54 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Krul

Zim.  Godfrey.  Klose

Aarons.                Lewis

Mac

Emi.          Vrancic.    Hernandes

Pukki

Not much likelihood of this starting XI I feel.

I don't think Leitner did enough to keep his place and was almost anonymous 2nd half, but not surprising given his lack of game time. We need to play with head rather heart against Stoke as we carved out some decent situations against Wednesday only to fail in the final delivery or make the wrong decision. More composure needed. Mario will give us that composure and simply must start. The line-up posted by LDC ticks all the boxes for me.

The problem is the same with each of Todd, Mo and Mario in that they’ve not been getting game time - it’s the double-edged thing of an unchanged side; cameos of 20-30mins are one thing, but putting in a fully match-sharp 90 minutes after being out injured and bench-warming for ages is another.  At least Emi’s rest was short, he should be raring to go.

23 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Don't really get why people would want to drop Stiepermann, he is vital to the way we play, he isn't perfect, but offers a physical approach that other players don't - and he scores goals.  His positioning and awareness is excellent, his composure is good in front of goal and his clever play and his interplay with Pukki is a big part of our success this season.

Krul

Aarons   Zimmermann Godfrey    Lewis

Trybull  Vrancic

Emi     Stiepermann   Hernandez

Pukki

Harsh on Maclean maybe, but Vrancic is fresh and looks well up for it - that goal last night was huge and showed the stature of the kind of player/person he is. 

100% this for me.

also has the benefit of 2 very fresh players in key positions when there has been just 2 days gap between games.

Looks like being very warm in Stoke on Monday. Ball retention critical and make them run around and chase. What we don't want to do is let them score first and have to chase the game.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looks like being very warm in Stoke on Monday. Ball retention critical and make them run around and chase. What we don't want to do is let them score first and have to chase the game.

....the opposite of "can they do it on a cold, rainy night at Stoke" !?!

Emi will come back in and the rest of the team will stay the same as before he was suspended; Farke doesn't like to change things too much.

I agree with most on here that Vrancic deserves a start.

OTBC

What I think will happen is we’ll play the same team as against Sheff Weds but play Leitner in his usual position, Kenny on the left and Hernandez on the right. Have Vrancic on as first sub after 60 mins for Kenny probably. 

However, if it was down to me I’d play Vrancic in the left instead of Kenny.  Kenny, for me gets caught on the ball too much and is too weak in the challenge funny enough is very similar to the criticism of Vrancic and Leitner when they first came and we all know how well they’ve adapted. So I’m not condemning Kenny, he good and will get better.

11 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

What I think will happen is we’ll play the same team as against Sheff Weds but play Leitner in his usual position, Kenny on the left and Hernandez on the right. Have Vrancic on as first sub after 60 mins for Kenny probably. 

However, if it was down to me I’d play Vrancic in the left instead of Kenny.  Kenny, for me gets caught on the ball too much and is too weak in the challenge funny enough is very similar to the criticism of Vrancic and Leitner when they first came and we all know how well they’ve adapted. So I’m not condemning Kenny, he good and will get better.

You don't think Emi will come back in?

On 20/04/2019 at 13:12, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....I'd agree with the impact players on rhe bench....and for that I think we're not utilising McLean to his full potential.

I dont think we get the best from him in his deeper position, where a Leitner or Vrancic should be playing a full 90

He clearly has an eye for a goal and a pass around the box which could be better utilised in an advanced position and a dangerous weapon to bring off the bench on 70 odd mins when others tire.

Agree with this. I'm sure McLean would feel it was harsh because he has certainly played his part but I'd play Leitner, Vrancic and Emi, and have Kenny and Onel (who has looked tired recently) on the bench in case we do need to make an impact in the last quarter.

Also agree, if necessary, that we should do it at around 70 mins rather than 80, 85 or 90! 😃

19 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Agree with this. I'm sure McLean would feel it was harsh because he has certainly played his part but I'd play Leitner, Vrancic and Emi, and have Kenny and Onel (who has looked tired recently) on the bench in case we do need to make an impact in the last quarter.

Also agree, if necessary, that we should do it at around 70 mins rather than 80, 85 or 90! 😃

...indeed, I actually believe McLean could have a bigger impact off the bench , if we were chasing a game than Vrancic (97th min free kicks aside) or Leitner....but we're nullifying that possibility by tireing him out in the midfield battle that he's embroiled in for the first 70+ mins..

