Tricky one, this - Emi is obviously back in line so presumably comes back in. Think I’d go for

Krul

Max   Zimbo/Godfrey    Jamal

Trybull/Leitner

Emi.         Marco.          Onel

Teemu

Mo perhaps wasn’t at his best last night but players sometimes need a game to bed back in - he’d not started in ages; Emi’s enforced absence was shorter so you’d hope he’s champing at the bit.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I think Kenny could consider himself unlucky if he misses out, but then I'd be quite eager to start Vrancic. I'm glad I'm not the manager.

I’m not sure about changes - think several players could do with a rest, one of the problems of having an unchanged XI (Emi apart).  TT was nursing an injury but seemed fine, you might wonder if two games in a little over two days might be a bit much...perhaps Mario will come in for him?

As for Stoke, my mate reckons they’ve been on the beach for a while - all waiting for the big clearout.  We should certainly come away from that game with something.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Would be happy to see Vrancic in for Steiperman who frustrated the hell out of me last night

Don't think Leitner did enough yesterday, and I can't see Farke changing the system.

Emi in for Leitner, Vrancic unfortunate to miss out.

Vrancic should start, the guy oozes class, he is so calm in possession and can pick passes all over the pitch. When he initially started for us, he lacked a little steel, but he learned that part of the game and since then has "owned" the Champs.

I was massively disappointed when he picked up that knock from those bloody scum cloggers, he should have come back despite McClean appearing in the unbeaten run. Don't get me wrong, McClean is a tidy midfielder, but Vrancic is better, and should be playing.

End rant.

(more rant)

The free kicks.......

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Like 3

Slightly controversial , and in no way do I think DF will do this but I would go  with;

Krul

Aarons, Zimmo, Godfrey, Lewis

Trybull

McClean

Emi, Stiepperman, Vrancic

Pukki

Regarding Onel, although it wasn't his worst game last night he was still frustrating, and he just doesn't beat enough players  (he always looks 'busy' ) when one on one, or delivers the correct ball, and he also sometimes goes down blind alleys, and gets dispossessed. Don't take this as trying to create a scapegoat, far from it, just upgrading the performance to another level, but with 3 games to go, I am realistic to know that this is just my opinion, and will not happen. 

Don't really get why people would want to drop Stiepermann, he is vital to the way we play, he isn't perfect, but offers a physical approach that other players don't - and he scores goals.  His positioning and awareness is excellent, his composure is good in front of goal and his clever play and his interplay with Pukki is a big part of our success this season.

Krul

Aarons   Zimmermann Godfrey    Lewis

Trybull  Vrancic

Emi     Stiepermann   Hernandez

Pukki

Harsh on Maclean maybe, but Vrancic is fresh and looks well up for it - that goal last night was huge and showed the stature of the kind of player/person he is. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Don't really get why people would want to drop Stiepermann, he is vital to the way we play, he isn't perfect, but offers a physical approach that other players don't - and he scores goals.  His positioning and awareness is excellent, his composure is good in front of goal and his clever play and his interplay with Pukki is a big part of our success this season.

Krul

Trybull  Vrancic

Pukki

Harsh on Maclean maybe, but Vrancic is fresh and looks well up for it - that goal last night was huge and showed the stature of the kind of player/person he is. 

This is what I'd pick too. McLean is fine but doesn't have the vision of Vrancic or the tenacity of Emi so has to drop out.

Yep, I'd go with Lakey's team too. Harsh on McLean, because I thought he had a better game than Stiepi or Onel last night. But Onel and Marco have more unique 'weapons' that no one else in the squad can replicate.

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Krul

Trybull  Vrancic

Pukki

Looks good to me Lakey, although I thought Trybull was slightly off it yesterday, but then again a few were, we looked somewhat jaded and a tad nervous at times.

I think something the last couple of games have highlighted is our lack of 'impact' options off the bench outside of Vrancic at the moment. We don't have that player we can turn to to give a team something different to think about, whether in terms of pace running at tired legs or a striker who can put himself about a bit to **** off central defenders run ragged by Pukki.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think something the last couple of games have highlighted is our lack of 'impact' options off the bench outside of Vrancic at the moment. We don't have that player we can turn to to give a team something different to think about, whether in terms of pace running at tired legs or a striker who can put himself about a bit to **** off central defenders run ragged by Pukki.

