Atlantic Canary

How utterly poor was Tod Cantwell today

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

All for giving young players a chance, when the times appropriate but bloody hell , when we have a prize in reach that could make a massive difference to this football club for years to come, this is hardly the time for this kind of sentiment.

Jyst dont understand why we're trying to win a promotion with one arm tied behind our back when there's blatantly better alternatives on the bench?

I get what you're saying there, but maybe farke is throwing him in at the deep end and giving him the confidence to Express himself. I dont think we have an arm tied behind our back. Enjoy Fridays game... just hope it's better than today. I seem to notice Tim krul isn't scapegoat now after a vital save at 1-0... 

Far as I can see the only thing Todd has done wrong is to not be Emi.

IMO starting Leitner/Vranic is very long overdue but whilst we were winning every game its very difficult to make a convincing case to say Farke was wrong to stick with the same team team.

But we've now seen two poor and rather tired looking performances which suggest that Daniel maybe hasn't quite appreciated just how physically and mentally draining the long Championship programme is.

Still think we'll finish as Champions but would be a lot more confident if Leitner and Vrancic start the next game. The argument for sticking with a winning team no longer applies, time to play our best team especially as a couple of them have fresh legs.

• Like 6

I think most fans would have Vrancic or another start in front of Todd, but Farke thought best. Sometimes we make things hard for ourselves in hindsight, sometimes genius management like playing Aaron's ahead of a seasoned pro Pinto turn out to be inspired. Frustrating as today was, we should enjoy our amazing season do far.

• Like 1

Poor performance all round today, the midfield never really clicked. Thought McLean had a good game, but we clearly missed the creativity of either Vrancic or Leitner in the team. Cantwell didn't have a great game, but neither did Onel or Stiepermann.

I don't think Vrancic or Leitner should come in for Cantwell on Friday, they're both players who do their best work deeper. But Trybull and McLean don't deserve to be dropped, so maybe move McLean further forward and replace one of the front three?

If he does stay with the same XI against Wednesday, we need a QPR-style performance. Don't want to have the game in the balance for 75 minutes before we bring our most creative midfielders on.

On the basis of the last 2 games Farke has inadvertently done Cantwell no favours whatsoever. Buendia is a unique player and imo we shouldn't have been trying to replace him like for like. Bringing Vrancic in and making other tweaks to the midfield would have been far better and I bet we would have won at least one of those games. We have done this subject to death now yet I am still to read a single post that says Cantwell should be in the team.

4 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We know the underlying agenda you have with championing young players...but yes he was the worst....even on an off day Steipermann still laid on the ball for godfreys equalizer vs reading and put a cross on a plate for rhodes who should have made it 3-1...Hernandez is always a constant threat.

Cantwell has offered nothing in two games and isnt contributing.

What underlying agenda? 

"I know enough about football to know Hanley is a better centre back than Godfrey" sort of agenda?

"Cantwell offered nothing in two games and isn't contributing" is nothing short of disgraceful. Can you defender that agenda?

• Like 1

Looks like Todd will be joining Krull, Doc, Benno, Redmond and the Murphy brothers in Russ's scapegoat team againt Wes's lads.

• Haha 1

What a complete waste of air time - this thread is. Had to check league table after reading it to see how many points we need to avoid relegation, wake up take good look at yourselves in the mirror!!!!! This team of misfits and loanees are 7 points clear of third, quite probably about to join the football elite. It’s a fairytale, not the nightmare bollacks being posted on here!!!! 

• Like 2

I think that Cantwell played better in his first stint in the team, the first flush of youth so to speak.

This time around he seems more overwhelmed, more hesitant and a lot less effective. He's a trier though and not without talent.

He will come good in time, but whether his best will be enough at PL level is probably the only pertinent question, apart from the fact that it would be risky for Farke to once again include him in the starting line up this season.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I suspect he'll be a candidate to spend a season out on loan next year that could help him. He's had a bit of a stop start first season and could benefit from a consistent run somewhere like he had in Holland.

This thread is embarrassing on so many levels. 

The lad is very young and he is no Buendia, so stop comparing him to him and expecting the same performance from him. 

Surely people should focus on Hernandez or Steiperman if you are going to criticise, players who clearly have shown better this season and we have carried them in the last two games. They have been terrible and should be showing so much more in at this crucial stage of the season to get us over the line. 

get a grip and support the young players, we are going up. 

