Sign in to follow this  
CanaryChris

Vrancic

Bit disappointed with Mo tonight. Too easily knocked off the ball - as he was when he first played. He needs game time to get used to the physicality of the Champs. again.

But he's a class act. Will be well suited to the Prem.

Leitner did not have the influence he had when playing deeper and more central. He made many mistakes in his passing and a couple of wayward shots. This is to be expected having not played for a while, to quote Farke, rhythm etc.

Farke got it wrong AGAIN tonight.  No wonder he stayed in his seat when Vrancic scored.  Leitner was played out of position.  If he had replaced Trybull and Vrancic had replaced McLean it would be cigars all round tonight, and I think Farke knows it.  No more f@ck ups now Daniel.  11 best to start, not last 11 starters!

30 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

What did Leitner do wrong?

He was okay, but nothing more. Like Cantwell against Reading and Wigan it was a  6/10 performance. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

He was okay, but nothing more. Like Cantwell against Reading and Wigan it was a  6/10 performance. 

Leitner was out of position.  He should have played where he plays best and McLean should not have started.  Vrancic should have been in middle of park.  

I appreciate others may differ but I have had to put up with a pub full of Wendy's and I'm so frustrated that Farke picked the wrong team.  Hate Wendy's!

To suggest dropping Stiepermann would equally suggest a complete inability to realise how integral he is to this playing setup. No way is he being dropped for Monday.

Leitner struggled just as, if not more than Cantwell today- but everyone has been begging for that change.

• Like 3

I like Leitner but thought tonight he was poor and the game sort of passed him by. A shame as I think he has a lot to offer. Vrancic looked classy again from the moment he came on. Really strange we haven't got him in from the start. For Stoke it has to be him and Emi in, McLean (willing today but limited in vision and creativity) and Mo out. Our problems were in midfield tonight, slow and at times ponderous with few good out options. Awful ref but we didn't help ourselves. A bit jittery.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To suggest dropping Stiepermann would equally suggest a complete inability to realise how integral he is to this playing setup. No way is he being dropped for Monday.

Leitner struggled just as, if not more than Cantwell today- but everyone has been begging for that change.

Not suggesting Steipi should be replaced - brings far too much unpredictability.  Leitner was played in wrong position as probably Cantwell before.  Its McLean who has been having a ride at their expense.  I don't get it!  He's good but we have better!  C'mon Daniel, sort it out.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think anyone begged for Leitner to play directly in the same position as Buendia?

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Agreed 100% ref Stiepermann. H is integral to our games and does a lot of the dirty work.

However Mo Leitner in one of those players who perhaps had a 7 out of 10 tonight but you can guarantee virtually he will improve game on game. 

That said, I would love to see Emi and Vrancic start on Monday

Fans need to get their Leitner blinkers off!

Hes slow, a poor tackler and his passing and corners were largely ineffective!

Fair enough he's not had much game time lately but hes far to lightweight.

Way, way over rated player who on top of all the above gets injured a lot so I don't think hes no where near as effective as many make out!

Vrancic should have started the last 3 games! 

And yes I'll agree that Steipermans decision making was poor tonight but his best quality is the physicality, linking midfield to attack and driving forward making things happen.

Vrancic and Buendia must come in for Leitner and Maclean on Monday!

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'd start Vrancic and Emi over Leitner and McLean based on tonight. 

We had round pegs in square holes tonight. And it noticed. Whatever else happens on Monday the front four have to be Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez and Pukki.

One of Trybull and Tettey. One of Leitner, McLean and Vrancic.

Leitner was most effective with Tettey. But Trybull if fit is match fit so him with Vrancic or McLean for me.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

Had a right result. Supposed to have a photo with man of the match on the pitch after game as part of match ball sponsor package. Stiepermann walked off so they just roped Vrancic in to have a photo with us. Absolutely top man. Will post a pic when I get to my laptop tomorrow as phone posting pics doesn’t work On here.

Edited by kick it off

6 hours ago, kingsway said:

Way, way over rated player who on top of all the above gets injured a lot so I don't think hes no where near as effective as many make out!

You clearly didn’t watch any of the games Leitner played in earlier in the season. If you had you wouldn’t write this nonsense.

Was actually impressed with how much better the corners were to recent games.

Was an awkward performance from Mo last night but i think that was mainly due to being played in the wrong position. Was a weird selection as he’s never played there before for us and is simply not that attacking a player. Assumed McLean would’ve been moved forward and Leitner in his usual deep lying playmaker role.

Thought McLean was decent and will be harsh to drop him but how do we not have Vrancic in the side now? Excels whenever he plays and should be starting on Monday.....

Krul

Aarons  Zimmerman  Godfrey  Lewis

Trybull  Vrancic

Buendia (yay!)  Stiepermann  Hernandez

pukki 

Harsh on Leitner as wasn’t in the correct position to influence the game and show what he brings to the team and very harsh on McLean who didn’t do much wrong but Vrancic and obviously Buendia have to start

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

We had round pegs in square holes tonight. And it noticed. Whatever else happens on Monday the front four have to be Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez and Pukki.

One of Trybull and Tettey. One of Leitner, McLean and Vrancic.

Leitner was most effective with Tettey. But Trybull if fit is match fit so him with Vrancic or McLean for me.

100% agree with that, the front four has to be this. And I'd start Vrancic next to Trybull on Monday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

You clearly didn’t watch any of the games Leitner played in earlier in the season. If you had you wouldn’t write this nonsense.

