11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Worth wondering though if players like Jahanbakhsh, Andone and Locardia may improve under a manager who doesn't stick 11 men behind the ball.

Yeah, I like both Jahanbakhas and Andone a lot. Would be good to see them with someone who might play to their strengths. 

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Worth wondering though if players like Jahanbakhsh, Andone and Locardia may improve under a manager who doesn't stick 11 men behind the ball.

Yes, that's true, but then they should have been buying players that fitted the style that CH prefers. Did they not see what happened with RVW?

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Yes, that's true, but then they should have been buying players that fitted the style that CH prefers. Did they not see what happened with RVW?

Jahanbakhsh was a Hughton signing. He tried to get him while at Norwich but he wouldn’t get a work permit. RVW was also a Hughton signing. He spends lots of money on players he doesn’t know how to use. That’s probably his biggest weakness. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Considering what Potter has had to deal with at Swansea, I’d say he is one of the best managers from this season in the Championship. 

His owners sold pretty much everyone out from underneath him with no real replacements. The improvement he has got out of players like Dan James and Matt Grimes is phenomenal. 

He looks like he might pretty much the best English manager around at the moment. Which is why Ashworth will be very keen on him. 

There were a few posts on here after the home game against Swansea saying that Swansea reminded them of how we played last season-quite a lot of possession but no end product-and were saying that they might be the Norwich of next season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Jahanbakhsh was a Hughton signing. He tried to get him while at Norwich but he wouldn’t get a work permit. RVW was also a Hughton signing. He spends lots of money on players he doesn’t know how to use. That’s probably his biggest weakness. 

The fact this pattern of him being unable to get the most out of expensive attacking signings has repeated itself twice now does suggest the issue is more with him than with the signings. Huge coincidence otherwise.

With us he spend £13m odd on two strikers who'd scored about 30 goals between them last season and then scored a combined 7 with us.

What he did with Jahanbakhsh is quite masterful in some ways- 21 goals and 12 assists to 0 goals and 0 assists.

5 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

There were a few posts on here after the home game against Swansea saying that Swansea reminded them of how we played last season-quite a lot of possession but no end product-and were saying that they might be the Norwich of next season.

I said that. Hope they can emulate our success. I like seeing football played the right way.

7 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I said that. Hope they can emulate our success. I like seeing football played the right way.

Problem for Swansea is their asset stripping owners. 

Norwich had to sell their best players but had a plan to adapt and improve. Swansea just sell their best players and then expect Potter to find another guy from their academy to fill the gap. Once they lose Dan James, Matt Grimes and McBurnie they will be stuffed. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I thought their Trust owned over 20% of the club which if true makes their fans voice hardly worth listening to.

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I thought their Trust owned over 20% of the club which if true makes their fans voice hardly worth listening to.

Don't know if it's changed since, but they were certainly cut out of the decision making processes in the beginning. They appointed Bob Bradley as coach without telling them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37739815

[edit] sounds like things still aren't going well https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47223722

Edited by Icecream Snow

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich had to sell their best players but had a plan to adapt and improve. Swansea just sell their best players and then expect Potter to find another guy from their academy to fill the gap. Once they lose Dan James, Matt Grimes and McBurnie they will be stuffed. 

Would have all three of those at Norwich.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Oh dear, does that say more about the people who hire Hughton, and give him the money to do that?

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

They went from this at the end of 2018

image.png.8cf8522be5cfd0090719748de522c37b.png

to this at the end of the season

image.png.85538762ea7d4e10e1bee8bcb287ee66.png

11 points from their last 18 matches is relegation form. Including a six game streak where they failed to score (losing 5-0 to Bournemouth and 2-0 to Cardiff)

Very very similar actually to City when we were relegated last time. I can recall the win against Southampton in January when we had, if i recall, 23 points and  i said there and then we would only get another 10 or 11 points until end of that season and so it transpired. If Brighton are indeed a forward looking club with plentiful funds to at their disposal, then i can see why Hughton has gone.

15 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Is the current Brighton squad better than Hughtons final Norwich squad?

Probably. 

Glenn Murray is a striker better suited to the Premier League than anyone we had under Hughton that season, Duffy and Dunk are a very solid central defensive pair, Pascal Gross has shown he knows how to find the net from midfield. 

The chairman suggested that they are going down a different route. Would that be a Sporting Director / Head Coach I wonder. If not, then I think that's one relegation spot filled next season.

Brighton looked a really good side at Arsenal in the penultimate game of the season.

Whether that was because the possibility of relegation had been removed, or because of the personnel that were available ( I think Gross may have returned from a long-term injury), but they certainly gave Arsenal a run for their money.

It obviously wasn’t enough to keep Hughton in work.

