Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Tettey in for Trybull on Friday night?

Seems like Trybull is 50/50 for Friday night.

If Trybull doesn't make it should we do a straight swap for Tettey or be a bit more adventurous and bring in one of Leitner or Vrancic? 

Been a long time since Tettey played - at least Vrancic and Leitner have had some minutes in the last couple of games. 

I think I would go for Leitner simply because Tettey hasn;t played at all and we need someone in that sort of quarterback role. He may feel he needs to adapt the line up a bit and play both Leitner and Vrancic with Mclean further forward if Trybull is not available. 

Need to win if even to keep confidence of supporters high. Do not need the lack of creativity of AT, must be Leitner must go for it.

Tettey for me. If Leitner plays put him beside Tettey. They were awesome earlier in the season. Todd, stieps and Onel with Pukki.

As much as I think Leitner is fantastic, it has to be Tettey. Going two CM's of Leitner, Vrancic or McLean does not provide enough defensive stability.

• Like 1

I wonder how long it will be before people realise how good a player Leitner really is. Cannot his control of games and his performances early season be remembered? It might have to be on the bigger stage next season before people appreciate his qualities.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I wonder how long it will be before people realise how good a player Leitner really is. Cannot his control of games and his performances early season be remembered? It might have to be on the bigger stage next season before people appreciate his qualities.

Agree completely. Our best player IMO, and due a start. If Cantwell plays ahead of him or Vrancic tomorrow I'm going to bang my head against a brick wall, and then give it my full support! 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Agree completely. Our best player IMO, and due a start. If Cantwell plays ahead of him or Vrancic tomorrow I'm going to bang my head against a brick wall, and then give it my full support! 

Leitner is one of the classiest players we've had for years, trouble is , when he was out, we just kept on winning. Feel for him, as we were doing well enough with him. Tough to take for him I'm sure.

Can't help thinking TT's injury has made things easy for Farke.  The side may well look very different if he was fit to the one he now puts out.

Tettey every time. Leitner and Vrancic are great but you need a bit of discipline and steel in there to allow the more creative players to do their thing.

I rate Tettey very highly, always have, but he is, especially now that he is somewhat older, not in the same class as Leitner.

There are very few, if any, better players in the Championship? Is he the only one to be involved in a Champions League final?

I don't think anyone is underestimating Leitner. He is (as I've said a few times) my favourite player, but how could you justify bringing him in when we were relentlessly winning? Now is a different matter and I'd get him or Vrancic (both if at all possible - without sacrificing Tettey or Trybull) in the team as soon as possible.

31 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I rate Tettey very highly, always have, but he is, especially now that he is somewhat older, not in the same class as Leitner.

There are very few, if any, better players in the Championship? Is he the only one to be involved in a Champions League final?

It isn't about being in the same class as Leitner, it is about them playing totally different roles and bringing very different skillsets to the table.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I can think of a Championship manager who was involved in a Champions League Final.

Oh, sorry, make that a League 1 manager...🤭

• Haha 1

Sense this may herald or give an opportunity for a more significant change.

Tettey and Leitner at the back. Vrancic possibly too.

There is no doubt that Leitner & Vrancic are two of our most gifted players. I think they will shine in the Premiership.

However, it doesn't mean they are the best fit for our team, now, today,when it comes to winning on Friday.

I think all our players are more than capable of overcoming any opposition in this league. It's how the overall team dynamic works, & this doesn't necessarily mean just shoving your best players in any old how. Farke sees the bigger picture. His results this season have been astonishing. I will trust his judgement on any team he cares to select.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

It's how the overall team dynamic works, & this doesn't necessarily mean just shoving your best players in any old how.

Agreed. Best illustrated below.

Scholes - Gerrard - Lampard - A.N Other. Exceptional players - sh*t midfield.

IMO Leitner is our best player.   He could be even more important in the Prem, should we get there.   And I'm worried that if he doesn't get game time soon, he'll want to be off:  it's absurd that someone who was thought of as future German Nationalmannschaft player can't get into our team.   Really want to see him play.

But that doesn't mean we go without a defensive midfielder.   One of Trybull and Tettey has to play.