Atlantic Canary

How utterly poor was Tod Cantwell today

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's perfectly reasonable to take into account what system we play if you want to play football manager.

What is ridiculous is your hateful claim that Cantwell contributed nothing. 

You're coming across as a bit hysterical on this thread.

Criticising a footballer is now both a witch hunt and hateful. All a tad extreme...

He didn't contribute nothing and he wasn't utterly poor. He was neat and tidy in both games and did ok in my book. Had we had a better passer in the midfield alongside him I suspect he would have played even better, He's a technically gifted, decent young player. He's just not as good at this stage of his career as Vrancic or Leitner but that's a high bar based on their form this season. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

You're coming across as a bit hysterical on this thread.

Criticising a footballer is now both a witch hunt and hateful. All a tad extreme...

Indeed. . Hence my conclusion that there is an underlying interest in any criticism of players of a certain age being met with such language.....which has yet to be declared

Let me try and articulate why I had a such a strong reaction against Cantwell on sunday

I thought a number of players had poor games eg Onel but in the whole he has been fantastic for us, we are all allowed a bad day.

what was unforgivable with Cantwell was that on a number of occasions at 50/50 balls he pulled out of the challenge where as the likes of Trybull were putting their bodies on the line for the team

he simply didn’t have the same fight and passion as the rest of the team albeit many had poor games but they put in a shift

i know he has the skill just not the right mindset 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Crumbs looks like Stiepermann is the most popular choice - I'm sure Canarydan will have something to say about that.

Who are you again?

And did you read norfolkbroadslim's snippet from WOTB? If not, you should.

And while you're at it, have a guess who I picked first in the Pinkun midfielder poll.

23 minutes ago, Atlantic Canary said:

Let me try and articulate why I had a such a strong reaction against Cantwell on sunday

Because you love a good troll?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Who are you again?

And did you read norfolkbroadslim's snippet from WOTB? If not, you should.

And while you're at it, have a guess who I picked first in the Pinkun midfielder poll.

Calm down Dan - maybe it didn't show up on your screen but there's a winky smiley at the end of my post - it was meant in a light hearted way.  

I'm guessing you picked Todd Cantwell first in the Pink'un poll 😉

light-hearted

adjective

amusing and entertaining.

"a light-hearted speech"

I'm afraid the smiley didn't compensate enough for the scarcity of amusement and entertainment for me to pick up on the light-heartedness.

Over the last 2 games the lack of challenge that cost us was when Rinomhotar was given the freedom of the city to score the equaliser for Reading. Yet there has been no criticism of that assumedly because favourites were on the pitch at the time. 

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Over the last 2 games the lack of challenge that cost us was when Rinomhotar was given the freedom of the city to score the equaliser for Reading. Yet there has been no criticism of that assumedly because favourites were on the pitch at the time. 

There definitely was criticism- Stiepermann came in for blame for his powderpuff attempt to block the ball by quite a few.

55 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Indeed. . Hence my conclusion that there is an underlying interest in any criticism of players of a certain age being met with such language.....which has yet to be declared

I don't think he has any sort of agenda- NN is a passionate fan and I don't think being proud of seeing our youngsters coming through into the first team is an agenda.

Well I don't remember all this fuss Kingo. If that's the case then criticising the only player who was anywhere near is ridiculous. When you concede an uncontested equaliser on 97 mins surely any blame would be the people making no challenge. Out of site out of mind.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I don't think he has any sort of agenda- NN is a passionate fan and I don't think being proud of seeing our youngsters coming through into the first team is an agenda.

...but if  youre quoted in two or three posts after suggesting that a player who maybe 8-10 years older might be a better option is met with the assertion that you're in involved in a 'witch hunt' ..are 'hateful' or are actively criticising young players.....one has to conclude as such

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

There definitely was criticism- Stiepermann came in for blame for his powderpuff attempt to block the ball by quite a few.

