Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Atlantic Canary

How utterly poor was Tod Cantwell today

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I've just said above. i think he has got the last two starting line ups wrong and i'm not saying that out of hindsight, if you look back to before the Reading game very few fans wanted that line up in Buendia's absence and gave reasons why with their concerns proven justified by what we have witnessed. I also think that the lack of use of Leitner and Vrancic for the last 2 months has been questionable but obviously we won all those games so it didn't cost us anything. i do think that the team selections in the last 2 games were a mistake and I do also think that Buendia should not have still been on the pitch when he got sent off against QPR but obviously very harsh to blame Farke for Buendia making a reckless challenge.

Whether he learns from it I guess we will see on Friday with the team we put out. Normally he does learn pretty quickly and spots where things are not quite working. He's won us many points this season with his excellent management and has got us top of the league as a consequence. He's done and is doing an excellent job but i always believe you learn far more from those jobs/matters which don;t go smoothly than you do from matters that go completely to plan. 

That's not to say i don't think we are incapable of beating Shef Weds with the same team if they perform. i just think its a risk not to change it and we will play better if he does. Just my opinion though.

I agree with all that Jim

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TodTerifiTodd
More

"I never tried to hide the fact that it is my intention to become the best I can!"

Todd C

 

Well said mate, its a shame there are a few cockwombles amongst our support.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a pity that Tod isn’t played in his best position at no.10 and not on the wing!

 

He’s been asked to do a job, which he’s done, but not his fault we’ve drifted back to moving the ball far too slowly from front to back! Trybull & McLean are too slow in moving the ball forward, it’s very reminiscent of the first 6 games this season.

 

Cantwell is being unfairly singled out for unfair criticism....

Edited by Indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We play with what is basically three interchangeable no. 10s. Emi is the one we miss the most. Hopefully after Friday this will no longer be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

We play with what is basically three interchangeable no. 10s. Emi is the one we miss the most. Hopefully after Friday this will no longer be an issue.

I agree that is how we’ve played but the last two games appear to be more rigid, with Hernández and Cantwell staying out wider.

 

Still say he’s been unfairly criticised for others failings, also should be noted Reading & Wigan are fighting for their Championship survival so are up for the fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Indy said:

I agree that is how we’ve played but the last two games appear to be more rigid, with Hernández and Cantwell staying out wider.

 

Still say he’s been unfairly criticised for others failings, also should be noted Reading & Wigan are fighting for their Championship survival so are up for the fight.

They have all failed to be Emi. Most fans knew what a miss Emi would be but somehow now don't understand how much we do miss him. We didn't lose either game. The only points we deserved to drop was yesterday's 2. We are still clear top. We are on a 12 game unbeaten run. We are averaging over 2 points per game for the season. We have Emi back on Monday, when we will still be top,  raring to go and make up for his suspension for the last three games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as we miss Emi I don't think our drop in effectiveness is simply down to Todd's shortcomings. Pukki isn't putting those half (& quarter) chances away quite as often as he was. I think he's a bit knackered.

In fact I think the whole team's a bit knackered. But i'm still convinced we'll end up champions!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

They have all failed to be Emi. Most fans knew what a miss Emi would be but somehow now don't understand how much we do miss him. We didn't lose either game. The only points we deserved to drop was yesterday's 2. We are still clear top. We are on a 12 game unbeaten run. We are averaging over 2 points per game for the season. We have Emi back on Monday, when we will still be top,  raring to go and make up for his suspension for the last three games.

Unfortunately though we also have a game on Friday or is the strategy just to write off all games when Emi is t available and rely on two wins from the last 3?

the point really is that in Emis absence we needed extra creativity and passing ability in the side rather than “making do” with Todd for three games because he’s the closest thing to Emi (which I don’t agree with anyway as I think Vrancic is).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

We play with what is basically three interchangeable no. 10s. Emi is the one we miss the most. Hopefully after Friday this will no longer be an issue.

indeed we do, yet some appear to not possibly be able to conceive the idea of a Vrancic or McLean playing 20 yrds to the left or right of where theyd usually do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

indeed we do, yet some appear to not possibly be able to conceive the idea of a Vrancic or McLean playing 20 yrds to the left or right of where theyd usually do

Ha! Good point. Mario and Mo looked pretty comfortable when they were introduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Unfortunately though we also have a game on Friday or is the strategy just to write off all games when Emi is t available and rely on two wins from the last 3?

the point really is that in Emis absence we needed extra creativity and passing ability in the side rather than “making do” with Todd for three games because he’s the closest thing to Emi (which I don’t agree with anyway as I think Vrancic is).