6 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

This thread is embarrassing on so many levels. 

The lad is very young and he is no Buendia, so stop comparing him to him and expecting the same performance from him. 

Surely people should focus on Hernandez or Steiperman if you are going to criticise, players who clearly have shown better this season and we have carried them in the last two games. They have been terrible and should be showing so much more in at this crucial stage of the season to get us over the line. 

get a grip and support the young players, we are going up. 

Nobody's comparing him to Buendia or even attempting to.....the debate is that we could/should have done something differently to cover his absence in these last 2 games

• Like 1

Todd deserves the other 'D' in his name firstly.

Secondly, the amount of times I've seen Todd play I've found he's lightweight in the tackle and isn't particularly pacey though his passing has been spot on. As a few others have already said, he may need another loan out somewhere to hone those parts of his game.

To call him 'utterly poor' is too harsh given his time out and the expectation on his shoulders right now. Farke got the call wrong at this vital time, Todd is clearly grappling with the pressure and still has a long way to go professionally, you should be looking at the head coach here and not the individual player.

Criticism is fair when it's level and deserved but to pan his performances so out of hand purely for your own attention seeking thrills on an internet forum that a handful of people read is really the definition of 'utterly poor'.

• Thanks 1

4 points "dropped" and fans are tearing themselves apart again, a few short months after predictions of mid table mediocrity.  It was naive for some to assume we had an easy run when facing 2 clubs fighting for every point. Need to brace ourselves for outrageous negativity when we lose a couple on the spin in the prem. Especially if we are missing a couple of key players.

• Like 1

Had a big golf day yesterday so didn't know the result until I came off the course.

Funny how things work out. I was quite pleased that we had got a draw. Slightly disappointed that we didn't get three but each point is precious and making it harder for the others. I bet Leeds and Blades supporters were upset at our result.

So I don't think now is the time to start blistering comments. We have had some great moments this season and as we approach the nervous last games I think we have to trust in DF's judgement.

It does sound as if Cantwell wasn't too good yesterday, along with two or three others. And personally I don't think the lad is quite physical or cocky enough at the moment. But he was/is part of a team that has played well for most of this season.

But if we got a point when we didn't play brilliantly against a side playing for its future and had to endure the dubious penalty then I don't think there is much to get nasty about.

I'm sure DF will have some deep thoughts about Friday knowing that a win puts us on the cusp (been wanting to use that all season) and maybe if results pan out it could put us up. Keep positive.

No-one should be blaming any of the players whether its Onel, Cantwell, Mclean or Stiepermann. I've not seen any lack of effort from any of our players in any of the games and its only really in those circumstances where I think players deserve stick. They are all clearly and obviously giving their all.

If anyone is to blame for the under par return from the last 2 games its Buendia for the stupid red card (although mitigation in terms of the treatment he was getting) and Farke for firstly not having already removed Buendia from the firing line in that QPR game and secondly for picking a team without either Vrancic or Leitner (or both) in it for the last two matches which was the obvious way to compensate for the lack of creativity and passing ability Buendia's absence brings. Farke is obviously hugely in credit but we all make mistakes in our jobs from time to time and the important thing is we learn from them. there has been no real damage done as long as he does and we get the win on Friday.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

No-one should be blaming any of the players whether its Onel, Cantwell, Mclean or Stiepermann. I've not seen any lack of effort from any of our players in any of the games and its only really in those circumstances where I think players deserve stick. They are all clearly and obviously giving their all.

If anyone is to blame for the under par return from the last 2 games its Buendia for the stupid red card (although mitigation in terms of the treatment he was getting) and Farke for firstly not having already removed Buendia from the firing line in that QPR game and secondly for picking a team without either Vrancic or Leitner (or both) in it for the last two matches which was the obvious way to compensate for the lack of creativity and passing ability Buendia's absence brings. Farke is obviously hugely in credit but we all make mistakes in our jobs from time to time and the important thing is we learn from them. there has been no real damage done as long as he does and we get the win on Friday.

What mistakes do you think Farke has made Jim, and do you think he will change things to try and rectify them?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I suspect he'll be a candidate to spend a season out on loan next year that could help him. He's had a bit of a stop start first season and could benefit from a consistent run somewhere like he had in Holland.

