Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Jordan Rhodes

Am I reading this correctly here?

It would appear we are interested (perhaps waiting on seeing which league we are in next season - sensible) and that if we want him, we can have him, possibly due to Sheff Wed not wanting his wages. Not earth shattering news perhaps, but interested to get a Wednesday perspective

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-jordan-rhodes-talks-planned-reveals-sheffield-wednesday-steve-bruce-1-6005623

Oh, and he's not eligible for this evening's game, so would Idah come on the bench?

Edited by Crabbycanary3

“We will have a conversation with Norwich over the next week or so, two weeks, and see where the situation lies,”

They're probably hoping we do sign him, not sure it says anything about Norwich wanting him though.

Doubt Idah will be on the bench, it'll just mean we sub on Srbeny at 92 mins instead of Rhodes.

Really do hope he sign for the club -For what I have read and heard He is a good presence around the team and he very committed when required -and surely even if we do sign another forward he be a good member of the team all can rely on

It just seemed like we will make the call, as opposed to Wednesday saying he's our player and we want him back (Liked the quote about JR being their 7th striker if he went back to them - if he's a promoted team's 2nd choice but he wouldn't make Wednesday's starting X1 that also says something)

If Teemu gets injured after 10 minutes tonight, then that would limit our options. A big call to put the kid on in such a game, but DF seems to like 2 C'Fs on the bench.

Problem if we get to the PL is that we may need better than Jordan - great guy that he is, I reckon he’d only be back-up to back-up at that level and thee might be better (+ cheaper) options.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Problem if we get to the PL is that we may need better than Jordan - great guy that he is, I reckon he’d only be back-up to back-up at that level and thee might be better (+ cheaper) options.

No may about it.

He's a nice guy but has at best been an ok backup for us at this level, he's just not a Premier League player.

I would jump at the chance of buying Jordan from Wednesday if it came up, he seems to love being here, has done a decent job when the chances have been there for him. A combo of Pukki and Rhodes is a good start but we will likely need a 3rd striker anyway and i dont know if Denis is as good as Jordan  for the Prem. For sure Carlton Morris would likely need to be loaned out at the very least if we went up.

Maybe if WBA dont go up we could do worse than sniff around Tyneside and ask about Dwight? I would think a trio of Pukki, Rhodes and Gayle would be a recipe for a few goals at the least, even in the Prem.

I think he's got some of the attributes necessary to score a few goals in the EPL, & he does fit into the squad superbly. Whether or not a deal could be done to make it worth both his & our needs is the question.

PS it's a shame he missed that chance against Reading. Would have boosted his stock considerably.

Edited by ron obvious

Calling him at best a backup to us this season is a little harsh. He's only been backup due to the league's best player (officially). 6 goals in 9 starts and a bucket load of appearances of only a few minutes is a decent return. 

In a parallel universe where Pukki gets injured eay doors, I think Rhodes steps and has a 20+ goal season as the starting striker and we'd still be in the hunt for promotion (though not quite as well positioned as we currently are). 

If he's happy coming off the bench or filling in for Pukki when injured I'd have him hear, if only for his contribution to the dressing room. When we went up in 2004 we missed Iwan and Malky's presence, even if they'd only have featured half a dozen of times.

Presumably he'd command a fee and the wages would be relatively high. Not sure he fits the current player acquisition profile even if we make it to the Prem, and he's not proven there. 

I think Webber and Farke would have hotter irons in the fire. 

Price would have to be right for sure but sounds like Sheff Wed just want his wages gone. There's no way will we be in the market for a "proven" Premier League striker, they're North of 20 mil and Webber has said we won't spend 15, so whoever we get in to support Pukki will be a risk.

Only if the fee is low, I'd be up for getting him in and reassessing in January. We've got Idah knocking at the door too. 

Wouldn't underestimate the value of a presence like Rhodes. He is sn excellent back up at this level and while may not be quite at prem league level how good is it to have a player capable of nicking a goal with his fresh legs and most importantly isn't a destabilizing entity demanding starts (**cough***Oliviera***cough**), but in fact (by all reports) a great influence in the change rooms. That is his value.

The sticking point will be the fee as I reckon Wednesday will want 8-10 million for him. I think he knows the wage structures here and if he loves it here as much as he reportedly does that can be negotiated.

I'd run a mile at that price to be honest but I'd be happy if we could bag him for 3-4, but maybe I'm being too optimistic. I've heard he's settled in Thorpe with his young family. Someone even told me he's bought a house here.

I'm only guessing at the price but read online that is what they're asking for Forrestieri. Rhodes is better than him in my opinion so I would think they would seek at least that.

1 hour ago, CanaryChris said:

I'm only guessing at the price but read online that is what they're asking for Forrestieri. Rhodes is better than him in my opinion so I would think they would seek at least that.

I suppose it depends on (1) how desperately they want to get rid of his wages and (2) whether anyone is going to be willing to pay more than 3-4 million for a striker who will likely want fairly high wages and hasn’t had a great season for four or five years. 

£3 million plus cutting the wage bill significantly (couple of million a year?) vs no transfer fee and shelling out on his wages.

Swap deal for Oliveira?

Worth remembering Rhodes hasn't hit double figures in the Championship since 15/16 and has no Premier League goals. Investing a fee and wages in a 29 year old with little re-sale value simply because he seems a good guy doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Worth remembering Rhodes hasn't hit double figures in the Championship since 15/16 and has no Premier League goals. Investing a fee and wages in a 29 year old with little re-sale value simply because he seems a good guy doesn't make sense to me.

Hard to argue with that KC, pretty sure Webber will see it that way as well.

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

Hard to argue with that KC, pretty sure Webber will see it that way as well.

I think he will. I'm confident in our scouts ability to find other good influences to add to the dressing room once Rhodes leaves.

Anyone else notice that Leo Vegas were giving odds on Rhodes for last nights match?

Come on LV, that's poor.

Just now, Daz Sparks said:

Anyone else notice that Leo Vegas were giving odds on Rhodes for last nights match?

Come on LV, that's poor.

They are a pretty ****ty organisation by all accounts and I'll be delighted when they stop sullying our shirts.

12 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

I thought Rhodes was completely anonymous last night 

Buendia didn't have his best game either.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Agree with that kc, unfortunately I'm out of likes........ again 😬

4 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

So am I. What is the deal with the likes?

11 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Gimme those sweet sweet likes...