Not sure how long his contract is but I think DF/SW were hoping Thompson would/could  replace him over the course of the season. Thompson has been desperately unlucky and may need a loan next year to get him regular games. 

I think we might be looking for another DM next year, if Leeds don't go up, we could do worse than Kalvin Phillips although he's probably out of our price range. 

Initial injury seems to have outed him for the season.

Whether he is up to another season at the top level (should we get there) is one question, whether his experience will be of value is another.

Don't write him off just yet as, just like Frank Sinatra, he's beginning to excel at come-backs.

He's made a massive contribution this season. The fact that he didn't get back in after injury is testament to the strength of the squad Webber and Farke assembled. Tettey and Leitner looked irreplaceable earlier in the season but because of that squad they haven't been missed. Or at least haven't been missed as far as results are concerned.

They both could still have a big part to play over these last 4 games.

• Like 1

2 year contract not sure if injured but a waste on the bench if fit.  totally eclipsed at DM by Tom T.  Need improved DM if promoted. Thanks Alex and Goodbye.

He's down the club shop at 1.30pm today signing autographs, if anyone wants to go and show him some love!

30 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Sadly all other alternatives pass the ball better and Farkeball relies on this big time.

A great and much loved player.

Not strictly correct. Tettey actually used to have the best pass completion percentage out of all of our midfielders. Both last season and earlier this season too I believe.

He doesn't go for the glory balls, mind. These will be short accurate passes, keeping things ticking over in midfield which is what his job is.

• Like 2

Alex is not a ball playing dm. But he excels at breaking up play and believe that he may well have handled the conditions at Wigan better than most. We kind of need a dm that is a bit of tom and alex. Tetbull?

He'll be useful in the Prem for defensively-minded cameos when we're 1-0 up at the Etihad & Anfield with 3 minutes to go.

• Like 1

He was bloody brilliant in the first half of this season. However, he's always looked a little technically lacking at Prem level. He'll still be a useful squad player next season for defending leads, and maybe starting the odd away match if we need to play with three CMs – Tettey/Trybull for the graft, protecting a Leitner/Vrancic-style playmaker.

With the current squad he still has a part to play, the fact that anyone bowing out of the squad with injury has struggled to get back in just shows how good competition for places is at the moment. I love Alex, and I’m sure his experience in the dressing room is as vital as his early season contributions on the pitch

1 hour ago, Orly said:

He'll be useful in the Prem for defensively-minded cameos when we're 1-0 up at the Etihad & Anfield with 3 minutes to go.

And those toe-pokes at Old Trafford don't score themselves!

• Like 1

Hanley is on the bench because home grown rules but we have 2 central defenders last 5 6 games on bench who is too much from tactical point  of view .May be Farke try not  make angry Klose but more practical should be we to have 1 more defensive midfielder as Tettey  on bench than 2 central defenders.

Rhodes out for Sheff Wed mean we add Srbeny here and Thompson for home grown reason.

We have luxury to be with virtually fully fit squad for last 3 4 games so unfortunate for some players no place on the bench also.

He’d be on the bench if it wasn’t for the home grown rule.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Not sure how long his contract is but I think DF/SW were hoping Thompson would/could  replace him over the course of the season. Thompson has been desperately unlucky and may need a loan next year to get him regular games. 

I think we might be looking for another DM next year, if Leeds don't go up, we could do worse than Kalvin Phillips although he's probably out of our price range. 

I do hope that's what happens, and that we dont sell him.

22 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I do hope that's what happens, and that we dont sell him.

Thompson signed a new 4 year deal in October so I can't see him being sold. I imagine he'd be a strong candidate for a loan though.

11 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

And those toe-pokes at Old Trafford don't score themselves!

I loved how jammy that goal was...I also remember his interview after he scored a worldy at CR ‘I thought I’d do a Yaya’ What a guy 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 10:24, Orly said:

I got the length of the cameo, and the ground wrong, but what a shift Tettey put in tonight.  

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

I got the length of the cameo, and the ground wrong, but what a shift Tettey put in tonight.  

Yes he and McLean were immense.

to be fair all the players were immense, both the FT regulars and those who had to come in!

11 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

No Tettey, no party.

OTBC

In a way it suited Tettey today, play for 3/4 of the match was in our half, meaning he wasn't having to run too far and could just concentrate on defending.   Couldn't fault him today.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In a way it suited Tettey today, play for 3/4 of the match was in our half, meaning he wasn't having to run too far and could just concentrate on defending.   Couldn't fault him today.

That's a good point, actually. He doesn't have the legs to cover the space when we get countered, so a backs to the wall, ten men behind the ball rearguard suits him down to the ground.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's a good point, actually. He doesn't have the legs to cover the space when we get countered, so a backs to the wall, ten men behind the ball rearguard suits him down to the ground.

I disagree. He does have the legs, he doesn't (and never has had) the technique. He can run, tackle, cover ground and defend but give him the ball and he's a liability. Still love him.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

I disagree. He does have the legs, he doesn't (and never has had) the technique. He can run, tackle, cover ground and defend but give him the ball and he's a liability. Still love him.

Didn't he have one of the highest successful pass rates last season, if you look, when he played?

8 hours ago, 65Vintage said:

Didn't he have one of the highest successful pass rates last season, if you look, when he played?

I think the problem is that when he’s in a tricky corner he hasn’t got the first touch, composure and passing ability to play out against a high press. To be fair, yesterday he did well - I can only think of one time he played a loose pass when we were trying to play out. When he’s got time on the ball, he isn’t a bad passer, it’s just that ability to do it quickly under pressure in tight corners. (And that’s not a criticism as such, I’m a massive fan of what he brings to the team, but he’s not as good technically as others.)

As for not having the legs to get back and forward, I don’t think it would hurt us too much to have an anchor who doesn’t get forward. If one or both of the fullbacks go, meaning our advanced players tuck in and become even narrower through the middle, then do we need Tettey/whoever is holding to get forward too? Sit in front of the back four, slot in when the fullbacks go forward or help break up the counter. 

Edited by Aggy