100% agree with this - He's a young lad who has vast potential for us and has come on in leaps and bounds this season, albeit perhaps not quite as far as Aarons and Godfrey.  He's not looked quite sharp enough the last couple of games and I think you would have to be a real optimist to think he's ready for regular football in the Premier League at this stage - but the only way he'll progress to that level is by playing regularly week in week out in the Championship or possibly abroad. I'll be surprised and quite disappointed if he's at Carrow Road next season to be honest, he needs to play pretty much every game next season to push his development that bit further and make him into a really top player and a loan - actually to a club like Wigan would probably be ideal - is the way to ensure that.

2 hours ago, Young Canary said:

He would look good in a lower league team but the F1 engine that is now NCFC he does look out of his depth 

Oh look, a duplicate Waveney account! He also 'liked' one of Atlantic Canary's posts. What a coincidence (and by 'coincidence', I mean 'attention-seeking tosspot').

32 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

What mistakes do you think Farke has made Jim, and do you think he will change things to try and rectify them?

I've just said above. i think he has got the last two starting line ups wrong and i'm not saying that out of hindsight, if you look back to before the Reading game very few fans wanted that line up in Buendia's absence and gave reasons why with their concerns proven justified by what we have witnessed. I also think that the lack of use of Leitner and Vrancic for the last 2 months has been questionable but obviously we won all those games so it didn't cost us anything. i do think that the team selections in the last 2 games were a mistake and I do also think that Buendia should not have still been on the pitch when he got sent off against QPR but obviously very harsh to blame Farke for Buendia making a reckless challenge.

Whether he learns from it I guess we will see on Friday with the team we put out. Normally he does learn pretty quickly and spots where things are not quite working. He's won us many points this season with his excellent management and has got us top of the league as a consequence. He's done and is doing an excellent job but i always believe you learn far more from those jobs/matters which don;t go smoothly than you do from matters that go completely to plan. 

That's not to say i don't think we are incapable of beating Shef Weds with the same team if they perform. i just think its a risk not to change it and we will play better if he does. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

If Atlantic Canary is Waveney Canary also, then that’s disappointing, just because now’s not the time of the season to post a negative WUM thread for a ‘laugh’.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

If Atlantic Canary is Waveney Canary also, then that’s disappointing, just because now’s not the time of the season to post a negative WUM thread for a ‘laugh’.

Atlantic Canary and Young Canary are both Waveney. Very sad individual, and at this rate he will literally be talking to himself before long because everyone else will have blocked him.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Atlantic Canary and Young Canary are both Waveney. Very sad individual, and at this rate he will literally be talking to himself before long because everyone else will have blocked him.

Here's an arduous task - trying to 'Ignore' Waveney. You need to set aside some time to do it!

image.png.0abc0a788078f3e43c3ce31245fe9219.png

18 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I've just said above. i think he has got the last two starting line ups wrong and i'm not saying that out of hindsight, if you look back to before the Reading game very few fans wanted that line up in Buendia's absence and gave reasons why with their concerns proven justified by what we have witnessed. I also think that the lack of use of Leitner and Vrancic for the last 2 months has been questionable but obviously we won all those games so it didn't cost us anything. i do think that the team selections in the last 2 games were a mistake and I do also think that Buendia should not have still been on the pitch when he got sent off against QPR but obviously very harsh to blame Farke for Buendia making a reckless challenge.

Whether he learns from it I guess we will see on Friday with the team we put out. Normally he does learn pretty quickly and spots where things are not quite working. He's won us many points this season with his excellent management and has got us top of the league as a consequence. He's done and is doing an excellent job but i always believe you learn far more from those jobs/matters which don;t go smoothly than you do from matters that go completely to plan. 

That's not to say i don't think we are incapable of beating Shef Weds with the same team if they perform. i just think its a risk not to change it and we will play better if he does. Just my opinion though.

Sorry to clarify that should say "i think we are incapable of......"

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Sorry to clarify that should say "i think we are incapable of......"

This is what most of us think. Don't blame Cantwell - Farke needs to hold his hand up for this one - he has loads of credits already and admitting a mistake (albeit for the best intentions) is human.  

Joined about a month ago, posts seem to be mostly garbage, this one is particularly daft, I've seen enough.

Edited by Flying Dutchman