Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Will Wigan do us a favour?

Well, my question is tongue in cheek, however it stems from a Sky Sports interview with the Wigan manager early this afternoon.

He was basically saying that we were good, top of the league and that there were other more realistic games that they have coming up.  He said their game against us would not define their season and he listed the 3/4 games that would.  Within this context he was talking about Nick Powell who is struggling with an injury and he said that if there were any doubts about his fitness he would not risk him in Sunday's game.  Saying that it was much better to have a fully fit Powell for the few games after Norwich, than to risk him against us and then for him to be out for the games that were more realistic.

Obviously, I'm in no way suggesting, or believing that Wigan would throw the game.  Far from it.  With only 5 games remaining they are desperate for points.  However, maybe there will be a slight thought in the back of their minds and especially if we were to take the lead, is it worth their best players taking risks of getting sent off or risking injury, when they have more winnable games coming up.

Powell will probably start and score now, lol.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

Have to say that this sounds like a load of kiddology to me. Can't see anything other than a fully fit and totally committed Wigan team turning out on the day (hope I'm wrong of course). 

No match is a given but we have more than enough quality  to come away with all the points .

Having nearly half of the attendance should take away any home advantage too . 

Most definitely Lizard.  I don't expect anything less than a fully committed Wigan team.  They have a very good home record.  They have lost the same number of home games as us this season!

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

Unless my old brain is playing tricks on me I seem to recall that Hughton in the Prem for us fielded a perceived "weakened" team in a couple of games, to have players ready for more winnable games.  Obviously no question of committment or desire from the team that is out on the pitch to be playing for the win.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Wigan wont be trying that hard. It's not as if we are Leeds.

Their manager is ex-Norwich too.  Will probably give us a regulation 2-0 victory lol

• Like 1

Wigan will obviously be trying to win but the manager will be pragmatic. If he has a player 50-50, it makes sense to not risk it and save him for a game they have a better chance of winning.

Look at it next season when (!) we are in the Premier League. Buendia is 50-50 to play and we're playing Man City next, followed by other teams near the bottom. What would you do?

Edited by All the Germans

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Wigan will obviously be trying to win but the manager will be pragmatic. If he has a player 50-50, it makes sense to not risk it and save him for a game they have a better chance of winning.

Look at it next season when (!) we are in the Premier League. Buendia is 50-50 to play and we're playing Man City next, followed by other teams near the bottom. What would you do?

Play emi as it will be a six pointer for top spot, we'll have enough quality to see off the likes of palace and Newcastle without him 😁

• Haha 4