lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Wigan*****

The difference in the way we moved as a team when Vrancic and Leitner were on the pitch was very clear - but they probably can't both start. We got a bit lucky today - a lot like the Brentford game - Wigan were better than us all over the pitch, and that may even qualify as our worst performance since Christmas.

But (and I hope you're reading this WestCoast) Krul had a very good gameĀ - his save at 1-0 was crucial, but he did well all game and nearly got the pen as well. I'd probably even say he was my MOM - no one else in the team stood out particularly well.

Too many central midfielders and not enough wingers, but I guess Marshall was meant to be, well, better...

This may already have been discussed, and I haven't seen the penalty, but the ball hit Godfrey's leg and deflected on to his arm? The new interpretation is that if the arm is in an "unnatural position" - generally sticking out - then it is a penalty, intentional or not. The logic being that the arm should not be where it is and has stopped the ball from going where it was intendedĀ  to go. But in this case it wasn't Godfrey's arm that stopped the ball from reaching its intended destination - it was his leg.

14 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

No way was it a pen (no matter what the idiot on sky says) but Wigan wereĀ worthy of the lead.

Positives are we never ever give up and have a clinical striker. Pukki most definitely POTS.

Hopefully these 2 draws will see a change in starting line up. Replacing Emi was always going to be tough but I donā€™t think there can be an argument that Cantwell just isnā€™t as effective as either Vrancic or Leitner. If it means moving players around then I hope thatā€™s what happens, we canā€™t keep leaving our best players on the bench

Exactly...we're prepared to throw theĀ formation out of the window and move players around when chasing the game....lets not paint ourselves into that corner by starting with those players on the first place

...another reason to start correctly on Friday will be the absence of the option of Rhodes to come off the bench

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This may already have been discussed, and I haven't seen the penalty, but the ball hit Godfrey's leg and deflected on to his arm? The new interpretation is that if the arm is in an "unnatural position" - generally sticking out - then it is a penalty, intentional or not. The logic being that the arm should not be where it is and has stopped the ball from going where it was intendedĀ  to go. But in this case it wasn't Godfrey's arm that stopped the ball from reaching its intended destination - it was his leg.

It was never a penalty and Danny Higginbottom called it too early on the telly and then couldn't retract when he saw the replay. VAR would have changed the decision so that won't happen next year in the PL. Ben Mee did the same yesterday for Burnley when he headed it onto his hand and everyone agreed it couldn't possibly be a pen.

Another positive, Emi will be fit and firing for a return on Easter Monday. 2 games in 4 days is tough along with all the other fixtures lately so our most influential creater having a rest until what could be the defining game could be crucial

Ludicrous penalty decision and sky have just said that the ruling is changing next season for incidents like that one

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Exactly...we're prepared to throw theĀ formation out of the window and move players around when chasing the game....lets not paint ourselves into that corner by starting with those players on the first place

...another reason to start correctly on Friday will be the absence of the option of RhodesĀ to come off the bench

That had completely slipped my mind and is an excellent point.

Phew, great resolve yet again, and more bottle than most of us fans!Ā 

Really no excuse for Farke to not play Vranic and Leitner next Friday. Vrancic especially changed the outcome in the last two games. These two can provide the impetuous to see us over the line. Factor in Emi too, and there should be no doubt. A few weary legs and minds out there.Ā 

OTBC.Ā 

Ā 

We must, must, must get the majority of the points If not all of the points needed over the Easter period. Back to back wins incoming please šŸ™šŸ»šŸ™šŸ»šŸ™šŸ»

Farke will have to break the habit of the season to bring Buendia straight back into the tram on Monday.

9 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The difference in the way we moved as a team when Vrancic and Leitner were on the pitch was very clear - but they probably can't both start. We got a bit lucky today - a lot like the Brentford game - Wigan were better than us all over the pitch, and that may even qualify as our worst performance since Christmas.

But (and I hope you're reading this WestCoast) Krul had a very good gameĀ - his save at 1-0 was crucial, but he did well all game and nearly got the pen as well. I'd probably even say he was my MOM - no one else in the team stood out particularly well.

Leitner for Cantwell and Vrancic for Stiepermann or McLeanĀ 

19 minutes ago, JF said:

Two games over Easter against teams with nothing to play for. Wednesday looked woeful against Leeds and Stoke have been poor all season. Massive opportunity now to seal promotion in those games. We must start with the best we have available, Leitner and Vrancic to be in the teamĀ 

Ā 

Unfortunately we traditionally get crucified over Easter

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JF said:

Ludicrous penalty decision and sky have just said that the ruling is changing next season for incidents like that one

Loved Farkes reaction to that,Ā ā€˜doesnā€™t help us now thoughā€™

Edited by Fiery Zac

Did anyone see stokesĀ performance vs Rotherham? I only saw stats and some highlights and my word they were poor. Sheff Wed were pretty awful too aside from their excellent keeper. Max points and we can put our collective feet up ( as fans. The players have to keep going and be professional, but at least I wont need to invest in adult nappies.)

Edited by CanaryChris

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Ā 

True. But this team donā€™t do tradition. I believe weĀ will be celebrating promotion on MondayĀ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Ā 

No ...it's when we rise again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...another reason to start correctly on Friday will be the absence of the option of Rhodes to come off the bench

Denis to win us promotion!Ā 

• Like 1

Just now, CanaryChris said:

Did anyone see Stokes performance vs Rotherham? I only saw stats and some highlights and my word they were poor. Sheff Wed were pretty awful too aside from their excellent keeper. Max points and we can put our collective feet up ( as fans. The players have to keep going and be professional, but at least I wont need to invest in adult nappies.)

Ā 

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Ā 

Should be nailed on six points!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

We were never going to make it easy wereĀ weĀ šŸ˜€

Ā 

Thing is though, before Reading we had won 8 on the trot, yet not run away with the league. Keeping such a run going was never going to be sustainable, but what we have done is remained unbeaten. In the last 2 games when the chips were down we managed to find something, so we still have momentum. In probability terms, if we dont lose again this season (minimum of 4 additional points, with Sheff Utd 7 points behind with only 12 points to play for) we're going to go up.

For any poster who keep saying Reading and Wigan were banker wins...no, i always thought they would actually be two of the hardest to win in the run in, both fighting for their lives to stay in this division...witness the same for Millwall at Sheff. Utd. Of course add in the missing Emi and it was even harder but we have got thru the 2 games with 2 invaluable points even after not playing well. It ensures that we are still top come the Stoke game and Emi's return..even if we lose on Friday and Leeds win, but please we dont really want that outcome. Krul, yet again, made important contribution to the team, he has proved his worth time and again this season.

Perception is a strange thing, if our last 10 games had been more mixed, say WWWDWWWDWW instead of WWWWWWWWDD, it gives the same pointage, yet put the 2 draws at the end of the run and to some it feels different. Hey ho, 4 games to go and 7 points clear of 3rd place...an incredible position to be in.

• Like 1

Vrancic in the middle....McLean on the left....Hernandez on the right on Friday for me. Would have no issues if Leitner came in for McLean too.( and swap positions with Vrancic

...why are we trying to win promotion with one arm tied behind our back?

In the last four games we have gained 8 points, Leeds 9 points and Sheffield United 5 points. So we have extended our lead over the Blades and dropped just 1 point to Leeds so there is no need for us to wobble in our faith in the lads to get over the line.

OBC, never mind the danger!