Fiery Zac

Team Vs Wednesday

Might as well get this started, plus I think they’ll be some different selections from people..

I’d go with

Krul

Aarons  Zimmerman  Godfrey  Lewis

Trybull  Leitner

Hernandez  Stiepermann  Vrancic

Pukki

Get our best players on the pitch. Creativity, vision, cool heads, tempo, control...and 3 points.

Harsh on McLean who has been good and come up with some key goals and assists but I just think Leitner and Vrancic are better players. Leitner will control the midfield better and Vrancic will create and score just as well, if not more so.

OTBC

Don’t think there is any way whatsoever he will leave McLean out. He was our one creative spark yesterday v Wigan. I agree I don’t think Cantwell was a good selection for yesterday, too lightweight, and if I was going to leave anyone out it would be him and Stiepermann, who was very poor yesterday in all aspects. Hernández too appears off form, but I would leave him in because you just never know with him.

6 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Don’t think there is any way whatsoever he will leave McLean out. He was our one creative spark yesterday v Wigan. I agree I don’t think Cantwell was a good selection for yesterday, too lightweight, and if I was going to leave anyone out it would be him and Stiepermann, who was very poor yesterday in all aspects. Hernández too appears off form, but I would leave him in because you just never know with him.

Other than the assist (which yes was our one creative spark) thought he struggled as much as anyone. I am torn as he has really won me over with his performances but I can’t get out of my head that we just look better with Leitner and/or Vrancic and we can’t play all 3. Tough calls to make

• Like 1

I think DF will start the same team. He will want to slot Buendía back when his suspension is over. He won’t want to change the system that has served us so well. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I think DF will start the same team. He will want to slot Buendía back when his suspension is over. He won’t want to change the system that has served us so well. 

He’ll also want to win the game, something we’ve failed to do in the last 2. Vs Reading I thought we were good and came up against a very well organised defensive side, we just lacked a bit of brilliance to unlock the defence. We were very poor vs Wigan, let them shine rather than them actually being particularly good. Both games we lacked some skill and control with the ball. I think changes are needed to address this and win this crucial game. Buendía will then come straight back in no matter what happens.

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

Might as well get this started, plus I think they’ll be some different selections from people..

I’d go with

Krul

Trybull  Leitner

Hernandez  Stiepermann  Vrancic

Pukki

Get our best players on the pitch. Creativity, vision, cool heads, tempo, control...and 3 points.

Harsh on McLean who has been good and come up with some key goals and assists but I just think Leitner and Vrancic are better players. Leitner will control the midfield better and Vrancic will create and score just as well, if not more so.

OTBC

This team with McLean in, Stiepermann out

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

He’ll also want to win the game, something we’ve failed to do in the last 2. Vs Reading I thought we were good and came up against a very well organised defensive side, we just lacked a bit of brilliance to unlock the defence. We were very poor vs Wigan, let them shine rather than them actually being particularly good. Both games we lacked some skill and control with the ball. I think changes are needed to address this and win this crucial game. Buendía will then come straight back in no matter what happens.

Agree - I think Farke just got it wrong yesterday - but he's allowed the odd mistake as w all are. Cantwell has his place in the squad as all the rest on merit but he can't replace Buendi like for like without a Vrancic or Leitner being present as well to dictate the game.

• Like 1

Well I think we all agree that we need our creative midfielders playing asap . They are too good to be on the bench!!!

I would go with something like this:

Krul

Trybull  Leitner

Hernandez  MacLean  Vrancic

Pukki

2 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Well I think we all agree that we need our creative midfielders playing asap . They are too good to be on the bench!!!

I agree, but I would keep the same team and system so he can slot Buendia back in the next match, but simply bring on subs earlier!!  They are that good, they will improve the team late in a game, so why not bring them on earlier if the team is struggling? Twenty minutes, rather than ten or fifteen.   I'm sure he has good reasons for leaving it late - thinks they will have more impact by leaving it late maybe, but we all know what Leitner and Vrancic can do, it would be great to see them on the pitch earlier in a match.

Don't think DF will be happy with the last 2 performances so he will make changes in midfield.

