Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

And in this strange Brexit/Tory mixed up world which looks like we will continue to suffer and try and tolerate under Truss....we learn that Truss in 2016 warned that investment would fall, trade would suffer and living standards would fall. Her predictions have proved true.

And yet now she states she was wrong ... and that Brexit is full of opportunity. But it isn't.

She has hailed her trade deals and yet independent analysis has indicated problems ahead for some UK sectors (farming especially)

If you want the ERG to vote for you.

So when she comes out within her maiden speech as PM just turn the sound off when it comes to "love this nation, servant of the people and the country comes first" bullshine.

People think he is an idiot but Danny Dyer's summation of Brexit was the most accurate.

We can blame who we like but it was the corrupt Spiv Cameron who caused all this.

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Still, good news about the delays getting over to the continent this morning. 

And guess who the government is blaming?  Yes that's right, French Customs.  Some things never change; the EU is still the scapegoat for the UK's self-inflicted problems.  Will those who took us out EVER accept responsibility for the consequences?

Apparently the numbers still in favour of Brexit are now ten points behind those against. 

Brexit was an act of national self-destruction.  Little Britain lost its dominant position in the world nearly a century ago, and it would rather destroy itself than settle for anything less.  When empires finally collapse, they do so from within. 

Things are going to get worse I'm afraid, and to whom do we turn?  Not the Tories for obvious reasons, and not Labour because their paymasters the unions are only too pleased to exploit the post-Brexit labour shortage to the full, pushing inflation even higher.  Does anyone actually care about this country's future?

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

And guess who the government is blaming?  Yes that's right, French Customs.  Some things never change; the EU is still the scapegoat for the UK's self-inflicted problems.  Will those who took us out EVER accept responsibility for the consequences?

Apparently the numbers still in favour of Brexit are now ten points behind those against. 

Brexit was an act of national self-destruction.  Little Britain lost its dominant position in the world nearly a century ago, and it would rather destroy itself than settle for anything less.  When empires finally collapse, they do so from within. 

Things are going to get worse I'm afraid, and to whom do we turn?  Not the Tories for obvious reasons, and not Labour because their paymasters the unions are only too pleased to exploit the post-Brexit labour shortage to the full, pushing inflation even higher.  Does anyone actually care about this country's future?

Sadly it seems not.

As I'm oft heard to mutter under my breath, thankfully I'm not a youngster starting out as it's all so depressing...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

As I'm oft heard to mutter under my breath, thankfully I'm not a youngster starting out as it's all so depressing...

I can see where you're coming from, but we've been here before. 

If you're of a similar age to me (71) you'll have been in your 20s in the chaotic 1970s when the UK's identity as "the workshop of the world" disintegrated, the Saudis turned off the tap and oil prices surged, and the £ was devalued.  Result: Stagflation (high inflation coupled with stagnant growth, the economic equivalent of the Black Death).  That's what we have now though no one dares to use the word, least of all Rishi Sunak. 

There was constant industrial unrest with the army called upon to collect rubbish and dig graves, a three-day working week, scheduled power cuts, squatting (with zero access to affordable housing if you were single and under 40), etc. etc.  But things did change.  Thatcher had a dream ticket because almost anything would have been better, which made the '80s seem like a golden age to some.  It was never that - although it did get me onto the housing ladder in 1990 at the age of 39.

Is this any worse, or does it just appear worse because our generation has seen it all before and knows that we're likely to run out of road before anything better comes along?

Edited by benchwarmer

5 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Traffic queues at the Port of Dover Dover, Kent 22-07-2022 Photograph by Martin Godwin

Happy brexitty holidays everyone.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Indeed! I've written to Rees-Bogg to suggest another for his  Brexit bonus list. There's a very obvious opportunity for door-door salespersons on the M20. They could sell sandwiches, pain killers, drinks, sleeping bags, portable toilets, sedatives, dog walking services etc, etc, etc. Indeed, anything a person could possibly want for a weekend break camping out in Kent.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

I can see where you're coming from, but we've been here before. 

If you're of a similar age to me (71) you'll have been in your 20s in the chaotic 1970s when the UK's identity as "the workshop of the world" disintegrated, the Saudis turned off the tap and oil prices surged, and the £ was devalued.  Result: Stagflation (high inflation coupled with stagnant growth, the economic equivalent of the Black Death).  That's what we have now though no one dares to use the word, least of all Rishi Sunak. 

There was constant industrial unrest with the army called upon to collect rubbish and dig graves, a three-day working week, scheduled power cuts, squatting (with zero access to affordable housing if you were single and under 40), etc. etc.  But things did change.  Thatcher had a dream ticket because almost anything would have been better, which made the '80s seem like a golden age to some.  It was never that - although it did get me onto the housing ladder in 1990 at the age of 39.

Is this any worse, or does it just appear worse because our generation has seen it all before and knows that we're likely to run out of road before anything better comes along?

