With Buendia’s suspension almost at an end the red card situation has me bemused. How Egan can only be suspended for 1 game for (in my eyes) a blatant form of cheating with handling on the line. On any other day Sheff Utd could have held on and picked up the additional 2pts. 

How his punishment is deemed less so than a tackle is anyone’s guess. 

I think it is fundamentally about the potential damage to another player. Egan handling the ball is cheating but can't hurt another player. In theory Buendia could have hurt the opposition player with that tackle.

Because one was judged to have committed unsportsmanlike conduct and the other judged to have committed dangerous play. 

Yes, but the player involved was called Tyrone Mings, and somebody has to feel sorry for a fellow with a name like that....

Reckon that if a ball is deemed "goal tending" (basketball term) and is illegally handled by an opposition player that a goal rather than penalty is awarded. 

The one that gets me is that if a striker handles the ball deliberately to score a goal it's only usually a yellow. This act is to me no different than the defender using their arm/hand to prevent a goal so why the descrepancy there?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CanaryChris said:

Reckon that if a ball is deemed "goal tending" (basketball term) and is illegally handled by an opposition player that a goal rather than penalty is awarded. 

The one that gets me is that if a striker handles the ball deliberately to score a goal it's only usually a yellow. This act is to me no different than the defender using their arm/hand to prevent a goal so why the descrepancy there?

Absolutely agree with all of this CanaryChris. 

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Because one was judged to have committed unsportsmanlike conduct and the other judged to have committed dangerous play. 

This,  once the incident is judged as dangerous play, it's 3 games, end of.