Drazen Muzinic

They'd be better offering a buy one, get one free deal

To be fair, that's a pretty clever marketing strategy.

"In addition to the reduction in prices, all supporters who buy a season ticket before the first day of the 2019/20 season will have their ticket frozen at that same price if the Blues are promoted to the Championship for 2020/21."

And, of course, Paul Lambert chimed in: "Unbelievable incredible potential special yadda yadda platitude platitude."

Wonder if they go for it?

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

To be fair, that's a pretty clever marketing strategy.

"In addition to the reduction in prices, all supporters who buy a season ticket before the first day of the 2019/20 season will have their ticket frozen at that same price if the Blues are promoted to the Championship for 2020/21."

And, of course, Paul Lambert chimed in: "Unbelievable incredible potential special yadda yadda platitude platitude."

Wonder if they go for it?

Undoubtedly - they've bought all the cr4p Lambert has sent their way this season!

Edited by Drazen Muzinic
  • Like 1

I'm not sure quite how clever it is but I guess they are taking the view that better to get bums on seats buying programmes/pies etc and build their support up again for the long term rather than a short term financial view. By my (admittedly quite crude) calculations they lose money if they hit any of their "Town targets" and if they only make the first target they lose quite a bit of money (i.e. going from 11,999 to 12,000 season ticket holder costs them several hundred grand).

If they get to 14,000 then the difference becomes less significant but they are still financially better off having 11,999 season ticket holders than 14,000 in purely gate receipt terms.

Indeed were they to announce they were on 11,999 close to the deadline we could all club together and buy one and cost poor old Marcus a few hundred grand!

I would imagine many of the farmhands will adopt a 'wait and see' attitude,as there's going to be no shortage of tickets and similarly many may chose to go to games against what L1 might consider a 'bigger' club'.

If, as the less dim have probably already grasped, the idea is that they'll be fielding a team of untried youngsters baulked out with a few aged retainers then why would you risk laying out a few hundred quid for something that's not worth even the time let alone the money.

As to the bizarre idea of the price being determined by the amount of tickets sold you are entering into the realms of absurdity as you are merely encouraging your customers to sit on their (farm) hands and wait until the price drops - which is self defeating.

Makes me wonder why incentives have to be offered as i thought the support down there according to Lambert had been triffic, unbelievable and the best fans for a club at the bottom bla,bla,bla.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Makes me wonder why incentives have to be offered as i thought the support down there according to Lambert had been triffic, unbelievable and the best fans for a club at the bottom bla,bla,bla.

He also said that they were 'not normal' something we've known for years. 

11 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It is rather a blatent contradiction.

Apparently the average saving is expected to be between £40-50, something which seems to have caused immense excitement among the faithful, yet hardly enough to justify a season's commitment. .

If they had any good sense at all they would bide their time and see just how well Lambert's promises/bullshine materialise.

But then, good sense and binners is another contradiction.

I cannot help but see this as the last chance saloon for Evans and indeed the club it's self.

Clearly these reductions will exacerbate the losses as even if targets are reached gate income will remain the same.

They are therefore relying totally upon Paul Lambert to do the business, their younger players to live up to some of the usual over-blown expectation and the old and sickies in the squad coping with a full season's battle pub-league style.

The thing is only total success will mean success. Anything less than that and Evans will surely finally lose any stomach he has left with regards financing the train crash.

In other words, they need a swift return (to mid-table Championship mediocrity ) or they could sink without trace.

Already Colchester United represent a more realistic rivalry for them, and the fact that I do not even know what league the latter currently inhabit sums things up adequately.

In the meantime NCFC will mop up all the vulnerable fringe support and beyond, especially if they achieve Premier League status for a decent period.

Not a good time to be a binner. Could things really get any worse for them   ...... er? YES as it's touch and go.

44 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Am I right in saying that the need 14,000 ST before the discount kicks in ?

No. It’s a 10% discount if they get 12,000, 15% if they get 13,000 and 20% if they get 14,000 although the basic price for those renewing has also come down.

as I’ve saud above they are actually financially better off getting 11,999 season ticket holders than 14,000. If they get low 12,000s or even low 13,000s it actually leaves them a few hundred thousand worse off than if they get 11,999.

I guess though the aim is to try and keep their crowds up and rebuild the support base. 

I think they'll get decent crowds next season as at least it is something different.

However if the season starts poorly I think it'll drop off pretty quickly.