Was actually impressed with how much better the corners were to recent games.

Was an awkward performance from Mo last night but i think that was mainly due to being played in the wrong position. Was a weird selection as he’s never played there before for us and is simply not that attacking a player. Assumed McLean would’ve been moved forward and Leitner in his usual deep lying playmaker role.

Thought McLean was decent and will be harsh to drop him but how do we not have Vrancic in the side now? Excels whenever he plays and should be starting on Monday.....

Krul

Aarons  Zimmerman  Godfrey  Lewis

Trybull  Vrancic

Buendia (yay!)  Stiepermann  Hernandez

pukki 

Harsh on Leitner as wasn’t in the correct position to influence the game and show what he brings to the team and very harsh on McLean who didn’t do much wrong but Vrancic and obviously Buendia have to start

I've watched most games thank you very much and Leitner did a job early on but I'm just stating fact.

Like you say it didn't help playing Leitner out of position last night and his lack of game time in recent months was probably a big factor as well!

Leitner was poor last night and was a contributory factor in Sheffield Wednesday outplaying for most of the game.

You say his corners were good!!! - Get real, he couldn't get the ball past the big Wednesday defenders in quite a few of them and the ones that did were put in without any pace which made them easier to defend!

To me he played no better than what Cantwell did who took some stick over the last week!

I've no doubt Leitner can knock the ball about wonderfully but his lightweight tendancies of being slow and not getting stuck in makes him a very average player who against physical, pacey teams like Wednesday is largely ineffective!

Leitner also spends a lot of time out injured another element which lessens his potential massively!

Leitner is in reality a bit part player which is probably why hes playing for Norwich instead of a Bundesliga club. Don't get all this Leitners gods gift stuff that many fans seem to have about him cause that isn't the reality!

I think Leitner is one of our best, and will be crucial should we make the Prem.   But last night proved he can't play in Emi's position.    It was striking how much better he looked when Vrancic came on and we switched to 3-5-2, and he was able to go and play in his natural "quarterback"position, central, taking the ball of the back players.

Vrancic too is class and could equally be crucial in the Prem.  Farke's jobs for the Summer include working out how to play Mo and Mario together.  A diamond, maybe, with a holding player behind, the two of them side by side, and Stiepers / Kenny up top, and Emi off Pukki up front, with Onel to come on if we need more width?

But that's for the Summer.   We need to get over the line now, and I suspect that means sticking with 4-2-3-1, and that in turn means there's only room for one of Mo / Mario / Kenny next to Trybull / Tettey.   On the last couple of games you'd have to go for Mario.

10 hours ago, kingsway said:

Wouldn't go that far. Definitely off the boil last night, but massively important for us in the first half of the season.

Edited by splutcho

3 minutes ago, kingsway said:

I've watched most games thank you very much and Leitner did a job early on but I'm just stating fact.

Like you say it didn't help playing Leitner out of position last night and his lack of game time in recent months was probably a big factor as well!

Leitner was poor last night and was a contributory factor in Sheffield Wednesday outplaying for most of the game.

You say his corners were good!!! - Get real, he couldn't get the ball past the big Wednesday defenders in quite a few of them and the ones that did were put in without any pace which made them easier to defend!

To me he played no better than what Cantwell did who took some stick over the last week!

I've no doubt Leitner can knock the ball about wonderfully but his lightweight tendancies of being slow and not getting stuck in makes him a very average player who against physical, pacey teams like Wednesday is largely ineffective!

Leitner also spends a lot of time out injured another element which lessens his potential massively!

Leitner is in reality a bit part player which is probably why hes playing for Norwich instead of a Bundesliga club. Don't get all this Leitners gods gift stuff that many fans seem to have about him cause that isn't the reality!

Leitner did not have his best game last night that's for sure and he is one of the players who it will be interesting to watch how he adapts to the Premership.

However, when he is on his game he controls this team and simply purrs along like a classic car. He was placed last night into a pressure cooker game having very little game time before this. 

He makes the simple passes and makes our play tick over. Love watching him play

Vrancic just has to start v Stoke and i have a hunch that Emi will be on the bench. Mario injects class and a degree of more urgency when he is on the pitch as has been evident these last few games.

Hes a useful addition to the squad especially when fit, playing in the right position (in front of the back 4 alongside a defensive midfielder) and against less physical opposition. I think he'd be more effective in the Premiership but hes not the best thing since sliced bread as many make out! 

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Vrancic just has to start v Stoke and i have a hunch that Emi will be on the bench. Mario injects class and a degree of more urgency when he is on the pitch as has been evident these last few games.

Vrancic should have been a straight swap for Buendia from the Reading game onwards!

9 minutes ago, kingsway said:

‘Did a job’ early on??? 

You then actually explain all there is to know in the next sentence. Played out of position and lack of match practice.

The Moritz Leitner pre Xmas will be essential in the prem (if we get there), let’s just wait and see....

6 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

‘Did a job’ early on??? 

You then actually explain all there is to know in the next sentence. Played out of position and lack of match practice.

The Moritz Leitner pre Xmas will be essential in the prem (if we get there), let’s just wait and see....

Just don't get all this Leitner love in from fans who make out he's something like Martin Peters!!

I agree that Leitner in the right position would likely be more effective in the top flight!

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think Hernandez has to be sacrificed to make way for EMI, to come on late in the game against tiring defenders if needs be. We need EMI to start

22 minutes ago, kingsway said:

I think you need to work on your understanding of 'fact' and 'opinion.'

• Like 2