Petriix

Match Sheff Utd's results twice

For a little perspective: all we have to do is match (or better) two of Sheffield Utd's results over the final 4 games and we are promoted. We would only need two wins if they win all four; if they draw or lose, we can do the same. They have only won one of their last four games and have only bettered our result once in the last 15 rounds of fixtures. While it feels like we've lost momentum, they have actually lost ground to us over the past month and are almost certain to finish third.

We are still massive favourites to win the title and Leeds would have to win all four games to stand any real chance of beating us to it. If we really slip up then we are still highly likely to finish first or second. Leeds have only won four in a row once this season while Sheffield Utd have done it three times. In all likelihood, neither of them will reach 90 points and almost certainly not both. One win and one draw will probably be sufficient to claim the title. That would also make the final six games our worst form since the opening six games; we are almost certain to do better than that.

Let's start with a win on Friday; but, rather than prematurely celebrating, let's get behind the team and give 100% support to help them get over the line!

• Like 5

All three teams at the top have had a slight wobble it would seem.

Of the three I consider ours to be the most self-inflicted, beginning with Buendia's unnecessary red and being compounded by Farke's somewhat intransigent team selection, both before and during the last two games.

The Blades seem to have had more of a bit of bad luck with recent injuries, but perhaps it has compensated for the good luck they have had by the fact that their two aging strikers have had a remarkably injury-free season up 'til now. McGoldrick was a precious and fragile being  at ITFC for a number of seasons and was never able to play for such a prolonged period as he has this season. Sharp's swansong has been somewhat over-prolonged it seems.

Leeds like a goods train are a force to be encountered, but they have to pay for their overall lack of finesse on occasions. It's inevitable that they will hurtle off the track now and again. Besides Bamford is a bit of a duffer overall, despite his moments of brilliance.

Norwich? Perhaps, like a finely honed racehorse with a substantial lead in a race we are just easing up in the final furlong.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Frustrating as we had 2 good chances to have won the last 2 games....in Rhodes free header vs Reading....and Steipermanns effort in the 6th min injury time yesterday.

Both of those go in and we'd be as good as up ,even 1 and we'd have had more than one foot in.

Still a good position but my biggest fear now is that should both Sheff Utd and Leeds both win on Friday before we kick off, the place is going to be a bag of nerves

Good call OP!  And as mentioned on another thread Blunts look likely to be without 3 key men against Forest - Sharp, Basham and Egan with their replacements highly unlikely to have Wilder's "run at a brick wall" type approach.  

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Still a good position but my biggest fear now is that should both Sheff Utd and Leeds both win on Friday before we kick off, the place is going to be a bag of nerves

The last time they both won on the same day was on 12 March. In the last five rounds of fixtures, one or other has dropped points.

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The last time they both won on the same day was on 12 March. In the last five rounds of fixtures, one or other has dropped points.

I hope so....but looking at their 2 fixtures on Friday, I'm not hopeful

I wasn't hopeful that Sheffield would drop points at home to Millwall but they did. Think they will both win if I'm honest but nothing is a gimme.

Even if both teams win all four of their remaining games, we still only need to win two.

If you did an eightfold acca on four Leeds and Sheffield United wins, the odds would be pretty huge.

I think that one more win will be enough to see us safe.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Even if both teams win all four of their remaining games, we still only need to win two.

If you did an eightfold acca on four Leeds and Sheffield United wins, the odds would be pretty huge.

I think that one more win will be enough to see us safe.

Spot on.

if you back Leeds and Sheffield Utd to win all 4 of their last games and us to lose our last 4 on Sky bet if you bet a pound you would win close on a quarter of a million.

Might just do it myself would make me feel better if the almost impossible happened.

We are now 1/66 to get promoted and 28/1 not to get promoted. I assume the club are not allowed to bet but wouldn’t it be nice to place £2 million on as the ultimate safety valve lol

Just now, Well b back said:

Spot on.

if you back Leeds and Sheffield Utd to win all 4 of their last games and us to lose our last 4 on Sky bet if you bet a pound you would win close on a quarter of a million.

Might just do it myself would make me feel better if the almost impossible happened.

We are now 1/66 to get promoted and 28/1 not to get promoted. I assume the club are not allowed to bet but wouldn’t it be nice to place £2 million on as the ultimate safety valve lol

If the club was allowed to do that, I'm sure Delia would put the £2m up herself and then instruct the players to throw the remaining games so we can get a nice cash windfall and still stay in the Championship where she feels the club belongs because she has no ambition and you can see that because we've sold all our best players and replaced them with freebies and untested kids from the youth team.

What a difference a year makes 🙂

• Like 1