Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Daniel Farke - you are a fantastic coach and have been absolutely magnificent this season but...

Recommended Posts

If you start that team again on Friday I think I might explode. 

 

warning signs were there on Wednesday and not heeded. Indeed they have been there in most of the games we’ve played with the Trybull/McLean midfield but Buendia has masked some of the issues. Without him there to get on the ball and give them an easy pass we don’t move it quick enough or look after the ball anywhere near as well as we can.

I understand why we didn’t want to change a winning team in terms of the starting line ups but the lack of pitch time for Leitner and Vrancic sinc3 they’ve been back fit is truly bizarre as has been the decision to start Cantwell ahead of them. This is not about gett8ng at Cantwell who has done ok but we need these players who “make us tick” in the side.

Please, please don’t be stubborn and change it for Friday because however we may console ourselves with the fact that Shef U have not closed the gap, the last two results have been frustrating.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally correct, McLean is slowing the play down, anyone notice he was took off corner and free kick duty once  Leitner came on. Farke needs his best 11 now not be all sentimental towards Kenny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not particularly a fan of McLean myself but I will say that he, like Krul has become target No1 for those looking for someone to blame. 

He was part of the eight straight wins, scored some and assisted too and still got stick. I think he's going to have a tough time at Norwich. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

If you start that team again on Friday I think I might explode. 

 

warning signs were there on Wednesday and not heeded. Indeed they have been there in most of the games we’ve played with the Trybull/McLean midfield but Buendia has masked some of the issues. Without him there to get on the ball and give them an easy pass we don’t move it quick enough or look after the ball anywhere near as well as we can.

I understand why we didn’t want to change a winning team in terms of the starting line ups but the lack of pitch time for Leitner and Vrancic sinc3 they’ve been back fit is truly bizarre as has been the decision to start Cantwell ahead of them. This is not about gett8ng at Cantwell who has done ok but we need these players who “make us tick” in the side.

Please, please don’t be stubborn and change it for Friday because however we may console ourselves with the fact that Shef U have not closed the gap, the last two results have been frustrating.

Hey Jim, good to see you back again.

You've answered your own question. Farke wouldn't change his philosophy of backing the players when we were on a run of 25 from 27.

I expect changes for Friday, but let's not pretend that we're all master tacticians in hindsight when Farke has got us to the cusp of the Prem with his consistent approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is people can not distinguish between saying Vrancic/Leitner are better and slagging off McLean/Cantwell. Saying the former two should play should not mean abusing the latter two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ian said:

Hey Jim, good to see you back again.

You've answered your own question. Farke wouldn't change his philosophy of backing the players when we were on a run of 25 from 27.

I expect changes for Friday, but let's not pretend that we're all master tacticians in hindsight when Farke has got us to the cusp of the Prem with his consistent approach.

No hindsight needed. Cantwell wasn’t part of the “consistent approach” and was obvious that line up did not work that well on Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Not particularly a fan of McLean myself but I will say that he, like Krul has become target No1 for those looking for someone to blame. 

He was part of the eight straight wins, scored some and assisted too and still got stick. I think he's going to have a tough time at Norwich. 

Quite right SR - he provided today's pass for Pukki too.

 

Not his biggest fan but credit where it's due.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understood that McClean was miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch today with an 85 % pass completion ratio, 18 won duals - best on pitch in both areas and provided the only assist. But maybe the stats lie lol, however I think you will find in modern day football the stats are 90 % of how a team is picked. 

I already have nightmares of how some people will destroy this one city one team thing when we don’t win every week in the PL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

No hindsight needed. Cantwell wasn’t part of the “consistent approach” and was obvious that line up did not work that well on Wednesday.

He more than played his part when we had nobody else to call on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think McLean has looked excellent once moved forward/wide in the last two games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if there's an element of prioritising consistency of system and personnel over performance with a view to slotting Buendia back in as smoothly as possible for the final three games, given the superb run we'd been on until his red card. Just a theory. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ian said:

He more than played his part when we had nobody else to call on. 

Yes he did and this is not an anti Cantwell thing but Vrancic and Leitner were both the top midfielders in the division before their injuries and have not been allowed a chance since. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for those saying the problem is Buendia I know this will be a little controversial but did he not let everybody down by getting sent off ? Of course he should come straight back in but if this is the real reason we have struggled then it was caused by Emi’s indiscipline not any player that has to come in to fill his boots.

