Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

I am getting so tired that any of these idiots think that they are in the right and the EU wrong. Of course it doesn't work. It was never going to. But the Brexit policy was written years ago without anyone giving the slightest though for what would happen at the Irish border. Why does the Irish Government have to be bothered in the slightest? Its our mess to sort out. But there is no way to sort it out without rescinding Brexit.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am getting so tired that any of these idiots think that they are in the right and the EU wrong. Of course it doesn't work. It was never going to. But the Brexit policy was written years ago without anyone giving the slightest though for what would happen at the Irish border. Why does the Irish Government have to be bothered in the slightest? Its our mess to sort out. But there is no way to sort it out without rescinding Brexit.

As others have pointed out -

What sort of government of fools negotiates a deal that they then think is so bad they have to break accepted international law to walk away from only a year or two later - as according to the very same fools it's a 'necessity' for the state facing a 'grave and imminent peril'. The only 'grave and imminent peril' is Boris Johnson and his floozies. Morons.

Frankly that state of affairs alone should be a resigning matter for the government of any modern state.

But no, basket case Britain bumbles on unable to stop digging even bigger holes while the world looks on in utter shocked amazement - and sells the pound. After all a basket case is a basket case.

Lastly, I don't want to hear any moaning from those that voted for Brexit, especially a hard Brexit, about the cost of living. Whereas it would of been tough with Ukraine & Covid etc. it's made doubly worse by Brexit and the economic headwinds for business (Oh - I forgot - it's **** business to quote Johnson wasn't it). Suck it up Brexiteers - history will remember you (painfully). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

“EU exports have increased for the third consecutive month in April 2022 and are at the highest levels since records began“

for info

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

“EU exports have increased for the third consecutive month in April 2022 and are at the highest levels since records began“

for info

I think that's only due to the LNG terminals!

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Possibly, must confess was surprised to read the data in the latest ONS report.

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Possibly, must confess was surprised to read the data in the latest ONS report.

The Europeans don't really have LNG terminals - we do (and little storage) so it its imported and moved on from here via the interconnectors which are working full tilt. That's the reason. 

https://www.cityam.com/boost-for-global-britain-as-uk-exports-to-eu-defy-brexit-challenges-and-hit-highest-level-ever/

Edited by Yellow Fever

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The Europeans don't really have LNG terminals - we do (and little storage) so it its imported and moved on from here via the interconnectors which are working full tilt. That's the reason. 

https://www.cityam.com/boost-for-global-britain-as-uk-exports-to-eu-defy-brexit-challenges-and-hit-highest-level-ever/

Precisely! We ain't going to benefit a lot from being a go-between. I suspect there won't be any exporting SMEs cheering these figures.

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I do know that Bacton has been pumping gas to Europe during summer months for many years. Sounds like the Rolls Royce aircraft engines bolted down at Bacton have been working in overdrive.

28 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Partially, having just looked into it. According to ONS it appears exports of machinery and transport equipment were even more significant!

“Increases in exports to the EU were driven by increases in machinery and transport equipment of £0.6 billion and increases in fuels of £0.5 billion”

Edited by Van wink

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Partially, having just looked into it. According to ONS it appears exports of machinery and transport equipment were even more significant!

“Increases in exports to the EU were driven by increases in machinery and transport equipment of £0.6 billion and increases in fuels of £0.5 billion”

I think the  city am article gives quite a good account of the forces and direction of travel of UK exports. There will always be exceptional items as above ie the LNG.

David Cameron has a lot to answer for. He started this referendum in the first instance.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

David Cameron has a lot to answer for. He started this referendum in the first instance.

Although I agree, there should never have been a vote, it was always anticipated that we would vote to stay. The reason that the leave vote won was that Johnson, Farage, Mogg etc were allowed to tell blatant lies. Lots of people made decisions based on those lies and in any other industry those responsible for destroying our country would be sacked.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Although I agree, there should never have been a vote, it was always anticipated that we would vote to stay. The reason that the leave vote won was that Johnson, Farage, Mogg etc were allowed to tell blatant lies. Lots of people made decisions based on those lies and in any other industry those responsible for destroying our country would be sacked.

And those lies werebased on a premise of racism. We are right and all the others are wrong and trying to screw us. 

They couldn't accept we weren't being screwed. We were masterbating ourselves senseless.

I've noticed on a few threads that trade union action has come up here and there, but not on this thread. Trade union influence died with our entry into the EU and seems to be resurging since our exit from the EU, so does the resurgence of the trade unions count as a positive of Brexit?

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I've noticed on a few threads that trade union action has come up here and there, but not on this thread. Trade union influence died with our entry into the EU and seems to be resurging since our exit from the EU, so does the resurgence of the trade unions count as a positive of Brexit?

In my view, trade union influence died in the 80's under Margaret Thatcher, rather than the 70's when we entered the common market 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think brexit is making people realise that they need protection from the brexiters.

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

Reports like this remind me of George Osborne's oddly specific statement that leaving the EU would leave households £4,300 worse off each year, which was an order of magnitude worse than the figure claimed here. 

