Sign in to follow this  
Anderz

Planning for the future...

As regards next season, who from our current squad is truly premiership class? The likely men are: Green, Drury, McVeigh, Holt, Mulryne and Huckerby in my opinion. Doesn''t that leave us a bit thin on the ground as regards quality? I think Jarvis, Hendo and Shackell are the next generation, but even if they play blindingly well next season, that still means we''ve only got about nine Prem-quality players.
Anyone know how good Dean Sinclair is? I only heard about him when he replaced Holt a while back.

ONCE AGAIN EVEN WHEN NORWICH CITY ARE DOING WELL IE--TOP OF LEAGUE 6 POINTS CLEAR,HUCKS SIGNS AND A GREAT BOARD WE STILL HAVE THE MOANERS STILL LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO MOAN ABOUT WAKE UP WE ARE TOP .

It''s great that supporters are already thinking we''re up and come May I hope that''s the situation. However, establishing the team in the Premiership should be regarded as an ongoing process that might include coming straight back down. I don''t think Norwich should spend a fortune if we''re promoted but use the income to put us back on track financially. If we survive one season then great, spend a bit more money but beware, look at Ipswich.

I wouldn''t object to doing a "West Brom" and not spending a lot of money, having fun and coming down....as long as we clear those debts. If we can wipe clear all that debt then we''re in a strong position to continue the club into the next decade...

I think most sensible supporters would agree. Let''s hope promotion and a bit of fun for a year. If we go down but are financially stable we will go up to stay next time. I think we are modelling ourselves on Charlton and look how they are doing!

OK. It''s all fine to discuss the West Broms/Charlton approached to sustained life in the Premiership but let''s go back to the initial question. Hypothetically speaking, if the club do go up, then where would we look to initially strengthen the squad? There''s no question funds will be available. How much...I dunno....maybe a few million pounds? Maybe a bit more? Who knows. But as you go through the squad, there are a few glaring spots where we will need to add some strength. Here''s my stab at it:

-- central defence. need some more cover for fleming/mackay. imagining them going up against henry, beattie, van nistelrooy, mutu, hasselbaink, crespo, owen, anelka, shearer and the rest week in week out is a bit frightening.
-- wide players. henderson is coming along nicely. but he''s not near premiership class as yet. mcveigh is a great little player but i do think at the highest level, his size will hurt him more than it does now. we will need some propping up there. we play well when we utilize our width well -- even if it just to create space through the middle -- and so we may need something there

those are probably our key needs. outside of that, more cover in the centre of midfield and a step up from svennson for a big man up front are good choices too.

while the long-term plan is important, it''s just as crucial for us to build the squad to give us a good chance of survival next term...we''ll never have more goodwill with the coffer-keepers than after gaining promotion and we should take advantage of it.

even though portsmouth are having a rough time of it (due to injuries), i feel that they were the best movers in the offseason getting some great quality players in (berger, sherringham and others). birmingham also did exceedingly well to get some talent their first season up and look how they are moving forward now.

there''s also a possibility that our success at the top will continue and we may pull away from the pack. we''ll look like a great prospect for next season and players will want to come play for us. the ambition shown by the board to put us in this great position now should not be overlooked and that same strategy could keep up in the premiership where we belong.

i''ve been supporting norwich now since 1979. i''ve had to do so from hong kong, philadelphia and now from new york. but i don''t think anything has been this exciting since the glory days of our euro triumph against bayern or even as far back as the great times when the team was: woods, haylock, downs, mcguire, walford, watson, barham, oneill, deehan, bertschin, bennett. i hope that the lads can keep it up and whip the first division and show the premiership boys that the canaries are here to stay.

cheers,

nycanary