Don't tell Thirsty Lizard 😉 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Don't tell Thirsty Lizard 😉 

Put down the shiv 😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...but if  youre quoted in two or three posts after suggesting that a player who maybe 8-10 years older might be a better option is met with the assertion that you're in involved in a 'witch hunt' ..are 'hateful' or are actively criticising young players.....one has to conclude as such

But this is nothing like the posts. You have never posted any of that until this one. You can't accuse s player of contributing nothing in one post then claim you were making a reasonable suggestion later. 

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well I don't remember all this fuss Kingo. If that's the case then criticising the only player who was anywhere near is ridiculous. When you concede an uncontested equaliser on 97 mins surely any blame would be the people making no challenge. Out of site out of mind.

Well no because not everyone can be in position to make a challenge can they? I think criticism for the person who was well placed to make the block failing to do so isn't unreasonable. 

You also probably don't remember all this fuss because Waveney didn't start another **** thread about it.

I made quite a few posts about how sh*t Stiepermann was against Reading.

A few people got almost as p*ssy about it as you are now with this Cantwell criticism.

If there's just one player trying challenge that shot in that game at that time then where were the others? Who was missing? 

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

If there's just one player trying challenge that shot in that game at that time then where were the others? Who was missing? 

It wasn't the shot- it was the initial cross.

There is an argument to be made that the rest of the team dropped too deep in that situation and someone should have been on the edge of the box though.

I guess this debate is about how people accept disappointment.

Whether Cantwell should have got 7 or 4 out of 10 is opinion. Valid of course but still just opinion. Two draws against teams near the bottom has been greeted with calls for a change whereas others, me included, were happy that we didn't lose and stand on the threshold of something I couldn't comprehend happening to us with taking last season into account and the self financing club mode.

I can understand some are ready to criticise Cantwell. He isn't Emi but was probably always going to be compared. I didn't think he played badly against Reading (didn't see Sunday's game) but thought that maybe Vrancic would have come in on Sunday. Certainly on the physical side, I think Todd needs to assert himself. At the moment, I think Vrancic is a better player. But obviously DF didn't want to change the system or shape and to be fair, we got a result if not the preferred one.

We won't be playing teams after draws at this stage. We will be playing the Owls who need three so I expect a more open less tactical game and maybe one in which Todd can still play a part.

My preference would be Vrancic though.

...of course , all of this would have been incidental had Rhodes put the free header in from 7 yards out....that Steipermann himself put on a plate for him

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

They absolutely did drop too deep and someone should have been on the edge of the box 

Indeed and that was the incident that really cost us in the two games where Cantwell is getting so much stick. Ignoring that is just one of the things that is so unfair about singling out Todd for the dropped points.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Indeed and that was the incident that really cost us in the two games where Cantwell is getting so much stick. Ignoring that is just one of the things that is so unfair about singling out Todd for the dropped points.

Aaahhhh - that Reading goal!! I've watched it back far too many times than is good for me. 

To put it bluntly it was a defensive horror show - one of the worst we've conceded all season.

Rhodes, Godfrey, Hernandez, Stiepermann and Trybull were all to 'blame' in varying degrees. 

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...of course , all of this would have been incidental had Rhodes put the free header in from 7 yards out....that Steipermann himself put on a plate for him

Rhodes was where he should be and the keeper made a good save. You can't compare that to the unchallenged equaliser when there was just seconds left.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Are people singling out for dropped points though? What I've read is some pretty reasonable criticism of his performance and how him replacing Buendia has affected our general team play.

The only person giving him real significant stick is Atlantic who you've given far less stick then a bunch of others on here. The mystery of his free pass continues I guess...

Edited by king canary

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Rhodes was where he should be and the keeper made a good save. You can't compare that to the unchallenged equaliser when there was just seconds left.

....the keeper should have been given no chance from that range.....which would/should have been an assist for Steipermann....to go with his earlier one in creating the equalizer

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I haven’t singled him out for the dropped points though. I’ve just said I think we need Vrancic and/or Leitner in the side and if you are putting them in then Cantwell and/or McLean would be the ones to make way.