Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Need VAR to counter the Eltringham's of this world

20 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

I can't accept that, it's their job to get the crucial decisions right. Perhaps I might suggest getting into a position where you can see things in the penalty area - after all thats where the critical action is. The keeper should have walked, he knew he was outside the area, it was a deliberate handball. And, just to make matters worse he could have got another yellow two or three times over for the timewasting. The one thing I can't understand is why at this level the Refs turn their backs to the keepers. It always used to be stated 'keep the ball in view at all times'. There were several incidents where players were clearly fouled yet nothing was given. I have to conclude this guy looked terribly unfit, his positoning was dreadful and his decision making was even worse - far more yellows should have been shown tonight.

To see the ball sandwiched between keeper and striker virtually on the goal line, the ref would have to have been in the six yard box. Had he been stood there when the cross came in, he’d have caused all sorts of mayhem. He can’t be in a position to see everything at the same time as not interfering. 

The keeper handling it wouldn’t have been any different had VAR been available.

As for turning their backs, largely agreed although they’re probably trying to get up the field quicker - running backwards is slower than forwards and if the keeper is about to hoof it to the halfway line, the ref needs to get up there quick.

Mr Eltringham is certainly something else as a ref. As has already been pointed out two of his classics this season. One of his previous involving us was when Oliveira was dragged down in the box at Rotherham, retaliated & was rightly sent off. But hapless Geoff forgot the original foul so no penalty. I know it's a difficult job but some of those who get promotion to the top two leagues makes you wonder about who is judging them

Fat Brucey seems to also think that the ref. had a bad game.

Eh ?

1 minute ago, K Lo said:

Fat Brucey seems to also think that the ref. had a bad game.

Eh ?

Bruce was complaining the ref added too much time on, helpfully ignoring the time added on was caused by their keeper's time wasting (for which he should have received a 2nd yellow). He also didn't mention the handball goal, the original yellow for the keeper handling outside the box or the fact that their players managed to avoid numerous yellow cards for cynical shirt pulls.