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I guess though the aim is to try and keep their crowds up and rebuild the support base. 

It's like King Canute trying to stop the tide, by discounting they might increase numbers (might) but it's unlikely to generate enough capital to make up the shortfall that relegation has impacted on them.

So, no money for ground maintenance again, no money to upgrade that bog of a pitch, redundancies everywhere behind the scenes and most importantly no budget for players to even try to compete at the right end of the table.

Despite all his bullshine, if Lambert can turn this sows ear into  a silk purse, I'll actually have some respect for him. 

....... not going to happen though is it?

This has almost certainly come from Lambert. It's pretty obvious that with his constant bs about "incredible support" etc he is trying to replicate what he did with us- turn around and enthuse a club in the doldrums. Unfortunately for him, our support was present and correct just waiting to be enthused, whilst the binners is nowhere to be seen.

I actually love this offer. For all there supporters Billy big bollox attitude finally the ball is in their court to put their money where their mouth is. If they scrape 10k as I suspect despite this pretty generous offer it will just heap more embarrassment on their misery. Shame 😁

Bit sad me working this out but:

Very rough calc of ST revenues assuming average of £450 per season ticket:

11,999 @ £450 = £5.4m
12,000 @ £405 = £4.86m
13,000@ £382 = £4.97m
14,000@ £360 = £5.04m

So if they get very close to the 12k barrier someone buying a ST to take it to 12k could actually lose them a load of cash!

£450 as an estimate is probably too high as does not allow for kids/OAPs and the fact most of their season ticket fans may have the cheaper tickets anyway so the numbers above are probably a bit high. I guess they are also banking on bigger crowds means more programmes/pies/beer sales etc.

I would be very surprised if they managed 12000 season tickets let alone 14000 plus. Either way they probably will not announce the number if their targets are not reached.

They may get decent crowds if they start winning a few games but that will dwindle the minute they lose one. I can remember our game at Colchester and thinking at the time this could be tricky. That was with our team which had a smattering of decent players.

Some teams in that league are going to rip the Binners a new one.

• Like 1

One of the issues that the Binners have is that their ground it too big. You don't need a season ticket. If the mood takes you on a Friday evening you can get a ticket. We City fans always have that nagging doubt that if we don't renew we may not easily get back in when things get better. This is an argument often missed when we perennially talk about increasing the capacity of the ground. 

The only way they will sell 14k or even 12k season tickets is by making the price very  attractive. Guessing how much you will pay by committing now seems an odd , and unnecessary gamble, to ask of your average Binner. 

As with any Club their gates will increase , in their case dramatically, if they are top of the league. The PR stunt about how great their fan base has been is based on cheap tickets , and nothing to do with increased season ticket sales. 

Compare it to us. We had a serious amount of season ticket holders , and McNally (quite cleverly I thought) promised 20% reduction on relegation as the gloomy day got closer.  The Club then got the begging bowl out to fund transfers, by not taking your 20%. But it was all sensibly based on a decent number of season ticket holders in the first place. 

So surely the best idea is to lower the prices now, and take a hit. Bums on seats is how Football Clubs in the lower leagues finance themselves.  Get people to buy season tickets at a under cost price now, and play on the fact that if the results improve the ticket prices will increase - so get in now while you can. 

You've got to feel sorry for them...having to pay for handfuls of dog sh*t and then being told you'll pay less but still keep your hands full.

Apples

I suspect a number will wait to see how they start before committing to a ST, if they are going well at Christmas they’ll sell a few more

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Bit sad me working this out but:

Very rough calc of ST revenues assuming average of £450 per season ticket:

11,999 @ £450 = £5.4m
12,000 @ £405 = £4.86m
13,000@ £382 = £4.97m
14,000@ £360 = £5.04m

So if they get very close to the 12k barrier someone buying a ST to take it to 12k could actually lose them a load of cash!

£450 as an estimate is probably too high as does not allow for kids/OAPs and the fact most of their season ticket fans may have the cheaper tickets anyway so the numbers above are probably a bit high. I guess they are also banking on bigger crowds means more programmes/pies/beer sales etc.

Their total ticket revenue for 17/18 was only £4.7m which includes casual and away fans

Lower the ST price too far and it loses it's incentive money wise over purchasing on a game by game basis - and as above there is not any real concern that you would not get a seat, more so where you want, by adopting the latter arrangement.