Sign in to follow this  
Il Pirata

Vrancic and Leitner - To finally start?

Leitner in for the injured Trybull, and Vrancic for the tired Steipermann. 

This should give us fresh impetuous for the remaining two games and hopefully see us wrap up promotion and the title. 

Mclean  Leitner 

Hernandez  Vrancic  Buendia 

Pukki 

I think we can afford to be a bit lighter in middle, and go for high press, fast, fluid football. AKA Farke ball!

Edited by Il Pirata

The last 15 minutes with them in tandem on Monday we were finally in control of the game and stopped giving the ball away. I really hope that if Trybull is injured (which will be a shame) Farke takes the opportunity to play the two of them in tandem. 

Vrancic getting the nod when TT went off would suggest he'll be starting against Blackburn. Going by Farke's previous, that will probably be the only change, although it wouldn't surprise me if Tettey was swapped in for a 'like-for-like' change with Leitner coming on after 70 mins. Although who else gets benched in that scenario? Can't see McLean being dropped while Onel, Marco & Buendia all provide something different for the opposition to think about within the system. I have a feeling that, despite Rovers' recent good form, Saturday's going to be fun with the pressure off!

I don’t understand the thinking behind starting Leitner with McLean or Vrancic with McLean or Vrancic with Leitner. Where’s the defensive midfielder? Leitner likes to come deep to receive the ball but is very much an attack thinking player, does he have the discipline and positional sense to break up play and constantly be thinking about stopping any incoming counter attacks. Deploying him as a DM would restrict his game and (like Friday) play him in a position he’s unsuited and awkward in. Why do that with Tettey available?

With McLean a very attack minded midfielder (so much so I don’t understand why he wasn’t tried in the Buendia position whilst he was suspended, particularly coupled with playing Leitner in that role?!) the gaping holes in midfield would surely tell and give numerous opportunities to Blackburn.

Similar to the Tettey/Trybull combination not working earlier in the season, for the opposite reasons I don’t think any combination of Leitner/Vrancic/McLean at DCM would be effective....in a game we must not lose.

Stick to round pegs in round holes. Tettey for Trybull. Leitner was fantastic in that partnership earlier in the season as he collects the ball deeper than either Vrancic or McLean and that leaves Tettey to concentrate on his strengths of position and interception rather than too much dribbling and passing. Harsh on both Vrancic and McLean but the fantastic partnership Tettey and Leitner built up and that got us to the top of the league was only split up through injury and was a key component to our success early in the season. 

Its by far the best option we have imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

I don’t understand the thinking behind starting Leitner with McLean or Vrancic with McLean or Vrancic with Leitner. Where’s the defensive midfielder? Leitner likes to come deep to receive the ball but is very much an attack thinking player, does he have the discipline and positional sense to break up play and constantly be thinking about stopping any incoming counter attacks. Deploying him as a DM would restrict his game and (like Friday) play him in a position he’s unsuited and awkward in. Why do that with Tettey available?

With McLean a very attack minded midfielder (so much so I don’t understand why he wasn’t tried in the Buendia position whilst he was suspended, particularly coupled with playing Leitner in that role?!) the gaping holes in midfield would surely tell and give numerous opportunities to Blackburn.

Similar to the Tettey/Trybull combination not working earlier in the season, for the opposite reasons I don’t think any combination of Leitner/Vrancic/McLean at DCM would be effective....in a game we must not lose.

Stick to round pegs in round holes. Tettey for Trybull. Leitner was fantastic in that partnership earlier in the season as he collects the ball deeper than either Vrancic or McLean and that leaves Tettey to concentrate on his strengths of position and interception rather than too much dribbling and passing. Harsh on both Vrancic and McLean but the fantastic partnership Tettey and Leitner built up and that got us to the top of the league was only split up through injury and was a key component to our success early in the season. 

Its by far the best option we have imo.

I like Tettey as a defensive midfielder, but do you really think it Is wise to bring him in for such an important game, as he is nowhere near being match fit. There are enough options with the current squad without having to resort to throwing in Tettey who hasn't played a competitive game since the away defeat to Preston in Feb.

There are different ways of protecting the defence. One is to keep possession of the ball. It was clearly the case in the Stoke game that our defence was under far less pressure in the last 15 minutes than at any stage earlier in the second half. you could argue that was because Stoke tired, or you could argue that it was because we stopped giving away the ball so much once we had our better passers on the pitch. Probably a bit of both.

Tough one for Blackburn whether to bring Tettey back or hope a trio of Mclean, Vrancic and Leitner in a 4-3-3 type formation gives us enough control of the midfield to protect the defence. 

From memory, Blackburn roughed us up at their place, Leitner and Buendia suffering knocks, whatever happens Tettey needs to be in and around the place. Who we play alongside him, I've no idea.