Atlantic Canary

How utterly poor was Tod Cantwell today

Said when I saw the team that I was a bit concerned with Cantwell being out there again. Not because I hold any malice for Todd, but when he plays, we lack any width at all and it really impacts the way we play. He's also playing very conservatively at the mo - he's scared to take anyone on. He was poor today, as was Stiepi and various others - not sure why Hernandez is getting both barrels on here, I thought he was one of the better performances and caused Wigan an awful lot of problems. 

Ultimately, agree with others. We've tried to replace Buendia with someone who plays in his position when in reality, we need someone who plays with some of his attributes - Vrancic and Leitner give us more than Todd does at the moment.

He's a young lad with lots of potential, but it's clear it isn't working at the moment - we need to do something a bit different on Friday.

• Like 1

Maybe Farke sees these three games without Buendia as preservation rather big change. Might be wrong. Football is one of those great debating points. I personally would have Vrancic straying for Cantwell, but at the start of the season I would have taken Pulis over Farke. I obviously know s..t!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nope, was more to do with the stubborn comment. I'm not sure that's even a fair accusation to make, let alone suggest it's based on any facts of any sort?

If Farke was stubborn, I doubt he would play an inexperienced Max Aaron's over his own signing in Passlack, who, certainly before the season started, had a much bigger reputation than our Max.

Maybe Farke played the same team because he believes that was the best setup to win the game? Maybe it has nothing to do with stubbornness?

I mean after all, if it were up to you we wouldnt even have Farke...

Not really certain if you are being serious or are on a wind up?  But I suspect you have targeted me and no matter what have decided to jump on me as soon as I have posted.  However, that is rather silly considering the following!

My use of the word "stubborn" was enough to cause this reaction from you!!! :classic_wacko: -

"Yeah, bloody useless that Farke is..🙄

Some of you are an absolute embarrassment. "

Yet in your very next sentence you criticse Hernandez for being "exceptionally poor"! 

That is not a fair criticism to make given how he was relatively cheap, has been a great performer for us this season and helped to get us to where we are at the top of the league!  Now is it?  How dare you say that Hernandez was "exceptionally poor"!

"As for Cantwell he was ineffective but offered more than Hernandez, who had an exceptionally poor game by his standards."

Over to you Mr Hypocrite 😉

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

The problem is that Todd's not Emi. But as we've seen the last 2 games neither are Onel or Marco. And if you manage to shoehorn a centre mid in there they won't be either. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The problem is that Todd's not Emi. But as we've seen the last 2 games neither are Onel or Marco. And if you manage to shoehorn a centre mid in there they won't be either. 

Spot on.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Nobody's expecting him to be Emi....but the problem most have and can see is that he isnt the next best alternative we have to him...

• Like 2

Most supporters have seen Vrancic make an impact when he has come on in the last 2 games; we must now see whether Farke believes his starting 11 is his choice on Fri. I like the fact he is giving Cantwell a chance but I think the experience of Vrancic and Leitner is needed to get us over the line.

2 minutes ago, splutcho said:

Spot on.

Agree with this but as the substitutions in both the last two games showed we can change the shape of the team and players (Vrancic, Leitner) to still give us the zip, composure and invention of Buendi. It's the like for like that was misplaced.

We know the underlying agenda you have with championing young players...but yes he was the worst....even on an off day Steipermann still laid on the ball for godfreys equalizer vs reading and put a cross on a plate for rhodes who should have made it 3-1...Hernandez is always a constant threat.

Cantwell has offered nothing in two games and isnt contributing.

Cantwell possesses talent, no question. But clearly it isn't on the same level as a Vrancic or Leitner. Or at least not currently. 

Farke's faith in the youngsters is more than admirable, however in this instance I don't think Farke is doing Cantwell any favours playing him ahead of Vrancic or Leitner. This anti Todd agenda Is born out of the fans desire to see two of our better players play. 

Without Buendia there is a massive burden placed on Cantwell at such a crucial stage of the season. I wonder if Farke's judgement on this occasion has fallen short, and a more experienced head would have been a better call? There's no denying our last two results have ended more positively than they looked to be heading with Cantwell on the pitch, as harsh as that sounds. 

Edited by Il Pirata

41 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We know the underlying agenda you have with championing young players

I'd like to think we all have an 'underlying agenda' with 'championing' our young players, but that's just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Was it you behind me who said "was that Cantwell" every time a player made a mistake. He got all disappointed every time it was someone else.

Was he 25 stone with a mouth full of scampi? 

Think we would be best putting stiepermann wider and getting vrancic in the middle. concentrate on winning the midfield battle and then breaking with Aarons on the right.

