Atlantic Canary

How utterly poor was Tod Cantwell today

Well i'm sure the poll that Archant have just launched on the home page is really going to help matters. Really not convinced that is a good idea in the circumstances.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Atlantic Canary said:

Hit that ignore button Wolfie that’s what it is there for! 

Nah you're alright, I'm not letting you off the hook that easily. If you feel like you're being victimised you can always ignore/report me. 😉

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well i'm sure the poll that Archant have just launched on the home page is really going to help matters. Really not convinced that is a good idea in the circumstances.

Will be interesting to see how many votes Super Todd Cantwell gets 😩

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Pretty clear response so far.

185054719_ScreenShot2019-04-16at12_55_46.png.f0493774310fde7a8aa21d8a3dc1879a.png

This would also suggest that people aren't that sure about Kenny, yet he put a lovely ball through for Pukki's equaliser.

I don't think he's been brilliant in the past few games, but assists like that prove he has something to offer.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Waveney is clearly on the wind. He is clued up enough to know what's drivel. It's not the posters reacting to him that are the problem. It's the ones who hes reeled in to back up his trolling.

I'm always a bit confused why Waveney gets a free pass from some of the regulars on here for his trolling.

• Like 1

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

This would also suggest that people aren't that sure about Kenny, yet he put a lovely ball through for Pukki's equaliser.

I don't think he's been brilliant in the past few games, but assists like that prove he has something to offer.

I think Kenny has been well underrated in the past few matches – when you consider that our two most creative central midfielders have been on the bench and we've still won eight in a row, he's been a big part of that. He may not have the effortless cool of Leitner or the passing range of Vrancic, he's got through a hell of a lot of work and linked midfield and attack really neatly. I think he'll be an important part of our squad next season.

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I suppose everyone who's voted on this poll so far is too involved in a "witch hunt" ??

Indeed there have been some very very over emotional reactions to what as the fans are saying on the poll a very very poor  couple of days work by Cantwell

I don't profess to be an expert or know the nuances of each individual player and where they can or can't be effective.. All I know is that in my opinion our three best players are Buendia, Leitner and Vrancic (harsh on others I know). One of those can't play, so please, at least play one of the remaining, preferably two of them if we can find an effective way of doing so.

PS, I don't think Cantwell was bad, he just wasn't Emi.

• Like 1

Quite a lot going on in this thread. A few points...

• Has Todd been 'utterly poor?' Not in my book. He's not looked at the same level he did when he first came in but he's been 6 out of 10 rather than 3 or 4.
  • Does him being young change how he should be evaluated? Yes and no for me. I think young players will naturally have peaks and troughs in form as they play their way in. However I've got sympathy for the point a few that with few games left and promotion being on the line that now isn't the time to be letting a younger player play through poor form when we have more established on the bench.
  • Is a thread like this detrimental? I think if you take out 'Atlantic's' posts no. If you're a professional footballer then critique comes with the territory and I don't believe Todd or any of our younger players would have got to where they are if they were as fragile as some make out on here.

That question is complete rubbish. It encourages people to vote for their favourite players. Surely the question should be should Farke replace like for like and play Todd or change the system to fit in someone else.

Edited by nutty nigel

Borrowed from WOTB -

"A lot of assumptions going on as to what that is about

Could well be more to do with him not signing the contract offered to him.

But I’m not having this turned on the fans again. Cantwell has had no abuse from fans at games as far as I am aware. None. What seems to happen these days with social media is that fans come out with perfectly normal fan opinions about who should be in the team. That has always happened. Fans have players they rate, love, don’t like so much and they discuss who should be playing.

But these days, as soon as this happens some do gooder on Facebook or twitter accuses “the fans” of scapegoating that player and abusing them and a row kicks off. A very small minority of fans who are not the brightest maybe can’t distinguish between saying “x should be in the team” from “x is sh*t” and tweet things to that effect and the row snowballs. In general though most of the threads on social media about Cantwell getting stuck have been started by people falling over themselves to show what great fans they are by having a go at fans for “scapegoating” Cantwell rather than fans actually having a go at Cantwell. But now it’s too late, it’s snowbalked and the narrative is out there. It’s like some North Korean type regime where if you don’t tow the club line 100% and agree with everything that anyone at the club ever does you are the enemy or something.

will probably start him now on Friday to make a point.

