Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Squad to share £10 Million if we go up...

Bill Punton was our matchday host yesterday for the hospitality and he reckoned the squad are all on double your money contracts.

If we go up, their wages double. If we come back down then they revert to the same as this season.

Not saying it's true, but he was pretty sure about it.

• Like 1

Either way, it's great to see the club heavily incentivising promotion with a team of fairly unknowns instead of overpaying big names to come here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Bill Punton was our matchday host yesterday for the hospitality and he reckoned the squad are all on double your money contracts.

If we go up, their wages double. If we come back down then they revert to the same as this season.

Not saying it's true, but he was pretty sure about it.

Double? That sounds a touch extreme, but it would depend what the level is this season.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Bill Punton is a legend! He has some great stories. Bet he made a great host!

Aye, I am intending to do a full write up of the day at some point in the next couple of days. Bill was absolutely brilliant though, really top guy and some fantastic stories about playing against George Best, Stanley Matthews etc. He also never left Norfolk even after we sold him - his contract with Sheff Utd, and Scunthorpe after them included a stipulation that he could keep training with Norwich and just turn out for Sheff/Scunthorpe on matchdays as he refused to uproot his young family out of Norfolk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Double? That sounds a touch extreme, but it would depend what the level is this season.

Like I said, not saying it's true, just what I was told.

Average turnover in the Championship is around 25 million, were going to more than double that if we go up.

If we go cheap on their bonuses, they'll want to leave. Double seems fair, especially when you consider that we weren't expected to be in the top 2 at this point. 

4 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Average turnover in the Championship is around 25 million, were going to more than double that if we go up.

If we go cheap on their bonuses, they'll want to leave. Double seems fair, especially when you consider that we weren't expected to be in the top 2 at this point. 

This is supposedly a doubling of wages rather one-off bonuses. As to turnover, it certainly will more than double. It was just over 100m pounds last time in the PL, so it should at least triple and could come close to quadrupling. If we go up...

Probably most players on contracts for lower sums given their relatively low key reputations when they came here. Doubling would probably place them in the same category as most Villa or Derby players now. More than justified in my opinion. They have been stellar this season.

Wonder if this would apply to players like Klose whose wages would be quite high already?

If it is as simple as double then that’s fantastic, it takes out the hassle of weeks of contract discussions, which often can leave some bad feeling and upset. And it’s fair!,

3 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

Probably most players on contracts for lower sums given their relatively low key reputations when they came here. Doubling would probably place them in the same category as most Villa or Derby players now. More than justified in my opinion. They have been stellar this season.

Wonder if this would apply to players like Klose whose wages would be quite high already?

Klose's contract negotiations would be quite interesting, if the players' wages do indeed get doubled/halved after promotion/relegation.   

Assuming he's on around 30k per week, we surely wouldn't offer him 60k p/w, so do you think he would go for 40k, going down to 20k if we got relegated?

Double the squad's wages, 10 million bonus (does that include Webber's bonus?) and 5 million bond scheme repayment... no wonder we'll have to be 'prudent'!

22 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Klose's contract negotiations would be quite interesting, if the players' wages do indeed get doubled/halved after promotion/relegation.   

Assuming he's on around 30k per week, we surely wouldn't offer him 60k p/w, so do you think he would go for 40k, going down to 20k if we got relegated?

Double the squad's wages, 10 million bonus (does that include Webber's bonus?) and 5 million bond scheme repayment... no wonder we'll have to be 'prudent'!

After all the money we squandered on useless signings the last time we were in the premier league I'm very happy to stick with 99% of the current squad.  Prudence is the way to go.

All for payment by results personally, so the bonus is thoroughly deserved. 

I wonder what the average weekly wage currently is (excluding Naismith, Jarvis, Rhodes and Klose as they'll be out of contract)? I'd be guessing at the £5-15k mark depending on the player, so doubling that if we're promoted wouldn't be too onerous relative to t/o. 

This would allow a more generous contract renegotiation with our more prized assets and a few new players in essential positions. All complete guesswork obviously!

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

To be fair, the impact of being in the Premier League on club revenue goes a long way beyond double. 

If the wages do double, Klose wouldn't be in that as my understanding was that Bill meant all players who have signed under Webber. Klose is still on his old contract so presumably he is the exception to this. Tettey's new reduced contract would probably be included though.

Doubt wages would be doubled. Standard clauses are 25% - 40% increase. 

I’d imagine most the players will have significant cash bonuses, but that’s normal. £10m across the players and back room staff isn’t that out of keeping with what teams normally pay-out. 

I seem to remember that McNally got a bonus over £1m individually when Norwich got promoted under him. 

Considering each place higher up the table is worth a considerable amount of money then bonuses are very enticing. Of course they aren't really incentives. When that whistle blows surely thoughts of money dissolve.

And if we are generally sticking with this squad then they will deserve extra  for bringing a lot more wealth to the club.

Although I am not a fan of the Prem, being in it has certainly helped us financially over the years. So maybe a little savings account can be opened for that rainy day.

3 hours ago, Wilson said:

How comes the Telegraph runs this story and not the EDP/Pink Un? 

They will once they see this thread. 😜

• Haha 1

Last year I checked and the bottom Prem club (wba) got just under £100m in TV money. 

Next year I think all the big earners from the previous regime are out of contract. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Webber has been setting contracts which double if we go up but go back down on relegation, it’s a very clean way to set it up and definitely affordable while giving them all a really good incentive, plus it means any clubs that want to try to poach Aarons etc will have to make a very good offer both wages and transfer fee.

in the past the club has said that all players had “relegation clauses” but that would technically be correct even with just a small reduction being triggered by relegation - which I suspect was the case for Naismith etc.

Players deserve it for taking the risk with us.

There is an issue over payment of bonuses, for clubs that aren't "prudent like Norwich under the financial fair play rules.  Paying bonuses could increase the loss incurred and take some clubs over the 3 year loss limit.  Thankfully it shouldn't impact us because of the financial progress under the Webberlution.   If promoted any fine from EFL would be paid out of EPL income, the only issue comes when relegated and restrictions on transfers are imposed, a hypothetical issue only again with us but what of Dirty?

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

They will once they see this thread. 😜

.... annnd boom 💥 

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

If the wages do double, Klose wouldn't be in that as my understanding was that Bill meant all players who have signed under Webber. Klose is still on his old contract so presumably he is the exception to this. Tettey's new reduced contract would probably be included though.

But now that he will be renegotiating with Webber, will he re-sign on similar money that he is on now (approx 30kpw) and risk going down to 15k if we get relegated or will we have to offer him more if SW insists on inserting that clause into his contract?

The players deserve a BIG increase in wages if we make it to the Premiership, but the club must make sure that wages return to manageable if relegation happens.  

Does this work:

£10,000,000 / 46 = 217,400 bonus per league game for whole team

217,400 / 11 = 19,753 per starters make that a little less for subs - 17k per 90 minutes of football you’ve played.

Krul would get a healthy bonus! 800k or something?