Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

We're Up!

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Leeds have to outdo our goal difference by 11 not 10 ie 10 better still means we go up on goals scored. In your scenario you have Leeds winning heavily against Villa or us losing heavily against Blackburn. This is a team ( Leeds ) that people like yourselves said would win their last 4 games while we lost 4 games. Since then they have lost to Wigan - at home and Brentford. They are playing a Villa team on a roll. A Villa team out for revenge for their last minute defeat at Villa Park and the celebrations in the Villa players faces. A Villa still needing a result to be sure of their place. A Villa that may have to face Leeds in the playoffs - they are going to want to set down a marker.

We have not lost 2 consecutive games all season - do you really think that might happen now ? We score 2 goals + nearly every game can’t see that changing against Blackburn.

Doesnt have to be 'heavily'...a combination of 2 results....a 0-2 vs Blackburn...and a 3-0 win to Leeds over an already playoff qualified Villa...

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes, but we want all three.

Doesn't that apply to any game? 46 games are generally needed to sort things out. 

Which raises the idea that maybe everybody should relax and enjoy the last couple of games of an incredible season. Now the pressure on promotion has been relieved so dramatically, I have a feeling that Bolton are in for a shock at the weekend!

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Doesnt have to be 'heavily'...a combination of 2 results....a 0-2 vs Blackburn...and a 3-0 win to Leeds over an already playoff qualified Villa...

Derby and Bristol in theory could still overtake them - sure a 15 goal swing required for the latter  but no more preposterous than what you are suggesting.  So Villa will be wanting to secure their play-off place on Saturday as much as us wanting to pursue the title (there I'm being ever more percy positive).

17 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Derby and Bristol in theory could still overtake them

Nope. Derby play Bristol so they can't both get 9 points.

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Just requested a bet - Norwich to lose by 2 goals or more to Blackburn, Leeds to beat Villa by 3 goals or more it’s 250/1. Norwich have been removed from all promotion betting now except to win the title where we are 1/4. If you think Leeds will hammer Villa why do you think Villa will hammer us ?. If you believe this outcome yourself I think somebody quoted 10000 / 1 in another thread. This is professional football not under 12’s. I am pretty sure that Lamberts career is also a bit on the line here ? Should they get 2 7 - 0 hammerings either he will get the sack or ridicule that even the FA couldn’t ignore.

...because Villa are playing Leeds at Elland Rd....and theyre playing us at Villa Park.......of course none of this should happen...but just  a caution that a 12 goal swing CAN take place over the course of 4 games, we still need to be careful with what we do.

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Just requested a bet - Norwich to lose by 2 goals or more to Blackburn, Leeds to beat Villa by 3 goals or more it’s 250/1. Norwich have been removed from all promotion betting now except to win the title where we are 1/4. If you think Leeds will hammer Villa why do you think Villa will hammer us ?. If you believe this outcome yourself I think somebody quoted 10000 / 1 in another thread. This is professional football not under 12’s. I am pretty sure that Lamberts career is also a bit on the line here ? Should they get 2 7 - 0 hammerings either he will get the sack or ridicule that even the FA couldn’t ignore.

I can understand some people are still nervous and will not rest until its mathematical. The next will be the title they are worried about. Its natural for some.

But I don't think they should spoil it for those of us who are celebrating because we do not need convincing. 

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 1

By the time Leeds play Villa, they'll know if they can overtake us or the Blades.  I don't think we will lose to Blackburn, but if we did, it'd certainly fire up 35,000 Yorkshiremen for their game on Sunday.  Then it'll depend on whether they play like they did v Derby or West Brom, or get beaten like they did v us or Sheff U.  Of course, it'll be like a wake if we get the point(s) we need.

Fortunately bookies are rarely wrong, so their odds are soothing my anxieties.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Woodman said:

By the time Leeds play Villa, they'll know if they can overtake us or the Blades.  I don't think we will lose to Blackburn, but if we did, it'd certainly fire up 35,000 Yorkshiremen for their game on Sunday.  Then it'll depend on whether they play like they did v Derby or West Brom, or get beaten like they did v us or Sheff U.  Of course, it'll be like a wake if we get the point(s) we need.

Fortunately bookies are rarely wrong, so their odds are soothing my anxieties.

Indeed...if we slip up, not only would Leeds know that they would have to win...but win well, if Sheff Utd were to somehow drop points vs Ipswich it would change the picture further still

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Indeed...if we slip up, not only would Leeds know that they would have to win...but win well, if Sheff Utd were to somehow drop points vs Ipswich it would change the picture further still

So many situations still possible. 

This season has been a footballing soap opera. 

...just excersing a little caution...a job still to be done.

We dont all want to turn up in fancy dress and inflatables, taking our eye off the ball and then find ourselves 0-3 down in a game similar to Forest on boxing day

Lets not leave the door ajar to give either Leeds the chance to rack up some goals....or ipswich the chance to let a few in

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can understand some people are still nervous and will not rest until its mathematical. The next will be the title they are worried about. Its natural for some.