Always bad when someone loses their job but football is a harsh and unforgiving business. Right decision, I would not want him anywhere near our club again, he destroys my enjoyment of football with his style. 

Contrast to Farke, next season we might stay up, we might go down but if we go down, we're going down swinging. Hughton teams just curl up into a ball and try to lose without taking a beating in the process.

I hated almost everything about the two seasons we had Hughton in charge. I'm astonished he got another job after what he turned us into - he is a dinosaur who has no clue about offensive tactics and his time has gone, like some others - including Warnock, Pellegrini and the old geezer pundits like Souness, Lawrenson etc. The game has moved on and they haven't. Only Hodgson of the "old" brigade has still got a  bit about him.

Shame in a way because Brighton probably won't struggle next year now. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I hated almost everything about the two seasons we had Hughton in charge. I'm astonished he got another job after what he turned us into - he is a dinosaur who has no clue about offensive tactics and his time has gone, like some others - including Warnock, Pellegrini and the old geezer pundits like Souness, Lawrenson etc. The game has moved on and they haven't. Only Hodgson of the "old" brigade has still got a  bit about him.

Well he's limited. Tactically he's very rigid, and he never seems to have a plan B.

But he's managed four teams now, and we were easily his worst.

Newcastle - won the Championship after unifying a dysfunctional squad, and sacked midtable in the Premiership the following season.

Birmingham - finished 4th with the team being sold from underneath him.

Norwich - kept us up, they sacked near the end of the following season.

Brighton - took over when they were 17th, following season finished 3rd in the Championship, then 2nd the next year. Then two seasons in the Premiership.

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Succeed and you will get sacked is the message coming out of Brighton.  Good luck to the next manager......

Yes, he succeeded in keeping Brighton up but their second half of the season was abysmal. Thankfully for the supporters the owners could see they were on a slippery slope and took decisive action to change things. A shame but that's football.

Chris Hughton is a lovely man but his career as a defender is ingrained in his DNA. I don't suppose it'll take him long to find another seat on the merry-go-round....

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Pellegrini seems like an odd one to chuck in there.

Doesn't surprise me, he would of took them down next season. Safety first football always bites in the end when you've money to spend.

He'll be fine. Someone will look at his record and say that they want some of that. I'd just like the two years he was here back. Houghton and Snodgrass what a pair. Still it's in the past now, we have had worse managers and we are now looking set fair. 

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

New manager, new ideas. Good news for us that Brighton will be transitioning in style while still very vulnerable. That should work in our favour. 

Yes, I agree with that, trying to rebuild/change whilst in the pressure cooker of the PL is not going to be easy for them. 

20 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

For the record I actually supported Hughton's reign with us a lot longer than most, for better or worse. I'll readily admit I was charmed by his character which I have reason no doubt is genuine. Was (am) also proud to have (had) a black/mixed race manager which was & still is a rarity.

I realised the game was up when it wasn't just the style of football that was bad, but also our results and our obvious trajectory towards the R-word. 'Dull but effective' is no longer the grudgingly accepted principle it once was, once it's been transformed into just 'dull'.

I stuck up for him longer than many, his first season on paper looks a success finishing 11th  but I remember going to the wba game thinking if we lost we were down. Thankfully they were on the beach and we win 4-0 then beat Man City away.

I finally gave up on him around Christmas v Fulham I think, but there was a woeful home game, arguably the worst game I have ever seen, (including the 7-1 v Colchester)

• Like 2

What annoys me is the whole race card gets brought up every time a black manager loses their job. Brighton and Us fans can both contest that he sucks the life out of football. Like was previously said he is a dinosaur who hasn’t evolved with the game. 

Those 2 seasons he was in charge were some of the worse games i have ever had to endure as a fan. Ok we beat some top teams but the style was so deflating i no longer looked forward to saturday. Having to watch that style of play killed me inside. 

• Like 1

I think Hughton did a good job at Brighton. I’m not a fan of his very conservative approach but that’s his style and the fact is that he won promotion and kept Brighton in the Premiership and Brighton is a very small club and minuscule by Prem standards.Hughton may turn out to be their most successful manager ever. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bonzo said:

I think Hughton did a good job at Brighton. I’m not a fan of his very conservative approach but that’s his style and the fact is that he won promotion and kept Brighton in the Premiership and Brighton is a very small club and minuscule by Prem standards.Hughton may turn out to be their most successful manager ever. 

This is still an entertainment industry, anyone that dishes up the garbage he does isn't doing a 'good job'.    He's like Mourinho, can't get a tune out of forward's and relies on parking the bus.....    Are the fans happy?   They are now!.  

If people pay good money to watch football, clubs have a responsibility to give them something worth watching....    Hear WBA are interested in him.... some owner's will never learn!