Atlantic Canary

How utterly poor was Tod Cantwell today

This whole thread should be just how hard the entire team have found it in the last two games, not only to keep a high tempo, but shift the ball quick, not to mention how hard Pukki has found it to play the lone striker with big defenders at his back.

I don’t think it’s fair to single out anyone, but credit to two sides who have battled hard to get points when needed, Reading are on a decent run and Wigan have been solid at home all season, two points gained.....no criticism needed, just credit to other teams.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Rhodes was where he should be and the keeper made a good save. You can't compare that to the unchallenged equaliser when there was just seconds left.

Well I think you can say he absolutely should have scored but since he’s been on the pitch for about 15 minutes since January you can perhaps understand him not being at his sharpest.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I haven’t singled him out for the dropped points though. I’ve just said I think we need Vrancic and/or Leitner in the side and if you are putting them in then Cantwell and/or McLean would be the ones to make way.

And my point is that if we need a change in central midfield then make it. Don't sacrifice two positions in doing so though. 

Edited by nutty nigel

Also Jimbo, don't be like GJ and rewrite your posts. You said selecting Todd was bizarre. Nothing about Cantwell and/or McLean.

McLean has actually improved in the last two games when he's been pushed forward as we pressed for goals. With that in mind, I'd push McLean into Cantwell's position and bring Leitner into the team.

I agree with those who have reservations about Vrancic's ability in the Emi role, but I think Kenny McLean could do a job further up the pitch.

And he was pretty poor in both of the last two games before we started to tweak the formation in pursuit of equalisers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If the others were trolling id take no notice of them either Kingo.

Incidentally he's now doing similar on Twitter and actually tagging Todd in it. Far more potentially damaging than anything being posted here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

And my point is that if we need a change in central midfield then make it. Don't sacrifice two positions in doing so though. 

I’ve never felt the role McLean has played lately is his best position so this is an opportunity to get him closer to, if not put perfectly into a more natural position for him. He’s an attacking, creative player, not someone who comes deep for the ball and is involved in the initial build up while doing a lot of running and intercepting of the opposition play (a la Leitner).

He’s won me over with his overall performances but I still get the feeling there could be more from him if he’s played slightly higher up the pitch and not restrict his attacking instincts. It’s almost like asking Buendia to play in the quarterback role, something he’d be totally unsuited to. So ‘big compliments’ to McLean for taking his opportunity and making the very best of it, I just feel he would be better placed further forward and this would also give Leitner/Vrancic the chance to be back in the starting 11 where they belong.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Incidentally he's now doing similar on Twitter and actually tagging Todd in it. Far more potentially damaging than anything being posted here.

Haha, David Freezer has just called him out as a troll. He must be absolutely adoring all this attention. What a pervert.

1001560114_ScreenShot2019-04-16at16_38_02.thumb.png.4ad0b4e3ef7067e549e1fb4a8b254bb6.png

18 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I've re-written nothing.....and you're still yet to come out from hiding behind your personal agenda...

So quote this reasonable post you claimed to have made then.

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd ignore it on there too. It's not like any of this is a secret. If the last name is Canary and he pops up posting carp then there's a fair chance. Of course if we got "have you ever seen your cok Canary" we'd know for sure...

Edited by nutty nigel

20 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I’ve never felt the role McLean has played lately is his best position so this is an opportunity to get him closer to, if not put perfectly into a more natural position for him. He’s an attacking, creative player, not someone who comes deep for the ball and is involved in the initial build up while doing a lot of running and intercepting of the opposition play (a la Leitner).

He’s won me over with his overall performances but I still get the feeling there could be more from him if he’s played slightly higher up the pitch and not restrict his attacking instincts. It’s almost like asking Buendia to play in the quarterback role, something he’d be totally unsuited to. So ‘big compliments’ to McLean for taking his opportunity and making the very best of it, I just feel he would be better placed further forward and this would also give Leitner/Vrancic the chance to be back in the starting 11 where they belong.

The way I see it we play three number 10s. They are interchangeable which causes defences all kinds of problems. Emi is the most difficult to replace because he is comfortable right, left or central. I think Todd is the nearest to having those qualities and even though, as he himself says, he tries to be the best he can that isn't as best as Emi. But are any of the others?

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'd ignore it on there too. It's not like any of this is a secret. If the last name is Canary and he pops up posting carp then there's a fair chance. Of course if we got "have you ever seen your cok Canary" we'd know for sure...

So let me get this straight...

Posting on here is a witch hunt.

Criticising Cantwell on a message board is hateful.

But someone actually directly sends the player abuse and your reaction is...'just ignore it?'

What hypocrisy.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

But someone actually directly sends the player abuse and your reaction is...'just ignore it?'

