. Let's just get promotion sorted first, then the boys will be in the mood to show Villa who is top dog in this division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Are you from Suffolk by any chance, as you don't sound too bright ?

No, I'm not from Suffolk, nor do I insult people for simply starting a thread asking a question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we are all but up I think you will see a return to us playing with freedom. The pressure will now be lifted from the players. There were many instances today when we played the safe ball instead of a harder but more potentially rewarding pass. I’m pretty confident we will get the four pints we need. It’s not a certainty that shef u will win both their games, Stoke played very well today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JF said:

Now we are all but up I think you will see a return to us playing with freedom. The pressure will now be lifted from the players. There were many instances today when we played the safe ball instead of a harder but more potentially rewarding pass. I’m pretty confident we will get the four pints we need. It’s not a certainty that shef u will win both their games, Stoke played very well today

Nice to win the damn thing but at the end of the day it's all about finishing in the top two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

No, I'm not from Suffolk, nor do I insult people for simply starting a thread asking a question.

And an extremely stupid one at that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with Stoke is several players now realise they are playing for their futures. They will give Sheff Utd a tough game as they did us, but Utd are a tough nut to beat. We're all assuming Villa away will be a loss but with promotion guaranteed and a sense of freedom we could nick a point or more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The title would be great but promotion only won't disappoint me.

A self financing club with a handful of cheapies, freebies and youthies have set the new model that other Championship clubs ought to adopt.

Beat Blackburn and maybe the Blades might be on the beach by the last game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

No, I'm not a pant wetter or doom merchant, I'm convinced we are promoted, even though it is still mathematically possible for us to miss out. However, was today the day we let the title slip from our grasp? At the moment we are 3 points ahead of Sheffield Utd. with one less goal difference.  I think we can practically guarantee that the Blades will take 3 points off Ipswich next week, and probably widen the gap in goal difference unless we put a hat-full in against Blackburn. Assuming we both win next week, we go into the last game 3 points ahead with an inferior goal difference. We travel to Villa, who are absolutely on fire at the moment, and who will want to send a clear message to the other playoff contenders by turning us over, while Sheffield travel to Stoke, who will probably be safe in mid table and may well be trying out their new flip-flops.

Obviously 4 points from the last 2 games and it's job done..... I'm just not sure we can get them.

 

You cant complain that we didnt beat Stoke, yet in the same sentence suggest Stoke may roll over next week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

The title would be great but promotion only won't disappoint me.

A self financing club with a handful of cheapies, freebies and youthies have set the new model that other Championship clubs ought to adopt.

Beat Blackburn and maybe the Blades might be on the beach by the last game.

err, this guff about being on the beach has been exposed as just that ....guff

Sheff Utd players will be 'bonused' as well as we will (and others) - and that kind of money can have a powerful effect on players - and if there is a chance of the title they will go hell for leather for it

the only 'letting up' might be those already in the play offs witha view to two or possibly three very hard games and potentially a big earner to be achieved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arent we the team that stop other teams unbeaten runs? this season at least. We have fared better against the form teams in the second half of the season, both Blackburn and Villa are on good runs until...........Along come Norwich.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really not sure why so many think that Villa will beat us? There is a reason why we are top of the league and have scored a ridiculous amount of goals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly I don't give a stuff about the title. Its a small glace cherry on top of a very large and tasty cake. After last season to think we'd be one point away from the Prem now is quite extraordinary. Just get the point on Sat and spend the summer in dreamland. First or second means nothing compared to seeing us back in the Prem. DF and the whole squad have been amazing regardless of what happens in these two games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2-3 games back Sheff United were 33/1 to be Champions, wish I'd put a few quid on that now.

It's still in our hands, but we'd have to beat Blackburn and get a point at Villa, and considering we've drawn the last four, that could be tough.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 points or more = title

Less = 2nd

Would be very surprised if Sheffield United don't take 6 points. Ipswich are no hopers and Stoke were poor today, we threw 2 points away. At the end of the day, if they pip us to it, they deserve it and we don't.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering we haven't lost a game since Preston, getting a point at Villa sounds more likely than not. So its down to beating Blackburn? I think with Buendia back, a big crowd behind the team and the pressure off to some extent, we'll take care of Blackburn. 

Besides, Ipswich might surprise us all and get a point at Sheff Utd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBF they would deserve it Splutcho ( saved me the trouble of adding an o, cheers) They've been unstoppable lately, and fair play to them . I also wouldnt be surprised to see us as Champions. Again, deserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Bill said:

And an extremely stupid one at that

Sorry Bill, I was watching EFL on telly. I thought that would be more entertaining than getting embroiled in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Edited by Sooty57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

 

You cant complain that we didnt beat Stoke, yet in the same sentence suggest Stoke may roll over next week 

I don't actually recall complaining that we didn't beat Stoke - indeed I expressed satisfaction that we have almost certainly clinched promotion.  I do though feel that Stoke will be more secure in their mid table position on the last day than they were today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tumbleweed said:

Frankly I don't give a stuff about the title. Its a small glace cherry on top of a very large and tasty cake. After last season to think we'd be one point away from the Prem now is quite extraordinary. Just get the point on Sat and spend the summer in dreamland. First or second means nothing compared to seeing us back in the Prem. DF and the whole squad have been amazing regardless of what happens in these two games.

I do.

If we had been in 3rd and had a late run but failed on the last day I would think 'oh well'

But we have been top for so long now we deserve it.... not entitled to it, as it has to be won

We are three ponts cear with two games to go - it is ours to lose

Which would be a real bloo dy shame if we did now

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it'd be disappointing now of we didn't win the title, however, promotion is a big enough surprise so I'll certainly take that. Would be hard to swallow after 4 draws, but we're still 3 points clear with 6 to play for, we're in the best position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. It's not gone. We need a win and a draw to be sure. 

We are unbeaten in 12 and average 2 points per game for the season.

We are 1/4

Sheff Utd 11/4

If you think our chance has gone fill your boots.🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ideally we'd like WBA to beat Rotherham and Villa to draw at Leeds next weekend. 

That would put Villa 4 points behind WBA and at least 3 points plus GD ahead of 6th place (assuming Derby win their catch up game and also beat Bristol) so no point in trying too hard in their final game. 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×