Sign in to follow this  
pete

You would have thought Wednesday was a wake up call

I think “blowing it” is a bit strong, but think not changing things up after Wednesday and leaving things completely unchanged and therefore predictable has got us into a pitch battle.

I understand Farke keeping faith with the players that started against Reading, but he must surely start the game with either Vrancic or Leitner against Shef Wed. 

Farke's approach has got us clear at the top of the table. We might not even have anything to 'blow' (so to speak) if he had changed any given personnel at any given point before now. 

I don't think Cantwell has been great in these two games but he's not played much for months so it was a tough ask and I admire Farke's trust in our young players so much - if it wasn't for his attitude Pinto would still be at right back. Mario arguably could take his place but ultimately it's another decent point against a Wigan side who I thought played well and have been hard to beat at home. That's 26pts from 30 so I'm not sure how 'blowing it' is in any way justified. We are now on the cusp of promotion - 1 win from 4 means Sheff Utd have to win all 4 games to catch us. 2 wins from 4 and they can't catch us. What an unbelievable position we're in.

Good  point @Chip20 but even a previously winning lineup should not be sacrosanct. (And obvs without Emi it’s not even the same lineup)

The consecutive draws/scares vs well set-up but lowly teams (who’d worked out how to challenge & very nearly beat us) have only been rescued by late changes. I reckon DF will take note at some point and tweak.

We also look laboured. Our high energy game is starting to take its toll after 40+ games in one of the most gruelling leagues in the world.

Champions need to grind out results. We did that against Rotherham, Middlebrough and now a good point to Wigan. Two games coming up against limited oppositon with not much to play for. We only need 4 points from the last four games and we are up, probably as champions.

Would certainly be a surprise not to see a change for Friday, but two draws and being 7pts clear of third is hardly “blowing it”.  It must be wonderful for the likes of Keith Scott and pete to be able to finally come out of cover and have a good moan.

We do need to take stock. Neither of the last two games have gone to plan - and in both cases we been rescued by late changes, Vrancic, Leitner and Rhodes. A 1 for 1 swap of Buendi for Cantwell doesn't work and makes us look very ordinary. Vrancic and Leitner to start for Wednesday for Cantwell and 1 other. Past time for Farke to make some astute changes as even on our 8 win run there were many times when we were not convincing in midfield. Back to winning way please.