To suggest we've written off these games is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. If we hadnt conceded that late equaliser last Wednesday we would have had 4 points from the 2 games and we weren't "making do" with Todd at that time. Where were his replacements when Rinomhota had the freedom of the City to pick his spot.

This board is fast facilitating a witch hunt against one of our own young players and that's a disgrace.

I really hope Todd is selected on Friday if only to cause you to explode Jimbo so we don't have to read this drivel anymore🙃

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably been said (this thread is TL;DR) but it's not easy for Todd to step in, after not playing for some time, and then try and replicate the work Buendia has been doing in that position. Emi had been our best player over the 8 game winning streak and before that too probably! Was always going to be tough for Cantwell to make any kind of mark after those performances from Emi.

But, like a number of people are saying, getting on his back won't help anyone. OTBC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This board is fast facilitating a witch hunt against one of our own young players and that's a disgrace.

Witch hunt? Calm down...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nutty nigel said:

To suggest we've written off these games is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. If we hadnt conceded that late equaliser last Wednesday we would have had 4 points from the 2 games and we weren't "making do" with Todd at that time. Where were his replacements when Rinomhota had the freedom of the City to pick his spot.

This board is fast facilitating a witch hunt against one of our own young players and that's a disgrace.

I really hope Todd is selected on Friday if only to cause you to explode Jimbo so we don't have to read this drivel anymore🙃

 

It's not a witch hunt. It's a lot of reasonable posters suggesting that he might be better off being rested for the next game, and a couple of people going over the top and posting crazy stuff like Jim's post above.

Vrancic copped for much worse treatment last season, and both Murphys and Redmond got dog's abuse a lot of the time. It's all part and parcel of the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolfie, why do you jump in all defensively when I reply to Jimbo and Gee Jay and the like who even you agree post crazy stuff.

The words I used were facilitating a witch hunt. ie giving them the chance to post such drivel.

Surely reasonable posters make reasonable points. I've been involved in plenty of those discussions including the one with you yesterday.

Other young players getting uncalled for dogs abuse is no excuse for Todd getting it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Wolfie, why do you jump in all defensively when I reply to Jimbo and Gee Jay and the like who even you agree post crazy stuff.

The words I used were facilitating a witch hunt. ie giving them the chance to post such drivel.

Surely reasonable posters make reasonable points. I've been involved in plenty of those discussions including the one with you yesterday.

Other young players getting uncalled for dogs abuse is no excuse for Todd getting it. 

Because I think you're exacerbating the situation by jumping all over anyone who makes a completely unreasonable, laughable accusation. If what people are saying is that ridiculous, it's better just to ignore it or make light of it.

Your defence of Todd to the many reasonable posters on here is totally fair and it's a good discussion from both sides. I just don't see the point in you engaging with the idiots who just want to fan the flames, as that's more likely to build the 'witch hunt' us-and-them mentality.

Besides, it'll all be academic in a couple of weeks' time when we've sealed promotion, with or without Todd's help!

Just my two penn'orth 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is "crazy" about my post above. the reference to making do or writing off was in response to the suggestion that there is no point in changing the team for Friday because Emi is back on Monday which personally i think is more crazy than anything i've posted.

I've not actually criticised Cantwell in this thread, I've actually said consistently on this and other threads that the issue is not Cantwell himself and that he should not be criticised personally but its the combination of the lack of Buendia and the fact that Trybull and Mclean as a duo often do not move the ball quickly enough through the midfield which is why we need our better passers and more creative players in the side, especially when Buendia is not available but to be honest i'd prefer it even when he is available.

If Cantwell plays on Friday i hope he plays a blinder and scores a hat-trick. There won;t be any Norwich fans who don't. However, i do not think we will be selecting our best possible team if we keep the same starting line up as the last two games and if I was selecting the team he would not be in it as I think Vrancic and Leitner are too good for us to continue to leave them out. That's not me criticising Todd or a "witch hunt" that's just my view on what Farke should do but I do believe that its one that is shared quite widely amongst the fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Smith said:

What is "crazy" about my post above. the reference to making do or writing off was in response to the suggestion that there is no point in changing the team for Friday because Emi is back on Monday which personally i think is more crazy than anything i've posted.

I've not actually criticised Cantwell in this thread, I've actually said consistently on this and other threads that the issue is not Cantwell himself and that he should not be criticised personally but its the combination of the lack of Buendia and the fact that Trybull and Mclean as a duo often do not move the ball quickly enough through the midfield which is why we need our better passers and more creative players in the side, especially when Buendia is not available but to be honest i'd prefer it even when he is available.

