Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Worthington: "Come and get Ashton"

http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/FirstNewsDetail/0,,10355~752356,00.html

This is what he is basically saying.  I find this an appalling statement.  Why haven''t we adopted the "hands off" approach which Palace have with Andy Johnson?  It looks to me like we''re looking to offload Deano in January and are trying to get a good price.

Thoughts?

Worthy has been talking on canaries.co.uk about recent speculation about Ashton.

He can be quoted as saying:

"We will only lose Dean if the price is right for Norwich City. And everybody has a price."

Almost seems like he''s drumming up interest. Obviously the first step in a master transfer plan in January.

What could wqe get for the 6-7m price tag that he seems to be implying.

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/FirstNewsDetail/0,,10355~752356,00.html

This is what he is basically saying.  I find this an appalling statement.  Why haven''t we adopted the "hands off" approach which Palace have with Andy Johnson?  It looks to me like we''re looking to offload Deano in January and are trying to get a good price.

Thoughts?

[/quote]

This is disgraceful DD, Worthy and Delia must go, they are destroying our club between them!.

I see what you DDIM. 

Funniest bit of the whole article is where Worthy states that Ashon will be desperate to show Crewe he is an improved player.  Hmmm not after what Worthy has done to him.  This time last year when he was at Crewe he had 20 goals in all competitions.  This season, not even half that.  Shows how much better Ashton has been under Worthy''s coaching???????

Probably a good idea actually and before you think i''ve gone mad, think about it - the poor sod is wasted in this team while Worthington is in charge. It''d make good sense to offload him now and get the best possible price...however, if we could somehow get rid of Worthington NOW, ASAP, and get someone else in, who will be able to get the best out of Ashton, then we can say "Hands off!"

Worthy out

Same as yours Dumbledelia , Worthless is saying if you want him hes yours if the price is right if we wanted to keep him we would be following Dowies lead . It was always going to happen Worthless has destroyed the team now all thats left is to sell of the decent players .

Yep, looks like he sees Ashton as a viable financial resourse in order to build a new squad. If we get 6-7 mil we should bite their hand off! Ashton is irreplacable but with that sort of money we could raid spurs for the likes of davenport, reid, brown & marney, now i know their wages & the fact that they may not want to come might be an issue but you see what i''m sayin. What sort of sell on fees would be payable to crewe by the way?

Interesting how everyone seems to be focusing on something that isn''t

actually in the article, ie. come and get him, while ignoring some

actual content that contrasts with the "Worthy''s ruined Ashton"

hyperbole, ie. Gradi saying Ashton is an inproved player since being at

Norwich. IMO, Worthy is being honest, and coming out with a Jordan

style hands off means absolutely nothing when a big cheque book comes

along.

Thoughts?

[/quote]

But surely Ashtons value is decreasing all the time, I dont think we should sell him, but surely we have to consider it while we can still get a decent price for him? (See R Green)

Personally, id love for him to stay though.

To be honest I don''t know why what Worthy has said has surprised and amazed some supporters.  I for one fully expect offers for Ashton and maybe Green and frimly believe that if the price is what Norwich cannot turn down they will accept in order to but two three or maybe four players in return.  Yes I admit that Ashton is of star quality but we got promoted without him and there are others out there that for my money would do a good job for Norwich.  This would not be the doom for Norwich that a lot of people believe and what Worthy has said is only what a lot of people believe. 

ashton is off then!!!!    why has worthy come out and said what he has just said? that has put more doubt into my thinkin we an get ANYTHING out of this season.  We should reject any offers for ashton in january or we are screwed.  Let him go in the summer at least if we dont get promoted, not now or we''ll face another 9-10 years in this division.

PLEASE STAY DEAN!!

its Chase and Sutton all over again!

have been reading todays EDP and Kevin Pipers article but am going to start a new post on that...

however, this news about Ashton doesnt shock me, he has been playing with little or no confidence of late... the club wont get anywhere near what they want for him in january.. as i said earlier in the week, Newcastle or everton will laugh all the way to the bank when they snap Deano up for 800,000 or something.

Worthy out TODAY!!!!!! inorder to keep our best players here.

jas :)

Thoughts?

[/quote]

I see what you mean. A bit like Jordan''s "you have my personal gurantee that we will be promoted as champions"?

Which player (at any club) ISN''T for sale if the price is right?

Any anyway, Deano has a pretty large say in it. By all accounts, he himself turned down the moves in the summer. If he''s now saying "actually, I want out of here" then perhaps we''d better start getting used to it, as the club won''t keep a player whose heart isn''t here. He IS replaceable - there are lots of other strikers in this division who are scoring goals but with lower price tags than Ashton....

if we can get 7m from man city for deano, then take it and run. 

He''s quality for sure, but is not suited to our style of play. its a

case of either he or worthy goes because unfortunately its not working

out between them professionally.

think he will go now just inviting offers i can see the headline now thanks for everything deano we can''t possibly stand in your way for a return to the big time

I can''t see what all the fuss is about worthy is saying no more or no

less than he did at the start of the season ,we all know what is going

to happen in the january window as far as Ashton is concerned so why

worry what will happen will happen regardless of what worthy say''s

money will always talk so get off worthy''s back every time he makes a

comment it''s getting pethetic  and predictable and before you ask

no i am not a KTF .

sell, sell, sell. get deano out, lovely guy, pure quality, but we dont work with him in our team and he seems homesick etc. the sell-on to crewe means we lose 20 or 25 per cent OF PROFIT on what we paid for him.

sell him - buy davenport and rasiak is available for about 1.5 mill - would be much better suited to our style of play, and start throwing the kids in.

on a side note - do you think Ian Crook was hinting that he''d like a return to FCR with his comments about returning to England? Id have him in the blink of an eye. the best football managers are those with good footballing brains. and i dont think anyone would argue that Crook had an excellent footballing brain!?

do you seriously think Davenport Or rasiak want to joina  team thats 4 points away from League 1?

Davenport will join Reading and enjoy premiership football.. which is more than we can giv him.

Much as i want him to stay joining us would be a bad career move for him

jas :)

I''d have Chippy back in a coaching capacity tomorrow (even if we aren''t changing manager etc) and I''d even take theplunge on him coming back as manager too.

One of the best passers I''ve seen at City, intelligent and would certainly get the right style of play back in the thinking.

Great timing of the article, and stranger PR webs have been spun than this one.

He meant it as to say that it would take a ridiculous bid (probably above 6 million). It was cleared up on the official forums earlier and i posted it somewhere else.