For me Vrancic & Leitner have to play because they are class, they are creative and they can make a difference.

Toss up between Steipermann or Maclean for the other spot with a slight preference for Steipermann.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I agree, but I would keep the same team and system so he can slot Buendia back in the next match, but simply bring on subs earlier!!  They are that good, they will improve the team late in a game, so why not bring them on earlier if the team is struggling? Twenty minutes, rather than ten or fifteen.   I'm sure he has good reasons for leaving it late - thinks they will have more impact by leaving it late maybe, but we all know what Leitner and Vrancic can do, it would be great to see them on the pitch earlier in a match.

I understand your reasoning Lakey...but I'm a big fan of Mo and I think he should be pulling the strings in midfield. Their impact has been proved. Bringing them on earlier might work too, but I just don't think Todd has the steel yet to fill Emi's boots. He's one of us and he has to be given time , being a young pro with a lot to learn. It's the business end of the season though... best players should be playing imho

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In the last two matches we've given ourselves a handicap (or Reading and Wigan a sporting chance of 3 points) before we made our subs. I don't think that was really our intention. One or other or both has to start Friday.

Well based on Farke's comments post match he seemed to think things were going ok until the 10 minutes before he made the subs. I hope thats not the case and he's just being guarded in his comments. 

I don't get this "not changing the system" stuff.

In the last 2 games we've been 1-0 down and changed the system late in the 2nd half, and then scored 3 goals, conceding 1.  Why change the system mid-game but not change it at the start of the game so the players have time to practice it for a few days ?  We're not talking a massive change either...

I think Buendia is one of those players who brings out the best in those around him - always open for a pass and able to play the creative ball.  Stiepermann particularly benefits from playing with him.  Todd wasn't bad yesterday but he's just not got that same ability at the moment.  And I thought he looked low on confidence yesterday, most of the time he would just play the cautious/easy ball rather than try to open them up.  Stiep also looked poor and Hernandez really struggled.  McLean didn't have a great game either, so creatively it was one of our poorest performances this season .

I really hope DF sees this.  If we stick with that opening lineup I can see us struggling to beat Wednesday. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Have to admit I'll be swearing if I see he's chosen the same team again...

Vrancic in for Cantwell. Hernandez and Steipi will up their games with Vrancic in the side. 

• Like 1

Really can’t see how Vrancic can play on the wing. He just doesn’t have the skill set for that. Even McLean out there is a stretch for me. 

Sheffield Wednesday will play more like Reading did than Wigan. Bruce doesn’t really do high pressing and intensity and they’ll sit deep and look to hit Norwich on the counter. That means Norwich will need players in attacking positions that can beat a man on the turn - something that Vrancic doesn’t really do well. Could potentially put Stiepermann out on the wing and Vrancic or McLean central or keep Cantwell on the wing. McLean/Vrancic/Leitner would all probably work alongside Trybull. McLean could potentially need a rest after being involved with Scotland during the international break (including a trip to Kazakhstan and back). 

Don’t think there is massive need to do a big overhaul. 

• Like 2

Buendia doesn;t play "on the wing" though Bethnal. He tucks in and plays like a wide central midfielder most of the time and I don;t see why Vrancic can;t play there. i'm fairly sure he's played in that role for us previously although I may have imagined it. Did he not play as an attacking midfielder at Bournemouth in the Cup?

But yes i'd agree the most obvious thing to do if he changes it is push Mclean into the more advanced position and play Vrancic next to Trybull.

• Like 3

I’d bring Mo in for Todd and move Kenny into a more attacking role - as I would have done all along.  

DF did say he wanted to go with the minimum of positional change, which is fine and totally understandable, but it simply hasn’t quite worked out as we’d have wanted (not that 2 draws is so bad).  

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Buendia doesn;t play "on the wing" though Bethnal. He tucks in and plays like a wide central midfielder most of the time and I don;t see why Vrancic can;t play there. i'm fairly sure he's played in that role for us previously although I may have imagined it. Did he not play as an attacking midfielder at Bournemouth in the Cup?

But yes i'd agree the most obvious thing to do if he changes it is push Mclean into the more advanced position and play Vrancic next to Trybull.