If Cantwell plays on Friday i hope he plays a blinder and scores a hat-trick. There won;t be any Norwich fans who don't. However, i do not think we will be selecting our best possible team if we keep the same starting line up as the last two games and if I was selecting the team he would not be in it as I think Vrancic and Leitner are too good for us to continue to leave them out. That's not me criticising Todd or a "witch hunt" that's just my view on what Farke should do but I do believe that its one that is shared quite widely amongst the fans.

Fair comment, I see now that the 'writing off' comment was rhetorical. Nothing crazy in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Fair comment, I see now that the 'writing off' comment was rhetorical. Nothing crazy in there.

Yep perfectly reasonable assessment. I'd also add 95% of the posts on here have been in a similar vein. 

Cantwell certainly doesn't deserve the kind of nonsense the OP is giving him but part and parcel of being part of a professional football team is that you'll come in for criticism from time to time. Todd is no more above critique than anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure the OP will be delighted at racking up a 4-pager with this. As ever people are entitled to express their opinions, but don't try and pretend it's anything other than detrimental to the player, team and club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Wolfie, why do you jump in all defensively when I reply to Jimbo and Gee Jay and the like who even you agree post crazy stuff.

The words I used were facilitating a witch hunt. ie giving them the chance to post such drivel.

Surely reasonable posters make reasonable points. I've been involved in plenty of those discussions including the one with you yesterday.

Other young players getting uncalled for dogs abuse is no excuse for Todd getting it. 

There you go again playing the "young players card"...which only reinforces my view that you have some kind of an agenda.

I've never brought the age of players into any team selection discussion...I dont care whether they are 17 or 37, I'm interested on our having the best man for the job in the team...which in my opinion happens to not be Cantwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don;t like this position we seem to have got to whereby fans expressing views on who should or should not be in the team (which they have always done) is seen as "abuse" or a "witch hunt". There seems to be an attitude that anyone who even vaguely questions anything Farke or the Club does is not a fan or is an "enemy" of the Club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Sure the OP will be delighted at racking up a 4-pager with this. As ever people are entitled to express their opinions, but don't try and pretend it's anything other than detrimental to the player, team and club.

The reason it’s a 4 pager is that it is what the fans were talking about post Wigan it’s Farkes big decision. 

If he is any kind of  character at all he will take the criticism and look to improve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I really don;t like this position we seem to have got to whereby fans expressing views on who should or should not be in the team (which they have always done) is seen as "abuse" or a "witch hunt". There seems to be an attitude that anyone who even vaguely questions anything Farke or the Club does is not a fan or is an "enemy" of the Club.

Let's all try to move back towards the middle ground here. We're all capable of doing that except Waveney, who as @Fr. Chewy Louie says must be loving all the fallout that his nonsense has created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason we are where we are is because Farke has been brave enough to play the youngsters in tough games. If he listened to the likes of GJ we would never have played Godfrey in front of Hanley. In fact GJ claimed to know more about football than our manager.

Waveney is clearly on the wind. He is clued up enough to know what's drivel. It's not the posters reacting to him that are the problem. It's the ones who hes reeled in to back up his trolling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nutty nigel said:

The reason we are where we are is because Farke has been brave enough to play the youngsters in tough games. If he listened to the likes of GJ we would never have played Godfrey in front of Hanley. In fact GJ claimed to know more about football than our manager.

Waveney is clearly on the wind. He is clued up enough to know what's drivel. It's not the posters reacting to him that are the problem. It's the ones who hes reeled in to back up his trolling.

There are a million and one reasons why we are where we are, but that is indeed one of them.

And I don't think anyone has been 'reeled in' by Waveney's trolling – in fact, I think a lot of people who have fair reasons for thinking Todd shouldn't start the next game are either embarrassed by, or indifferent to, Waveney's childish vitriol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The reason we are where we are is because Farke has been brave enough to play the youngsters in tough games. If he listened to the likes of GJ we would never have played Godfrey in front of Hanley. In fact GJ claimed to know more about football than our manager.

Waveney is clearly on the wind. He is clued up enough to know what's drivel. It's not the posters reacting to him that are the problem. It's the ones who hes reeled in to back up his trolling.

Let not pretend our defence is perfect ...we have let in over 50 goals this season ..and yes I would still maintain that certain aspects of Hanley's defensive play is stronger than Godfrey's but will also acknowledge that Godfrey has different elements to his game that more suit the game we play.....but of course its not possible to have that kind of debate with someone such as yourself without being accused of critiscing young players or better still a "witch hunt"

Time I think that you declared your interest?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atlantic Canary said:

Enough of the childish name calling Wolfie and stick to the debate

play the ball not the man 😉

The two are indistinguishable, because everything you post is tripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×