Tin hat on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

And for those saying the problem is Buendia I know this will be a little controversial but did he not let everybody down by getting sent off ? Of course he should come straight back in but if this is the real reason we have struggled then it was caused by Emi’s indiscipline not any player that has to come in to fill his boots.

Tin hat on.

The red was justified according to the letter of the law, but I still say that when Tyrone Mings can stamp on another player's head with no punishment, then sending off a player for a slightly out of control tackle that barely had any contact with the other player makes the officials look somewhat ridiculous. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your equestrian skills like Jimbo? Farke isn't keen on getting on that horse so maybe you could do that and leave him to get on with what he's good at🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with this Jim. It was 1st against 21st but we looked like the 21st placed team. Teams go through bad patches, managers do too. DL is showing inexperienced in this league by just sitting still and procrastinating. Continue to select a winning team is very loyal but he needs to react to what's happening on the pitch in front of him. Our midfield was 2nd to every ball. McLean is just not agile or physically imposing enough in that position and didn't win many tackles if any at all, leaving Tryball too much to do and cover. DL waited until the 75th minute to make changes - should have been at halftime. You can't expect Leitner and Vrancic to get up to speed and influence games with just 15 minutes - they've hardly had any game time. If they had the entire half that would have been Wigan chasing shadows - not us! McLean did better after the changes assisting in Pukki's goal.

Making those subs 75 minutes, DL may have been thinking defensively, trying to eliminate risk and relying on pieces of genius to square and win the game. Arguing with referees aren't going to change the result, decisive action is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Agree with this Jim. It was 1st against 21st but we looked like the 21st placed team. Teams go through bad patches, managers do too. DL is showing inexperienced in this league by just sitting still and procrastinating. Continue to select a winning team is very loyal but he needs to react to what's happening on the pitch in front of him. Our midfield was 2nd to every ball. McLean is just not agile or physically imposing enough in that position and didn't win many tackles if any at all, leaving Tryball too much to do and cover. DL waited until the 75th minute to make changes - should have been at halftime. You can't expect Leitner and Vrancic to get up to speed and influence games with just 15 minutes - they've hardly had any game time. If they had the entire half that would have been Wigan chasing shadows - not us! McLean did better after the changes assisting in Pukki's goal.

Making those subs 75 minutes, DL may have been thinking defensively, trying to eliminate risk and relying on pieces of genius to square and win the game. Arguing with referees aren't going to change the result, decisive action is.

Agree with this...except all the players look better once we have Vrancic and Leitner playing. The team is greater than the sum of its parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Arguing with referees aren't going to change the result, decisive action is.

Ok, I've decided, who is DL?😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes he did and this is not an anti Cantwell thing but Vrancic and Leitner were both the top midfielders in the division before their injuries and have not been allowed a chance since. 

But as others have alluded to - bringing one or both of those in means big changes to the system of play that had us on 24 from 24 points. Farke champions consistency - so it was no surprise to see him go like for like with Todd.

I say this as someone who has always rated Vrancic, having got into a couple of "passionate discussions" with the chaps who sit behind me who were absolutely slating him from over 12 months ago.

I can rightfully see Farke making tactical changes against Wednesday - but let's not turn this into an exercise of hindsight. Many fans were slating McLean, but you can't argue with the run of form he bought into the squad. Cantwell is the new boo boy, when really we should be looking at how Emi let down the squad with his ridiculously stupid tackle against a shocking QPR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Well b back said:

And for those saying the problem is Buendia I know this will be a little controversial but did he not let everybody down by getting sent off ? Of course he should come straight back in but if this is the real reason we have struggled then it was caused by Emi’s indiscipline not any player that has to come in to fill his boots.

Tin hat on.