On 20/04/2019 at 17:50, baldy09 said:

How about resting Godfrey and putting Klose in, like to see Rhodes start but not sure Leitner is the answer- many fringe players looking rusty due to lack of minutes on the pitch

👍

I’d like to see Vrancic in for Steiperman, EMI in for McLean and Leitner deeper with Trybull. However I think Far,e will simply drop Leitner and bring Emi back

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:39, lake district canary said:

Don't really get why people would want to drop Stiepermann, he is vital to the way we play, he isn't perfect, but offers a physical approach that other players don't - and he scores goals.  His positioning and awareness is excellent, his composure is good in front of goal and his clever play and his interplay with Pukki is a big part of our success this season.

Krul

Aarons   Zimmermann Godfrey    Lewis

Trybull  Vrancic

Emi     Stiepermann   Hernandez

Pukki

Harsh on Maclean maybe, but Vrancic is fresh and looks well up for it - that goal last night was huge and showed the stature of the kind of player/person he is. 

Ditto. As hard as I find it to leave Leitner out, I think Vrancic just edges it. I'd be tempted to leave Hernandez out and push Vrancic forward but the front four were doing so well before Emi was out, so, I'd leave it but make changes before the 80th minute if it isn't working...

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I find it as incredulous that people would dream of leaving Hernandez as others would Steipermann......where on earth would we have any pace in the team or anyone to beat 2 or 3 men?

Onel has had a couple of quiet games by his standards, but I'm sure he'll be back with a flourish, so yeah, dropping him seems mad. And unlikely as it happens, Farke knows what he's capable of.

I thought Leitner corners were pretty average also the Sheffield defenders won virtually every one of them.As much as I welcomed Leitners return to the starting lineup I thought he was the weakest midfielder on display.I know he has been out for some time but would be very tempted to play Vrancic instead at Stoke.Emi must feature surely he gives us that little edge we have been missing.Will be surprised if we don’t get some points off Stoke.

23 minutes ago, clever trevor said:

I thought Leitner corners were pretty average also the Sheffield defenders won virtually every one of them.As much as I welcomed Leitners return to the starting lineup I thought he was the weakest midfielder on display.I know he has been out for some time but would be very tempted to play Vrancic instead at Stoke.Emi must feature surely he gives us that little edge we have been missing.Will be surprised if we don’t get some points off Stoke.

If Leitner is in the team , he has to be central....Vrancic would possibly have been better playing right of the midfield vs Sheff Weds...or even McLean out wide , either left or right with Hernandez on the opposing wing.

A blow to lose Buendia ..but Farke arguably got it wrong on all 3 occasions in attempting to cover that loss....hope we dont pay down the line.

Thinking about this again I suspect Farke might start with the same 11 as against Weds.

Vrancic might get a start in place of Leitner but it wouldn't be like Farke to put Emi straight back in. 

Infact, Emi will now get even more intimidation as he has shown his short fuse and Farke might decide to save him for later in the game. 

I'll take a draw now but anything could happen from Stoke being on the beach to their big time players turning it on as Wednesday's did as it's the leaders. 

Forget all this 'win at Easter' rubbish. It'll take as long as it takes. I expect it will be Blackburn at home. We just need to go to Stoke and earn the right and I don't see Farke tinkering. He trusts his players and will probably stick with them. 

The only other consideration which might affect things, beside fitness, is best formation, square pegs and all that. 

• Like 1

It’s a tricky one - we can all make a case for various permutations,  hope DF makes the right (lucky) call, like he’s done most of the time on the road this season..

Almost feel sorry for Farke coming into this one, looks like the midfield selection dilemma has really come to a head.

For me it will be;

——————————Krul———————————

Aarons—Zimmermann—Godfrey—Lewis—

—————Trybull————McLean——————

—Buendia——Stiepermann——Hernandez

—————————Pukki———————————

Yep.. A bit of a boring choice but I think Farke will opt for the same team that gave us 8 wins in a row before Buendia’s suspension.