Yes, but Buendia still has the vital skills of being a very good dribbler of the ball, fast and excellent at finding pockets of space. Buendia will also pull out wide when needed to stretch the play. 

Vrancic is technically excellent, but as we saw last season he struggles higher up the pitch when denied space and time. He has gone some way to resolving that a bit this season, but I don’t think he’ll add much stuck out in a wide position (even if it is one where he will move central), he doesn’t have the mobility to disrupt defences. 

Mid people really don’t want Cantwell in the team, Passlack or Heise seem more natural replacements (as you then shift Hernandez into the Buendia ‘free’ role). 

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yes, but Buendia still has the vital skills of being a very good dribbler of the ball, fast and excellent at finding pockets of space. Buendia will also pull out wide when needed to stretch the play. 

Vrancic is technically excellent, but as we saw last season he struggles higher up the pitch when denied space and time. He has gone some way to resolving that a bit this season, but I don’t think he’ll add much stuck out in a wide position (even if it is one where he will move central), he doesn’t have the mobility to disrupt defences. 

Mid people really don’t want Cantwell in the team, Passlack or Heise seem more natural replacements (as you then shift Hernandez into the Buendia ‘free’ role). 

Sorry but this makes no sense to me.  Buendia has all those skills, I agree.  We don't have anyone else who can come in and do what Buendia has been doing.  So we need to look at the players who are available and see who can best come in.  By definition they won't be able to offer everything you'd get from Buendia on the pitch.  But we've looked short on ideas/quality creatively without Buendia so we need someone who can offer that, especially against Wednesday who will be planning to keep it tight defensively when they come to CR.

Cantwell for me looked short on confidence yesterday, so didn't offer much in terms of going past people or creating space to receive the ball or indeed to go out wide to stretch the play when needed.  Hernandez already has licence to roam, but struggled to contribute much yesterday, so I don't think it makes sense to talk about him taking on the Buendia free role - over our 8 game winning run, both of them were moving freely around the pitch which was a crucial part of our success.  Without other players posing an attacking threat, it was easier for Wigan to close down Hernandez.

So for me Vrancic makes sense as the replacement for Buendia.  He's not being asked to play as a traditional winger, he has licence to roam as a right midfielder.  He's got the ability to play the creative pass, score goals himself, and create space to receive the ball.  He's looked like a quality player when he's come on late in the last couple of games.

It would be madness to bring in Passlack or Heise now, neither of whom has played much or at all this season, when we have a quality creative player like Vrancic available.

....exactly

...even if Vrancic was being asked to play 20 yards further right than he'd perhaps like to , its hard to imagine that he'd have been as ineffectual as Cantwell in these couple of games and would surely have contributed at least a couple of key moments.

37 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I actually don;t mind whether Cantwell stays in the team IF we have a passer alongside Trybull. I don;t care whether its Cantwell or Mclean who makes way i just think we need to get one or (or possibly both) of Leitner or Vrancic into the team. Cantwell would probably play quite well in a well functioning midfield.

• Like 1

I'd go for 

Krul

Trybull  Vrancic

Hernandez  Stiepermann  McLean

Pukki

Think that has more balance than having Vrancic wide personally although the way we play with Buendia drifting inside I don't think it would be as big a stretch as some suggest. In both the last two games I've felt that McLean has had more impact when he was pushed further forward after the substitutions were made.

Last point. Might be wrong but I feel there is a touch of nervousness on the pitch - there certainly is in the stands - and Mo and Mario both bring a sense of calmness and control to our play which I feel we would benefit from at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I actually don;t mind whether Cantwell stays in the team IF we have a passer alongside Trybull. I don;t care whether its Cantwell or Mclean who makes way i just think we need to get one or (or possibly both) of Leitner or Vrancic into the team. Cantwell would probably play quite well in a well functioning midfield.

YES

Interesting listening to Farke's post match interview in full. On Vrancic and Mo he said "they are central players" before saying how much competition there is for those central midfield slots.

It does appear that he only regards Hernandez, Cantwell and Buendia as wide players which perhaps makes the change the fans want for Friday unlikely.