Not sure if everybody notices that Buendia makes an awful lot of tackles for a wide midfield man. He's the most fouled player in our team (as he's always onto the ball), always looking to win the ball so gives away a lot of freekicks as well. You will note he gives away penalties as well. That's his game. He's passionate and gets involved, is injured the most as well. That red card was just him trying to win the ball back. No one's going to blame him for that! (Except maybe Farke)

One thing is very evident and Jim is spot on, Buendia's performances have masked the deficiencies and inept performance of others during that 24 out of 24 points run. Without him and the likes of Leitner and Vrancic we look very ordinary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Not sure if everybody notices that Buendia makes an awful lot of tackles for a wide midfield man. He's the most fouled player in our team (as he's always onto the ball), always looking to win the ball so gives away a lot of freekicks as well. You will note he gives away penalties as well. That's his game. He's passionate and gets involved, is injured the most as well. That red card was just him trying to win the ball back. No one's going to blame him for that! (Except maybe Farke)

One thing is very evident and Jim is spot on, Buendia's performances have masked the deficiencies and inept performance of others during that 24 out of 24 points run. Without him and the likes of Leitner and Vrancic we look very ordinary. 

I wouldn’t say inept performances of others. Nobody has been inept. I don’t think we need to be so extreme. I just think the midfield do not function as well without one of those passers in there but we have been able to get away with it at times because our attacking players and Buendia come up with moments of pure quality. In truth, QPR aside, despite the run of fantastic wins we have not been at our fluent best for a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rhino1 said:

7 points clear of 3rd people, fairytale not nightmare get a grip !!!

I'm not worried about automatics Rhino but the championship is loosening from our grip !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I wouldn’t say inept performances of others. Nobody has been inept. I don’t think we need to be so extreme. I just think the midfield do not function as well without one of those passers in there but we have been able to get away with it at times because our attacking players and Buendia come up with moments of pure quality. In truth, QPR aside, despite the run of fantastic wins we have not been at our fluent best for a while.

Apologies Jim -" inept" my words not yours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree nice to win it especially as I have a fiver at 66 to 1 (placed after 5 games), but let’s get over the line first for promotion, if that can happen in next 3 games, they will fly against villa ( who will have the reserves out)  to secure champions!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Well b back said:

 

I already have nightmares of how some people will destroy this one city one team thing when we don’t win every week in the PL.

That is the unfortunate side effects of a successful team that wins promotion. I enjoy the discussions and reading balanced opinions and constructive concerns.

What I can't stand is the arrival of the 'experts' as soon as we do not destroy a team. The singling out of players trying their best is destructive to my team and perhaps some should be a little more reserved in their outrage.

Onwards and upwards

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kenny mclean has been a huge plus since he has been in the team, again yesterday another assist, the corner to make it 2-1 against reading for example, goal against rotherham etc etc etc. 

People dont understand him just because he has a no frills approach to his game, he does things fairly simple and goes about his business in a calm way. Not sure of the stats but he has affected the game in every game he has played near enough. 

I agree Vrancic and or Leitner should be in the team, but you cant drop Mclean.

Steiperman and Hernandez have been poor recently, they need a kick up the back side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

Kenny mclean has been a huge plus since he has been in the team, again yesterday another assist, the corner to make it 2-1 against reading for example, goal against rotherham etc etc etc. 

People dont understand him just because he has a no frills approach to his game, he does things fairly simple and goes about his business in a calm way. Not sure of the stats but he has affected the game in every game he has played near enough. 

I agree Vrancic and or Leitner should be in the team, but you cant drop Mclean.

Steiperman and Hernandez have been poor recently, they need a kick up the back side. 

He's improved definitely but I still feel when alongside Trybull he slows things down a little bit too much and does not always show for the out ball from the centre backs which means they come under pressure if pressed. I think he looked really good for the last 10 minutes of the Reading game when he was moved further forward and out wider and it was also noticeable that he played the through ball for the winner yesterday from an advanced position. I don;t think Farke will want to make 2 or 3 changes so perhaps the obvious one is for him to move Mclean forward and play either Vrancic or Leitner next to Trybull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the point is that DF picks his team and doesn't worry about the opposition. Something that has let previous managers down. And even if it doesn't always work (6 defeats in 42 games says it does most of the time) the skill and confidence in this side has pulled us through.

Whatever team he puts out we have to trust it will continue in the same vein. I have images of Cantwell playing Friday and some booing when his name is read out. Don't.

Good Friday has seen some great games at Carrow Road and two footballing teams going at it in hopefully good weather should be an exciting prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×