I have previously wanted to see McLean dropped (and many others still do) but I actually think he has been getting stronger and stronger in his role, he kept us ticking over really nicely against Sheff Weds and has been making much fewer unforced errors than when he was first introduced. I think the fact McLean was brought into the team after the injuries of both Leitner and Vrancic has really counted against him. Had he been in from the start of the season maybe more fans would see him as a certain starter. The fact that we saw him hold his central position at the expense of Leitner playing the advanced role on Wednesday tells us everything for Farke’s fondness of him at the minute. That said, I was quite surprised at this as I thought McLean’s qualities would serve him much better further forwards than Leitner, who ended up looking pretty uncomfortable on the left. I think we will now see him dropped unfortunately with others in the team making louder noises.  

Yes also very harsh on Vrancic after the goal, but what I would like to see differently to cater for this in tomorrow’s game is earlier substitutions. Vrancic has been getting 15 minutes, if we are chasing the game introduce him on 60 mins not 75 please! Double his time on the pitch and follow it up with a start in the next game if he does well again. 

Hernandez and Stiepermann have definitely not been their usual selves in the last couple of games (Buendia effect?) but they offer something in the advanced positions that I don’t think any of our other midfielders can replicate. They can both count themselves fortunate in not having genuine like-for-like competition because I think they’re looking droppable at the minute. I would not be disappointed if we saw either one dropped to allow Vrancic to come in.

Then Farke would have the same dilemma as with Leitner - who gets the CM spot, McLean or Vrancic? Given McLean was favoured v Leitner, I think it’s fair to say it’d be the same again. 

Maybe something like this; 

——————————Krul———————————

Aarons—Zimmermann—Godfrey—Lewis—

—————Trybull————McLean——————

—Buendia——Stiepermann——Vrancic——

—————————Pukki———————————

I tried the same line up with Stiepermann dropped but I just don’t see it. As inconsistent (polite word) as his form has been of late, he is still so vital and unique to the team.  

I think this will be the first starting line up in several weeks where a few people may actually be a bit surprised or disappointed - such is the number of options in midfield we have now vying for a starting spot.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Not sure I agree about Stiepermann, he played pretty well v Wednesday and I’m pretty sure was motm.

Had an okay first half but pretty awful in the second and on the receiving end of a few bashings from the fans too - kept overrunning the ball and misplacing passes. In fairness to him he is always attempting to pull something difficult off - just needed to keep it more simple really.

Yes he did get MOTM, the crowd reaction to that announcement was not the most supporting though... so make of that what you will. I thought Zimmermann deserved it, made some awesome tackles in the second half and used the ball really well too.

Buendia has to start. Forget the stat, he’s our most creative player and we’ve missed him much more than I thought we would. We’re not a one man team and could easily have won against Reading and Weds but Emi just tips the balance in our favour that bit more.

Id also argue Vrancic has to start....but I don’t think he will.

Would like to see Emi and Vrancic in for Leitner and McLean but think it will just be Buendia in for Leitner, the rest keep their place.

Stoke have got some Premier League players who haven’t turned up this season at all, if they decide to play it could get tricky 

Earlier I felt buendia would come back in and leitner alongside trybull with McLean missing out.

My thoughts were leitners set pieces were better than McLean's and also as team have pressed us he and trybull have not been able to cope as well. In the earlier unbeaten run they had it easier and even though less came through the middle we could play through enough.

Now teams have worked out without leitner or vrancic in that position we struggle to play out.

Now I feel vrancic is an assist machine and pukki, Marco and onel have missed that player in the middle just to direct and have that ball.

Yes harsh on McLean but vrancic is a better player and does not going missing in some games. He is assured and I feel a lot more reassured in our central midfield with vrancic or leitner sitting alongside a trybull or tettey.

But now after vrancics heroics have had a day or two to sink in I find it hard to miss a player who had such an impact. He is assured and clearly in 'range'.

So now I consider vrancic or leitner in the midfield berth. Either one is more astute at playing from the back, or the other in form with those attacking players. Both have massive advantages but so tough to call.

It is clear when we have needed goals against reading, Wigan these two were introduced.

But I think Farke will, and should bring in EMI and move McLean to the bench and leitner in the middle. So harsh on vrancic and I am totally 50:50 on which should start.

It has been a long wait since Good Friday evening

Agree with most of what you say - except Vrancic and Trybull to start. If Vrancic doesn't deserve his shirt back now he never will  - and that would be a very bad position for City. No fault for McLean, Leitner or Todd. This match is frankly all but a must win!