Yep! The early seventies were grim in many ways. However, I'm rather glad I grew up as a kid in those times than a child growing up now. Some advantages include: entry into the EU (EEC), access to social housing, less environmental destruction, much smaller global population, free higher education etc. None of those advantages exist now. I have (blind?) faith that the youth will somehow find a way through the problems that have been the previous generation's legacy, but I fear it is going to be something of a turbulent struggle for them to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

How very dare the French want to stamp our passports. 

And I had been so assured that we had taken back control!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I seem to remember that you had a mild dislike for Simon Calder?! 

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

I seem to remember that you had a mild dislike for Simon Calder?! 

Oh yes, an unreasonable one really...

It's just the TV stations that wheel him out at every opportunity whenever there's the slightest bit of news regarding travel, no matter how tenuous a link it is.

He can't be an expert on everything from potholes to Elon Musk's satellites...😁

*or maybe he can, and is.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Haha 1

I think it's because...and maybe it's a little unfair on him....he is like a turd that won't flush.

Still, he may at some stage at least buy a new suit on his many travels. He must get so many opportunities. Those suit jackets and shirts he wears look suspiciously 1982. At least change those glasses Simon😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sonyc said:

I think it's because...and maybe it's a little unfair on him....he is like a turd that won't flush.

Still, he may at some stage at least buy a new suit on his many travels. He must get so many opportunities. Those suit jackets and shirts he wears look suspiciously 1982. At least change those glasses Simon😐

It's not just me then...😂

• Haha 1

Andrew and fellow brexiters have been saying the EU will fall apart since the referendum. It might be something to think about as your annual holiday falls apart,thanks to brexit.

• Like 1

Ah...Andrew Neil, the bastion of neutrality when it comes to all things European.

Or ... just the bastion.

6 hours ago, Herman said:

You tell 'em Liz. Them and their bloody brexit.

the line underneath the heading was deleted by a sub editor

"because we can't"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

the line underneath the heading was deleted by a sub editor

"because we can't"

So the woman who just said FU to the EU regarding the Northern Ireland Protocol believes that France should sort out our traffic problems. Not very bright is she!!!

6 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

UK economic indicators 2022 are better than the EU right now. It's not a forecast which are useless, especailly OECD forecasts.

Hahahahaha! How very convenient. Seems you didn't read the report you quoted, "For 2021 as a whole, UK GDP growth was 7.4%. This was the highest in the G7. The UK had the largest decline in GDP among the G7 in 2020 (-9.3%) and its relatively strong performance in 2021 was to some degree a recovery from weakness in 2020."

I take it you didn't view all the graphs either:

GDP of G7 economies in Q1 2022 compared with pre pandemic level of Q4 2019

The very idea that ANY government anywhere in the world could develop its economic policy without  forecasts from experts such as the OECD, tells us how seriously we should take your musings on economic issues.

Edited by horsefly

Thankfully, I no longer have to commute to Dover. The drive from Reykjavík to Keflavík is much better, even in the winter 🙂

Whoever gets the PM gig next should  be prioritising better relations with our neighbours, instead of creating the acrimony that we have seen over the last few years 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 17:09, Herman said:

Traffic queues at the Port of Dover Dover, Kent 22-07-2022 Photograph by Martin Godwin

Happy brexitty holidays everyone.

A little late night research tells us that on exact the same day as yesterday in 2016 before Brexit and guess what? Yes thats right queues for Dover going to france:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/french-border-staff-cause-12-8482042

c4318e5c-ff26-463e-83e3-1b1398dfdcc3-32631191-e3c6-40eb-8f86-b31978d3ac1e

So nothing to do with Brexit and I can't work up much sympathy for people who choose to inflict this on themselves in preference to the West Country, the Lake District, Snowdonia or Norfolk, and line the pockets of Macron's treasury instead of our own tourist industry.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

A little late night research tells us that on exact the same day as yesterday in 2016 before Brexit and guess what? Yes thats right queues for Dover going to france:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/french-border-staff-cause-12-8482042

c4318e5c-ff26-463e-83e3-1b1398dfdcc3-32631191-e3c6-40eb-8f86-b31978d3ac1e

So nothing to do with Brexit and I can't work up much sympathy for people who choose to inflict this on themselves in preference to the West Country, the Lake District, Snowdonia or Norfolk, and line the pockets of Macron's treasury instead of our own tourist industry.

Only 12 hours! Only 10 miles! Gosh! Those were the days! Halcyon times!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/07/easter-getaway-hit-traffic-chaos-lorry-tailback-dover-stretches/

And he is the reason why I think Labour's approach to brexit is the right one. There are millions of chumps that still won't admit that brexit has changed the way of how everything works and how it has made life so much harder. 

Brexiters, climate change deniers, covidiots etc are all similar. It doesn't matter how much evidence is shown to them they will never change their mentality. Brainwashed masquerading as free thinkers.

• Like 1