• Like 1

Don’t think it’s fair to single out any player today.  The coach got it wrong.  Wigan out thought us and got their tactics right.  We didn’t. We were predictable and they made it count.  Hopefully a gentle reminder today for Farke et al that we can’t take anthing for granted.  

I’d like to see Mario come back in, purely because before his injury he was probably the best player in the Championship. 

The stick Todd is getting is ridiculous. He’s a smashing player and produced one of the best moments of the first half when he hit a 45 yard pass to Stiepermann’s feet and then Pukki just missed getting on to the cross.

• Like 2

He's one of our own, so lets get behind him. But at the moment there are better candidates for that position. His has come a long way and will be an asset to the team in the future.

He ran about like a little boy lost all game and when your own players are trying to avoid passing to you then you need to up your game.

he didn’t. It is no coincidence that we have drawn 2 games we should have one with him playing.

time for a long stint in the under 23s I a afraid

Max,Jamal,EMI, Godfrey youngsters doing brilliantly but not cantwell 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

OP should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for posting such an unfair and toxic thread on this MB. After not having started for so many games and therefore lacking match practice, Todd Cantwell was asked to replace an exceptional and unpredictable player and operate within the established system and, unsurprisingly, it has been challenging for him to do so. Nevertheless, he is a player of undoubted quality. I saw him make his impressive debut away at Reading back in October and he was one of the stand-out players in the away victory. It so annoys me when players are singled out in such a negative way. QPR game apart, but with Buendia in the team, our players have looked nervy and unconvincing for some time but with good fortune we have maintained a winning run. Fact is that almost all our players have been lacklustre for some time and IMO particularly against two teams in Reading and Wigan who are fighting for relegation and who sussed us out and set themselves up accordingly. To highlight one player as the cause for these poor performances is, frankly, one dimensionally stupid and completely unsupportive and unhelpful. I really hope that Todd doesn't read this MB. I'm so p----d off with themoronic doughnut of an OP for starting this thread. 

• Like 5

It’s not Cantwell that is the issue as such, he’s done ok. The issue is the combination of the absence of Buendia and. Midfield without a natural playmaker in it. Cantwell (and possibly McLean) should be the one to make way but that does not mean he should be the scapegoat.

• Like 1

Being a local lad, I really want Todd to do well but hes just not there yet for me.

He was all over today, at times he was our farest wide left player, which left us not only throughlty exposed on the right, but with no outlet there either.

Wigan also played round and sometimes through him very easily.

I've had a huge amount of respect for Farke for sticking with the same team after succsessful periods, but the performance and result against Reading meant it was the perfect time to bring both Leitner and Vrancic back today.

On the whole we were incredibly poor today.

• Like 2

The kids 21 years old. Only played 27 games at this level. Give him a chance. I'd understand if hes 25 and played 200+ senior games but he hasn't. Been out the team a long while and has to try and fill emis boots. I know you're now going to say EMI is similar age, but he's had far more experience in Spain, and look who he was at in 2009-2010... leave Cantwell be, all the lad can do is try his best like the rest of the squad. Got to think it is a long gruelling season for them. Lots of midweek games crammed in too. 

The pr1ck can't even spell his name properly never mind offer insightful or balanced analysis. Disgraceful OP - now muted.

If Todd reads this thread I hope he sees the support he IS getting from us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

The pr1ck can't even spell his name properly never mind offer insightful or balanced analysis. Disgraceful OP - now muted.

If Todd reads this thread I hope he sees the support he IS getting from us.

Agree! Keep it up Todd 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

The kids 21 years old. Only played 27 games at this level. Give him a chance. I'd understand if hes 25 and played 200+ senior games but he hasn't. Been out the team a long while and has to try and fill emis boots. I know you're now going to say EMI is similar age, but he's had far more experience in Spain, and look who he was at in 2009-2010... leave Cantwell be, all the lad can do is try his best like the rest of the squad. Got to think it is a long gruelling season for them. Lots of midweek games crammed in too. 

All for giving young players a chance, when the times appropriate but bloody hell , when we have a prize in reach that could make a massive difference to this football club for years to come, this is hardly the time for this kind of sentiment.

Jyst dont understand why we're trying to win a promotion with one arm tied behind our back when there's blatantly better alternatives on the bench?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

All for giving young players a chance, when the times appropriate but bloody hell , when we have a prize in reach that could make a massive difference to this football club for years to come, this is hardly the time for this kind of sentiment.

Jyst dont understand why we're trying to win a promotion with one arm tied behind our back when there's blatantly better alternatives on the bench?

Spot on!