What hypocrisy.

You nearly got it straight. You just missed the part that I don't get involved on Twitter. Same as I don't get involved with some of the disgraceful stuff on Facebook. 

I also didn't say posting on here is a witch hunt. Look back. Like I said to Wolfie I have no idea why you get so defensive about my replies to other people's posts.

Edited by nutty nigel

39 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Haha, David Freezer has just called him out as a troll. He must be absolutely adoring all this attention. What a pervert.

1001560114_ScreenShot2019-04-16at16_38_02.thumb.png.4ad0b4e3ef7067e549e1fb4a8b254bb6.png

39 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

David Freezer has a nerve given he is running the poll on the Archant website which will place more scrutiny on Cantwells place in the team than any comments from trolls on twitter.

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

What hypocrisy.

Weren't you one of the ones getting grumpy when I said Stiepermann had a mare against Reading? 

What does hypocrisy mean again? 

53 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The way I see it we play three number 10s. They are interchangeable which causes defences all kinds of problems. Emi is the most difficult to replace because he is comfortable right, left or central. I think Todd is the nearest to having those qualities and even though, as he himself says, he tries to be the best he can that isn't as best as Emi. But are any of the others?

That’s where we’ll have to agree to disagree. Closest to Emi would be McLean imo. When he was signed it was as a no10 was it not? Might be wrong there but always thought he was more of an attacking player.

Also, three number 10s? Buendia, Stiepermann....? Hernandez is a winger and definitely not as comfortable or skilled on the ball as a 10 needs to be. McLean is playing as a deep lying playmaker

Can't we all just get along. 

(This is not an invitation for someone to quote and make a point that someone else started it or it's their fault).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Can't we all just get along. 

(This is not an invitation for someone to quote and make a point that someone else started it or it's their fault).

You've been on the internet before, right?

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

You've been on the internet before, right?

Unfortunately so. I just don't get the big deal. People disagree, why is there such a need to exaggerate the position, making claims about each other? We're (mostly) all adults here aren't we? Can we please act like it.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

Unfortunately so. I just don't get the big deal. People disagree, why is there such a need to exaggerate the position, making claims about each other? We're (mostly) all adults here aren't we? Can we please act like it.

Won't happen. Trust me, it used to be much worse than this!

37 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Also, three number 10s? Buendia, Stiepermann....? Hernandez is a winger and definitely not as comfortable or skilled on the ball as a 10 needs to be. McLean is playing as a deep lying playmaker

This is my point about Buendia being most important. He is the one who interchanges centre and either side. Onel swaps from left to right.

I've not seen McLean in the Emi role so I'd have to take your word for it. Maybe he could play there. If so it's an option for Farke.

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

There's plenty of good debate on here if you choose to join in.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

He isn't a City fan. that seems obvious. It's a great shame this "person" is getting so much attention. Starve the ** of oxygen. Even Dave Freezer is getting involved.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's plenty of good debate on here if you choose to join in.

I agree and that's why I joined after many, many (many!) years of reading. I just don't think the over exaggeration, reactionary responses to people having a different point of view. 

On the actual topic, I personally don't think Cantwell was brilliant in either game but he had his moments and wasn't any worse than most of the other attacking players. He wouldn't be in my starting line-up but if he's in the 11 on Friday, I trust Farkes decision, he deserves that, as a minimum.

Edited by All the Germans

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I agree and that's why I joined after many, many (many!) years of reading. I just don't think the over exaggeration, reactionary responses to people having a different point of view. 

On the actual topic, I personally don't think Cantwell was brilliant in either game but he had his moments and wasn't any worse than most of the other attacking players. He wouldn't be in my starting line-up but if he's in the 11 on Friday, I trust Farkes decision, he deserves that, as a minimum.

Just post what you want and get involved with what you want and ignore what you want.

We'd love to have you on the Ray's Funds threads.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

He isn't a City fan. that seems obvious. It's a great shame this "person" is getting so much attention. Starve the ** of oxygen. Even Dave Freezer is getting involved.

Unfortunately, he is... follows us home and away. Posts all sorts of utter garbage without showing an ounce of remorse. He even accused City fans of being racist and turning on Hughton because he's black!

He's been allowed to get away with all sorts of nonsense with his various usernames, I have no idea why. Probably too much of a time sink having to spot and close down all his many dozens of accounts.

44 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Unfortunately, he is... follows us home and away. Posts all sorts of utter garbage without showing an ounce of remorse. He even accused City fans of being racist and turning on Hughton because he's black!

He's been allowed to get away with all sorts of nonsense with his various usernames, I have no idea why. Probably too much of a time sink having to spot and close down all his many dozens of accounts.

All I can assume is he gets a round in at the Nelson...