Considering the squad we have, it's been heartening to see that we have options at all KC, but yes, we did seem to lack that "impact" player. But had Rhodes been available, he would have been the guy.

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

Considering the squad we have, it's been heartening to see that we have options at all KC, but yes, we did seem to lack that "impact" player. But had Rhodes been available, he would have been the guy.

I don't really see him as a big impact player tbh. Srebeny didn't do anything last night either, I'd love someone like we had with Simeon Jackson who could come on for 20 minutes and make defenders worry.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Krul

Trybull  Vrancic

Pukki

I'm with this team. Really harsh on McLean but Vrancic deserves a start. However please no more round pegs in square holes. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

....I'd agree with the impact players on rhe bench....and for that I think we're not utilising McLean to his full potential.

I dont think we get the best from him in his deeper position, where a Leitner or Vrancic should be playing a full 90

He clearly has an eye for a goal and a pass around the box which could be better utilised in an advanced position and a dangerous weapon to bring off the bench on 70 odd mins when others tire.

Krul

Aaron's, zimbo, Godfrey, Lewis

Tybull, leitner

Buendia, Marco, onel

Pukki

Now I want vrancic in the team but there are two things yesterday that have been apparent.

Our set piece delivery has been woeful apart from zimbos goals at Millwall and reading. However last night leitners delivery was always in the danger area. It was a massive upgrade on the other takers. We needed to attack that delivery.

Secondly our play out of the back is being tested with players under pressure, our best player moving the ball out of this scenario is leitner. So for me McLean moves back to the bench.

At the start of the season mario would come off the bench and change the game with assists galore and a change in tempo. Last night he was the only player I wanted taking that 95th minute free kick. If he had had Marco's earlier and possibly a few others in dangerous areas he may have had more success.

Mario needs to play but with our system we cannot take too many changes and buendia does walk back in. No question.

But can you keep him out as the goal scorer, if he plays instead of leitner you still get a player that played in this team and was phenomenal.

Farke has a tough choice but for the reasons above I feel Leitner needs to be in McKean's role, as it all starts from the back. Then Buendia showing why he is elite and lifting pressure off Marco and onel to play with more freedom and put the 'right' balls through to Pukki

Gjl I agree with your comments about McLean. He has looked better when pushed wider and further forward with a more sure hand protecting the team and pulling the strings.

Simply Vrancic must be full of confidence and rearing to go following his Friday might special. McLean to make way. Emi back in his berth.

Same team as destroyed Leeds please.

Once we are three up rest or rotate key players.😊

• Like 3

It will be interesting to hear if anyone picked up any knocks; seems most fancy Mario ahead of Mo - I’d still go with Mo and have Mario off the bench. 

Harsh on Vrancic but I'd start Leitner in McLean's position too. I'd be tempted to really roll the dice and put Vrancic further up in place of Stiepermann. We'd lose some ball winning ability up the field but what good is winning the ball if you're struggling to do a great deal with it? I can't see him taking such a risk but I'd be intruiged to see how it'd work.

If he was going to drop Onel then it would've been on the back of his poor showings v Reading and Wigan. He was much improved last night so should keep his place. 

How about resting Godfrey and putting Klose in, like to see Rhodes start but not sure Leitner is the answer- many fringe players looking rusty due to lack of minutes on the pitch

Really?! Leitner's corners were on the money, every one of them into the mixer, not the normal headed away by the first man dished up by Kenny or Marco. 

That they were all headed away was a fault of the players in the box and a credit to Sheff Weds defence, nowt up with the deliveries. They were a huuuuge upgrade on normal service. 

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Really?! Leitner's corners were on the money, every one of them into the mixer, not the normal headed away by the first man dished up by Kenny or Marco. 

That they were all headed away was a fault of the players in the box and a credit to Sheff Weds defence, nowt up with the deliveries. They were a huuuuge upgrade on normal service. 

Disagree. They were all very floaty, lack of any whip or pace on them so very easy to defend even if they were in the right sort of area.

Krul

Zim.  Godfrey.  Klose

Aarons.                Lewis

Mac

Emi.          Vrancic.    Hernandes

Pukki