Posted By: Jim on April 16th 2019 at 07:40:41"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Atlantic Canary said:

Indeed there have been some very very over emotional reactions to what as the fans are saying on the poll a very very poor  couple of days work by Cantwell

Atlantic's recent posts show he is clearly trolling. Most of the rest of the discussion on this thread is valid and constructive. Contrary to my view though that fans should be able to debate this i do have misgivings about Archant so publically doing a poll on the matter which is inevitably going to have the outcome we are seeing, will no doubt be used as the basis for back page stories this week and to be honest will produce an outcome which may affect his confidence/cause further division. I absolutely agree that all professional footballers should expect their performances to be scrutinised and rated and that a bit of stick goes with the territory at times (as does adulation when things go well) but this poll to me is a fairly brutal. 

1 minute ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Borrowed from WOTB -

But I’m not having this turned on the fans again. Cantwell has had no abuse from fans at games as far as I am aware. None. What seems to happen these days with social media is that fans come out with perfectly normal fan opinions about who should be in the team. That has always happened. Fans have players they rate, love, don’t like so much and they discuss who should be playing.

But these days, as soon as this happens some do gooder on Facebook or twitter accuses “the fans” of scapegoating that player and abusing them and a row kicks off. A very small minority of fans who are not the brightest maybe can’t distinguish between saying “x should be in the team” from “x is sh*t” and tweet things to that effect and the row snowballs. In general though most of the threads on social media about Cantwell getting stuck have been started by people falling over themselves to show what great fans they are by having a go at fans for “scapegoating” Cantwell rather than fans actually having a go at Cantwell. But now it’s too late, it’s snowbalked and the narrative is out there. It’s like some North Korean type regime where if you don’t tow the club line 100% and agree with everything that anyone at the club ever does you are the enemy or something.

That's one eyed BS.

If it's ok for him to have an opinion on what people he disagrees with post then it should be ok for anyone to have an opinion on what any others post.

...oh dear NN is clearly put out by how this voting is skewed by asking who people think 'should' be playing rather than asking people who 'shouldn't' ...thus not allowing to fall in with his 'witch hunt' claims

10 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Borrowed from WOTB -

And the award for the most ridiculous exaggeration of the season goes to..............................................................

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...oh dear NN is clearly put out by how this voting is skewed by asking who people think 'should' be playing rather than asking people who 'shouldn't' ...thus not allowing to fall in with his 'witch hunt' claims

It's perfectly reasonable to take into account what system we play if you want to play football manager.

What is ridiculous is your hateful claim that Cantwell contributed nothing. 

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's perfectly reasonable to take into account what system we play if you want to play football manager.

What is ridiculous is your hateful claim that Cantwell contributed nothing. 

Not hateful ...my observations on what I've seen (again not being prejudiced by age)

I'll invite again to declare your interest/ agenda?

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not hateful ...my observations on what I've seen (again not being prejudiced by age)

I'll invite again to declare your interest/ agenda?

So what do you think would be the result of a poll asking if Cantwell contributed nothing?

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Wolfie's still with the Tooting Popular Front 🙃🤣😂

Popular Front of Tooting... keep up 🙂

It’s clearly a real struggle for some posters to appreciate how to support young talent, and it’s such a shame.

25 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Borrowed from WOTB -

I've said before on here that 'scapegoat' is one of the most misused words on here. It wasn't long ago that Naismith and Martin were being called scapegoats by people who just couldn't take the idea that they just weren't very good at the time. 

It might just be a symptom of who I follow but I do find myself seeing far more 'people need to stop scapegoating/criticising Cantwell' posts than I do actually scapegoating/criticising him.

• Like 1