But I don't think they should spoil it for those of us who are celebrating because we do not need convincing. 

I just think that those of us that know it isn't done and dusted yet can't understand why people can think otherwise.  The facts are there. We need to get a point against Blackburn to make sure and there is no room for error - lose that match and we give Leeds hope and we do not want to do that!  The match on Saturday is as much a cup final as any of our matches this season. It's not a party until we draw or better still win.

50 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Derby and Bristol in theory could still overtake them - sure a 15 goal swing required for the latter  but no more preposterous than what you are suggesting.  So Villa will be wanting to secure their play-off place on Saturday as much as us wanting to pursue the title (there I'm being ever more percy positive).

Villa have already qualified for the playoffs, Derby or Bristol could catch them - not both

55 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I’ve just priced those scores up for you 615/1....

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

975/1 @ BetVictor

Big difference! I done it quickly on 365

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I just think that those of us that know it isn't done and dusted yet can't understand why people can think otherwise.  The facts are there. We need to get a point against Blackburn to make sure and there is no room for error - lose that match and we give Leeds hope and we do not want to do that!  The match on Saturday is as much a cup final as any of our matches this season. It's not a party until we draw or better still win.

Of course there's room for error. Even if we somehow contrive to lose heavily to Blackburn we still need just 1 point away at Villa, and that's assuming Leeds somehow recover from their malaise to turn Villa over.

I think everyone understands that there is still a very minimal possibility Leeds could turn this around and finish above us, but there's no need to embellish this with factual inaccuracies LDC.

to win the title, Betfred has

Norwich 3/10, Sheff U 5/2, Leeds 300/1

for promotion (automatic and play off winner) it is:

Norwich no odds offered, Sheff U 1/33, Aston Villa 7/4, Leeds 15/8

interesting they think AV are a better bet for promotion than Leeds now

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
remove unwanted comma

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

No Lakey, @Capt. Pants  hasn't been right with his contant catastrophising and carping criticism. It looks like we will be up with points to spare. Of course this is a forum for discussing all things City but that doesn't mean that some posters arn't hopelessly wrong trolls whose opinions are without foundation.

Constant? What are you on about. Right or wrong it's my opinion. Not trolling so wind your neck in. 

It's unlikely Leeds will beat Villa but that's no less unlikely than them losing to a 10 man Wigan. If Leeds were playing anyone other than Ipswich I be 100% sure, but until we get that one more point we are not there yet.

Edited by Capt. Pants

Why are people so adamant Leeds won’t/can’t  beat villa? 

Leeds have been a top three team almost since day one and have put some bloody impressive results in this season. Yes, they have had a couple of dodgy results but it doesn’t make them a bad team. We’ve had 4 indifferent results but we’re still a very very good team.

Leeds have more than enough to beat villa and beat them well, but thankfully so do we. It’ll come down to who can control their nerves and produce the required performance when it matters, as Sheffield united have done. 

No matter what anyone says, we still have a job to do. 

2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Why are people so adamant Leeds won’t/can’t  beat villa? 

Leeds have been a top three team almost since day one and have put some bloody impressive results in this season. Yes, they have had a couple of dodgy results but it doesn’t make them a bad team. We’ve had 4 indifferent results but we’re still a very very good team.

Leeds have more than enough to beat villa and beat them well, but thankfully so do we. It’ll come down to who can control their nerves and produce the required performance when it matters, as Sheffield united have done. 

No matter what anyone says, we still have a job to do. 

I don’t know. Why is everyone so adamant that Villa will beat us? We will go on to seal promotion comfortably and it’s realistically already done

Edited by JF

I’m not being pessimistic Swindon, just in case you were wondering. I’m just itching to celebrate but don’t feel like I fully can until it 100%, and no matter what people say it is definitely not 100%. It’s very strong in our favour but that is all. 

Also, don’t confuse pessimism with concern or worry. I have a little worry going on but I’m still confident in our team and optimistic we’ll finish the job.

come on city, remind the football world on Saturday just how good you are.

We’ve lost 2 games in the last 20 matched and are currently on an unbeaten run of 12 matches. Now all of a sudden apparently not only are we capable of losing 2 matches on the bounce, but we’re going to lose them heavily! This also coinciding with Leeds form miraculously taking a turn for the better and thrashing the divisions current form team and many people’s favourites for the play offs! Yes that all seems highly likely...🤔😂

It doesn’t seem very likely at all JF. I don’t think anybody would disputes that. But, how likely did this sound? Leeds at home to Wigan, Wigan go down to ten men, Leeds go one nil up, Wigan score twice to win!

It isn’t negative or pessimistic to be cautious or worried. I know my worries are largely irrational, however, “unlikely” isn’t good enough for me personally as “mathematical”, however it’s dressed up. That’s all.