EU inflation for May was 8.1%; UK inflation was 9.1%. The UK figure is clearly, worse, but both are so dire that any comparison seems somewhat academic. 

Generally, I'm suspicious of reports that make speculative comparisons to where we'd be in a parallel universe where we didn't leave the EU. Vague statements like “a less open Great Britain is expected to be poorer and less productive,” just smack of political campaigning rather than objective study. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

42 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Reports like this remind me of George Osborne's oddly specific statement that leaving the EU would leave households £4,300 worse off each year, which was an order of magnitude worse than the figure claimed here. 

EU inflation for May was 8.1%; UK inflation was 9.1%. The UK figure is clearly, worse, but both are so dire that any comparison seems somewhat academic. 

Generally, I'm suspicious of reports that make speculative comparisons to where we'd be in a parallel universe where we didn't leave the EU. Vague statements like “a less open Great Britain is expected to be poorer and less productive,” just smack of political campaigning rather than objective study. 

It is one more report from an esteemed organisation in a long list of esteemed organisations that all claim Brexit is going to cost the country dearly. Even the government's own department puts the cost of Brexit at 4% of GDP. Next year we will have the lowest growth of all G20 nations (excluding Russia). I see no reports from any credible source that says Brexit will have a beneficial economic effect.

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/about-us/team/

On 14/06/2022 at 13:13, keelansgrandad said:

I similarly get very tired of the presumption in here that the EU is automatically in the right based on its own say so: The EU says the UK's proposed action on here is illegal, so everybody on here states that it's illegal as fact without it yet being tested in a court, regardless of the validity of the UK government's defence for the bill currently in parliament under article 16 of the NI protocol. 

This from the Taoiseach: "We accept fully there are legitimate issues around the operation of the protocol and we believe with serious sustained negotiations between the European Union and United Kingdom government, those issues could be resolved."

The EU repeatedly stated during the negotiation process that its insistence on keeping Northern Ireland in the Customs Union if there was to be any TCA at all was all about preserving peace. It's therefore fair to assume that the EU must have genuinely believed that the arrangements of the agreed NI protocol would be absolutely fine if they made the agreement. However, in the face of real world evidence that it's not working, Tony Blair's own statement as a major contributor to the Good Friday agreement is that the EU needs to be much more flexible in its approach. 

This from Tony Blair's institute for change study in a paragraph talking about what's needed to find a compromise that he believes can work without changing the text of the existing protocol: "It could be done within the framework of the protocol, but would require significant movement from the EU on its stated position around the protocol’s interpretation."

And that's the key point: In spite of the fact that the NI protocol's implementation has led to the DUP's refusal to enter into power sharing with Sinn Fein the EU is not even willing to countenance adjusting its own interpretation of the legal text to address political problems in NI that the protocol was supposedly intended to prevent. 

This from the government's legal position on the NI protocol bill: "The Government’s clear preference remains a negotiated solution with the EU to address the situation of necessity that has arisen. The Protocol contemplates the possibility of being superseded, in whole or in part, by subsequent agreements (Article 13(8)). Moreover, the Parties agreed to include in the Withdrawal Agreement a time-limited mechanism for making amendments necessary to “address omissions or other deficiencies, or to address situations unforeseen when this Agreement was signed” (Article 164(5)(d)). This mechanism is available to the Parties for a period of four years from the end of the transition period."

So the EU agreed in the text of the protocol that if there were problems then the protocol could be adjusted, but now that we're in a position where there are demonstrable problems acknowledged by the Republic of Ireland, it flatly refuses to countenance this.

The Republic of Ireland is singing from a very different hymn sheet from Brussels; while Brussels talks of tearing up the whole trade agreement in retaliation, the Republic of Ireland is working to play down these threats in a bid to find a workable compromise. This is because Dublin understands the sensitivity of NI, is directly affected by the problem, and is keen to make the protocol work, while Brussels simply doesn't care and is primarily interested in continuing a public relations battle to show how big and strong it is while it continues to fail to deal with its internal problems regarding Hungary and its dependence on Russian gas. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/irish-pm-martin-warns-britain-over-its-nireland-law-2022-06-19/

https://institute.global/sites/default/files/articles/Fixing-the-Northern-Ireland-Protocol-A-Way-Forward.pdf

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Hope you're all enjoying 'Independence Day', remember all of the great things we were promised, see how many you can tick off the list. Also, what ever happened to the commemorative 50p?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Hope you're all enjoying 'Independence Day', remember all of the great things we were promised, see how many you can tick off the list. Also, what ever happened to the commemorative 50p?

Every single one of those promises unfulfilled. Worse, the very opposite of those claims is the reality of Brexit. Everyone who voted leave should be forced to watch that then personally admit it was all lies.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Gosh - I forgot all that twaddle. It was really like taking candy from a baby. Most were very very gullible.

I wonder if things like this will enter the school curriculum in the future as examples of how to identify internet frauds. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Edited by Yellow Fever